Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

4 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

Where's Lawrenson these days? Feels like he's not around much at the moment with his hilarious asides.

I believe he's now resident compere at the Comedy Store in Manchester.

6 minutes ago, artz said:

Has anyone else been hearing unnatural sounding crowd noise surges during the matches? This is on a stereo setup. Like they're mixing microphones from different parts of the stadium but ramming the crossfader too fast.

yeah I kept hearing that through out the game

Even if ITV offered a 4K picture with free beers delivered to my door, I'd still watch the final on the BBC so that I don't have to listen to Sam Matterface. He was on one last night. One of the worst commentary displays I've ever heard.

In a parallel universe somewhere, this man doesn't get caught with a suitcase full of cash, and England continue to be absolutely average forever more. What a journey.

sam-allardyce-everton_1717zvvss6bm010o4qojmv7oa4.jpg

Also: Emma Raducanu gave an accurate score prediction in her Wimbledon interview the other day! (Though their tweet below presents it as a prediction for Sunday. 👀)

13 minutes ago, marsh said:

In a parallel universe somewhere, this man doesn't get caught with a suitcase full of cash, and England continue to be absolutely average forever more  Sunderland become perennial top 10 finishers in the Premiership. What a journey. 

IF ONLY... 😥

57 minutes ago, artz said:

Has anyone else been hearing unnatural sounding crowd noise surges during the matches? This is on a stereo setup. Like they're mixing microphones from different parts of the stadium but ramming the crossfader too fast.

It's that rarely heard sound of England fans cheering decent football. 

Well aware that I might be seeing this through biased eyes, but I really think this narrative that it definitely wasn't a penalty isn't correct.

https://streamable.com/ry3cnc

There's clear enough contact as you can see from this angle. It's a bit soft granted, but the defender made a tackle in the area, didn't get the ball, and made contact with Sterling. Can absolutely see why it was both given and not overturned. Penalty for me and I genuinely believe I would have said the same thing at the other end.

55 minutes ago, artz said:

@SeanR described it as a flanging effect last night, and after he said that, I kept hearing it.

Also on the subject of audio: did the referee's whistle seem pretty quiet to anyone else, even allowing for the larger and noisier crowd?

11 minutes ago, Nick R said:

As lovely as that is, if she got it because she had one of those "Mason Mount, Best Footballa EVA. Chelsea LEGEND. Can I have your shirt?" cardboard signs, then no. Just no. 

5 minutes ago, John0 said:

There's clear enough contact as you can see from this angle.

Contact is, in itself, not a foul. 

Of course, this penalty or not could be debated until the cows come home, but I think it's moot - England were the better team and deserved the win, however they managed to do it. If it had gone to penalties and England lost, they'd have been massively unfortunate and Copenhagen council would be erecting statues of Kasper Schmeichel on every corner.

I'd probably agree with that, aye. VAR doesn't have enough information there to know why Sterling went to ground. 

In his post-match interview, he said something to the effect of "he touched me so it's a penalty", which to me suggests Sterling made the most of the contact. Not a part of the game I particularly enjoy, but he was otherwise superb last night. Every time he went forward I expected something to happen.

10 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

As lovely as that is, if she got it because she had one of those "Mason Mount, Best Footballa EVA. Chelsea LEGEND. Can I have your shirt?" cardboard signs, then no. Just no. 

Also covid restrictions?

10 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Contact is not a foul.

Yeah of course. But if we're going to get into definitions then the rules say it's a foul if a player "kicks or attempts to kick" or "trips or attempts to trip" "in a manner considered careless by the referee". I think you can definitely make the case that this comes under that definition.

I'd disagree as he didn't kick, trip or attempt to do either. The trip is the only aspect that seems debatable, and I feel Sterling went down of his own accord having felt the contact.

But we'd be here all day and I doubt either of us will change our mind.

True, I feel like Sterling probably did that too. Though even if it probably isn't enough of a trip to actually make him fall over, that doesn't mean it's not a trip. And he obviously kicks out with his leg (although the contact is more knee to knee). And it's certainly careless, look how far he actually is from the ball.

It was more the narrative that I'm hearing that Sterling dived and that it 100% wasn't that I was objecting too (not necessarily in here). There's obviously room for nuance and interpretation.

52 minutes ago, marsh said:

In a parallel universe somewhere, this man doesn't get caught with a suitcase full of cash, and England continue to be absolutely average forever more. What a journey.

sam-allardyce-everton_1717zvvss6bm010o4qojmv7oa4.jpg

Someone should photoshop Jabbas pet thing in there.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

No it isn't, it was written for Euro 96.

Was it? Then what's was all the shit about Jules Remy still gleamimg? Have England ever won the Euros before? What a load of shit.

12 minutes ago, John0 said:

Though even if it probably isn't enough of a trip to actually make him fall over, that doesn't mean it's not a trip.

The question for me is, is it even enough contact to unbalance him? It's pretty much impossible to tell but if it is, it's so slight. I feel that Sterling was running into a cul de sac and went down to buy the penalty - if he was outside the penalty area or racing onto an open goal, that contact wouldn't have made any difference to him.

And he obviously kicks out with his leg (although the contact is more knee to knee).

He attempts a tackle and has planted his foot before Sterling makes contact. This is not a kick.

And it's certainly careless, look how far he actually is from the ball.

The careless caveat in the rules concerns kicks, trips and attempts thereof. If it's not a kick and it's not a trip (and again, trip or not is the only question) then it doesn't matter if he threw caution to the wind.

It could be a trip. I don't think it is. And really, I don't think there's any way of proving it either way.

But of course, you never said it definitely was, you said it's not definitely not a penalty, which I think I'd forgotten in this little back and forth. You aren't wrong about that.