IGNORED

The UK's most popular retro game is… 'Pandemonium!'?

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I actually like Pandemonium. Would deserve a modern rerelease. Got a real soft spot for the 2.5D platformers of the 32bit era. 

Agreed - its a great game I fire up often.  Also looks pretty good in Duckstation

I worked at EB when this came out and do remember it being inexplicably popular at the time. Teenage me used to call it pantsdemonium (LOL) whilst encouraging everyone to buy Symphony of the Night instead, which would inevitably be returned because it looked ‘old fashioned’. 😠

23 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I actually like Pandemonium. Would deserve a modern rerelease. Got a real soft spot for the 2.5D platformers of the 32bit era. 

You could even say a modern rerelease would be a boon ;)

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

“a boon?”

”he means a wish, you idiot!”

why do I even remember that!?!

I don't know, but I'm glad you do, as it means it's not only me that does 😛

To be fair, the intro is some classic dumb fun video from the era, here, for your viewing pleasure :)

I remember it being nice enough, but hardly the kind of thing that anybody would care that much about. How do they know people are searching for the game. 

Is it just an auto fill of when you start typing pandemic, and people search it by accident.

I remember this being a weirdly popular game.  It was one of those like The Sims or Dance Mats where you'd see people who weren't your usual customers, know what I mean? Seemed to appeal to girls.  Certainly sold a lot better than you'd imagine.  

Although in this instance surely there's some people just googling Pandemonium for whatever reason and the survey is assuming they're searching for the game each time.

Seeing as I've not heard of the company who did this, I would take it with a pinch of salt. Plus with Super Mario 64 being part of a recent Switch collection, I would expect the numbers to be quite a bit higher. In fact the numbers as a whole look very low to me. That and as others have pointed out it's a common word people will search for.