IGNORED

Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

disperse and recoagulate

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

How so? It’s exactly the same as the one with Johnson and the girl in, which you said was funny - that is, the joke is a child crying juxtaposed with an inappropriate reaction.

By the way, if anyone is interested I run an online course entitled ‘After Laughter Come Tears - How Jokes Work in a Neoliberal Wasteland’, limited spaces left (90% off this weekend only, early bird discount).

Jfc, man, they are different jokes - in one we punch up by being asked to laugh at a mean dickhead (Boris Johnson) because he is laughing at the misery of a small child; in the other, we are punching down by being asked to identify with the schadenfreude of the Leo character as he laughs at the misery of a small child - in that meme you are meant to be Leo, you aren't laughing at him, you're laughing with him at the child.

I wonder at this place sometimes, I really do.

7 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Jfc, man, they are different jokes - in one we punch up by being asked to laugh at a mean dickhead (Boris Johnson) because he is laughing at the misery of a small child; in the other, we are punching down by being asked to identify with the schadenfreude of the Leo character as he laughs at the misery of a small child - in that meme you are meant to be Leo, you aren't laughing at him, you're laughing with him at the child.

I wonder at this place sometimes, I really do.

Man, you really need to take my course!

It's not just an English peculiarity to use football for a bit of war based abuse, the Dutch (Germany's actual international rival they don't give too many shits about

us) have for years chanted: 'Ik wil mijn fiets terug' - it means 'I want my bike back' during games against Germany, it references:

On “Dolle Dinsdag,” or Rabid Tuesday, German troops panicked when the BBC announced that Allied troops had crossed the Dutch border (they hadn’t, in fact). Soldiers stole bikes from the general populace and rode out of Holland, with whatever they could carry. By the bicycle they came, and by the bicycle they left.

Sorry I just cannot understand how you could see any kid crying their eyes out in any context as an adult and derive schadenfreude from it, it is just baffling to me.

Again apologies for stinking up this thread, I genuinely thought it was an uncontroversial thing to point out, I'm a bit astonished honestly.

Please don't @ me anymore, just talk about the football for god's sake.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Well mostly it's because those cunts have made it their business to make this country such an utter cess pit that I don't feel English or British anymore and thus whatever a bunch of people who also have the misfortune to be born in this shithole do means considerably less than it might have. Hell if anything the presence of 3 Chelsea players in the Germany line up while England appear to have mostly forgotten theirs meant I might have been happier with a Germany win if Havertz and Werner had been the architects.

Didn't watch the first 2 matches, had about as much emotion from last night as your average Southampton vs Burnley and I don't support either of those two.  It's not anything they did last night ruined the match, it's what people like that have done to the entire country over the last decade or so.

I totally get what you're saying and kind of feel the same way, but at the same time I am still English and it makes a very welcome change to have something England does on the world stage that doesn't make us look like the racist sociopathic self-centred idiots so many of us unfortunately are. As others have said the best thing about this team isn't so much the way they play (although you can't argue with the results so far) but the fact that they seem like a genuinely decent bunch of people, which again isn't something we've always been able to say about our international footballers. The fact that they continue to infuriate the more knuckle-dragging element of their "supporters" (I use the word lightly to refer to people who boo them for displays of compassion and empathy) only makes me prouder of them, and in a small way alleviates the general shame I have to be English these days.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Well mostly it's because those cunts have made it their business to make this country such an utter cess pit that I don't feel English or British anymore and thus whatever a bunch of people who also have the misfortune to be born in this shithole do means considerably less than it might have. Hell if anything the presence of 3 Chelsea players in the Germany line up while England appear to have mostly forgotten theirs meant I might have been happier with a Germany win if Havertz and Werner had been the architects.

Didn't watch the first 2 matches, had about as much emotion from last night as your average Southampton vs Burnley and I don't support either of those two.  It's not anything they did last night ruined the match, it's what people like that have done to the entire country over the last decade or so.

If only all England fans could live up to the lofty standards set by Chelsea fans! 😉

1 minute ago, Darren said:

The fact that they continue to infuriate the more knuckle-dragging element of their "supporters" (I use the word lightly to refer to people who boo them for displays of compassion and empathy) only makes me prouder of them, and in a small way alleviates the general shame I have to be English these days.

