IGNORED

Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

disperse and recoagulate

Let's face it, we were all fighting each other every single tournament since this site started (I still remember the arguments re England v Germany when Germany was 2-1 up, England scored a non-goal and we lost it 4-1 in the end but lots of people reckoned we could have beaten Germany if that non-goal was legit because they would have been rocked yadayadayada) but 2018 was a great tournament for England supporters, maybe not so much for IKEA or for the police who had their car jumped on :D

Never liked the Beckham era golden generation. Too many egos and many unlikable players. Players seemed more interested in being a celebrity rather than a football player. Even grounded players like Crouch seemed to get swept up in the whole circus. Then the media frenzy. The wags 🤮

It all culminated to leave us with years of dull stodge under Hodgson. 2018 gave us a bunch of likeable players and manager who seemed grounded and although far less talented than the ‘golden generation’ they played far more as a team. They felt relatable and exciting. First semis since ‘96! Definitely exciting.

This group are technically more better than than previous England teams in my memory and actually play as a team like 2018. And very much a likeable bunch who if they have egos keep it off the field. 

Tyldesley trying to talk about England-Scotland whilst simultaneously trying to get a sneering dig in about previous encounters and being told to shut up and watch the (very good) game by Ally McCoist has been my favourite part of the tournament so far. 

14 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Never liked the Beckham era golden generation. Too many egos and many unlikable players. Players seemed more interested in being a celebrity rather than a football player. Even grounded players like Crouch seemed to get swept up in the whole circus. Then the media frenzy. The wags 🤮

In part I think that's because society then was ridiculously celebrity focused, the papers latched onto any old footballer shite and our footballers were very self-absorbed and inward looking. 

Now we have a group of players who are way more outward-looking, as many of their generation are. With the growth of Twitter and Instagram they control the narrative much more than the papers do and are able to go on Insta and post the interior of their latest Lambourghini, whilst also using the same channels to campaign and raise awareness. 

46 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Yeah 2004 was exciting. Then there was a friendly against Argentina in 2005 or 2006 in which I thought England played really well.

I think of that friendly as the last time I was really satisfied with the way they played against major opposition for a very long time - every tournament after that was a damp squib, culminating in 2016 when I wanted Iceland to win.

Yeah, I remember that match against Argentina - it was a great game.  However, everyone always forgets this -  

:D

A performance and result that marked the moment this generation changed from a limited but spirited and likable bunch to a team that might actually go on to achieve something.

Nothing summed up the ego of the previous generation of England players than Joe Hart trying to psyche out Andrea Pirlo and getting Panenka’d for his troubles.

Is it wrong of me to tune in for the second half, see Weghorst shithouse the goalie and a defender in quick succession and think “Mmm, he would do a job at Burnley”?

28 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Yeah, I remember that match against Argentina - it was a great game.  However, everyone always forgets this -  

That's because no-one bought their attempt to make people care about friendlies when the team and management don't.

Nothing says more about how Europe is a rapidly integrating whole than players named Martin Brathwaite, Thomas Delaney and Denzil Dumfries are not playing for the countries that you think.

Anyway fuck me, what a goal for Ukraine.

6 minutes ago, Plissken said:

He’s a right back not a left back.

5 minutes ago, artz said:

He (usually) plays right back not left back.

Hahaha, yeah of course - he didn’t have much to do in the game so I didn’t notice that - very observant as he was walkers ‘replacement’ at Spurs :facepalm:

14 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Nothing says more about how Europe is a rapidly integrating whole than players named Martin Brathwaite, Thomas Delaney and Denzil Dumfries are not playing for the countries that you think.

Anyway fuck me, what a goal for Ukraine.

Ironically the three mentioned have origins even further afield - Wiki says Guyana, America and Aruba.  There’s also O’Shaugnessy from Finland who does have an Irish dad :)   I thought the same when watching the Denmark-Finland game until, well, I thought about other things.