This is one of the best parts for me to be honest.

5 hours ago, Eighthours said:

How much of this is actually drunken boorishness, though, and how much of it is just leaning into a friendly rivalry, with mates having fun singing stupid songs? Whenever I've been in a pub watching England play Germany (most notably in 2001 for the glorious 5-1 victory), the people I've been with have been leaning into the ridiculousness of it all, not being racist or 'nasty and bitter' in the slightest. I'm sure there are those who do that, but I don't think it's quite as described.

Agree completely. It's obviously just banter - if you took each individual out of those circumstances and away from the booze, would they have some sort of contempt for the Germans? Highly unlikely. I'm 99% certain there would have been plenty of pubs in Germany with the exact same behaviour, singing about beating us for 55 years. Would I find that offensive? Not in the slightest. In fact, it's part of football / sports culture - at league level within same cities there are chants about each other's teams, taking the piss (perhaps that element is more British though).

If you're getting offended over a load of drunkards singing '2 world wars and 1 world cup' 55+ years after the fact during a football game, you're probably the type of person that chooses to get offended over anything and enjoys 'cancel culture'. 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

By the same measure, shouldn't you have have mixed feelings about identifying as a Chelsea supporter considering who owns them and the reputation that some sections of the fans have?

6 minutes ago, Janson said:

I'm 99% certain there would have been plenty of pubs in Germany with the exact same behaviour, singing about beating us for 55 years.

No, not really.  It's a bit like England vs Scotland, for the Scots it is the biggest game possible, but England have had the upper hand for so long that they have bigger fish to fry.  The Germans deeply respect English football, but have won so often that they haven't really seen us as a threat for a long time.  And they get every aspect of the Lineker line about "Football is a game between two teams of 11 men and after 90 minutes the Germans win."

3 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

What happened to the England band btw? Did they fail their covid tests or what? Hyped up all day on the BBC, then I didn't hear a peep out of them (thankfully!).

They decided against turning up as it might have been offensive to you.

;)

1 hour ago, Smoothy said:

To stop a "Gazza" happening, right? 🤔

Yeah, but I think it came into club football first (obviously Roy Keane in the CL was another example, so it was still a thing in 1999.)

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Yeah, but I think it came into club football first (obviously Roy Keane in the CL was another example, so it was still a thing in 1999.)

UEFA brought it in for their club competitions from the 2014-15 season, but first used it in Euro 2012.

20 hours ago, Simmy said:

Genuine question, but why were you annoyed about the booing of the German national anthem?

You know how much Germans despise England, right?

English fans booed the anthem during the first England game I watched, think it was Croatia. At some point, it's less about country vs country politics and more about English football fans* being petty.

*not all fans, etc., etc.

Football sure brings out the awful side of people sometimes, behaviour that wouldn't be OK suddenly becomes fine because it's classed as banter. It's proper playground shit where people are told they're killjoys if they call it out. Watching a football match is such an intimidating place to be if you're not a white loutish man, and all this stuff along with looking the other way when others do it just gives fuel to the really nasty stuff because those people know that they can get away with it.

22 minutes ago, NickC said:

Football sure brings out the awful side of people sometimes, behaviour that wouldn't be OK suddenly becomes fine because it's classed as banter. It's proper playground shit where people are told they're killjoys if they call it out. Watching a football match is such an intimidating place to be if you're not a white loutish man, and all this stuff along with looking the other way when others do it just gives fuel to the really nasty stuff because those people know that they can get away with it.

Yeah, you get all this bullshit that you’re not a proper fan of you don’t go and see your team regularly etc. Along with the financial logistics I’ve just never vibed with football culture. It’s always been too boorish, ladish and at times nationalistic and tribalistic. I love the game, but I’ve always felt uncomfortable at an actual match, and as such isn’t how I’d choose to consume football. Not that this is a knock or a reflection of the majority of those who attend games, it’s always been a minority but a significant one enough that we hear the chants and boos on our screens. I see the celebrations of topless jubilant fans at Wembley and you’re supposed to be envious and want to be in the middle of that, I watch it and I’m glad that I’m not.