Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Breaking news. Mason mount out of the final after girl he gave shirt to tests positive for covid 

Ban Request. 

I just watched the last 5 mins of the match and the celebrations again while I had my lunch. Feels good. Almost a tear, not used to this. ^_^

For all that everyone is (correctly) slating ITV, they did finish their coverage last night playing World in Motion over the montage, so they got a nod of respect from me.

1 hour ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

I feel like it's steadily been on the rise in other sports for a few years. Rugby, darts etc. Also Darren Till used it in Liverpool for a UFC fight and the place went nuts.

I have been playing it on loop in the office today and anyone who walks by stops to sing the chorus. 🥰

I can only presume the people calling for Rashford haven’t noticed his performances when he’s been brought on in this tournament - he looks horribly out of touch. 

I think someone nailed it early. England really are playing like a team with no idols distracting them. Maguire's desire and passion last night was infectious. They all fought for every ball and ran their socks off. 

34 minutes ago, Flanders said:

I can only presume the people calling for Rashford haven’t noticed his performances when he’s been brought on in this tournament - he looks horribly out of touch. 

He's ready, plus it's the perfect game for him to start in terms of the opposition.

That was such an incredible atmosphere inside the stadium last night. A mate of mine said before the game that the atmosphere probably wouldn't live up to what he experienced at the Brazil WC in which Brazil played Colombia in Fortaleza. Afterwards he admitted it was on par.

Sunday is going to top it (if we win). I am absolutely overjoyed to have gambled on the semi/final tickets this year. Although being amongst the crowds last night you can almost taste the covid. 

4 hours ago, PeteJ said:

there's also one player (Walker? can't remember) who seems to love passing backwards no matter where he in on the pitch, but for the most part everybody (including the two I've named) have been good to watch.

I suspect this is probably Declan Rice, who looks allergic to passing forward most of the time.

I can't imagine it was Walker as he was excellent last night.

C'mon Italy, you're our last hope. There is a lot to like about this England team and how they've played, but no, still can't get behind them for the following reasons: 

- The media circus and awful snugness/arrogance from the pundits/broadcasters 

- Knowing that an England win will bring joy to so many racists and Brexit voters

- Harry Kane, absolute cheat of a player 

- Prickford, RIP VvD never4get 

-Sterling's blatant dive last night 

- Fuckin' Baddiel and Skinner 

- The general hypocrisy regarding England's "clever play. People still go on about Suarez "cheating" and preventing Ghana to progress in a world Cup, all fine when it's Sterling cheating. 

Reasons to want England to win: 

- Jordan Henderson 

- err... 

- Guess Rashford is a decent chap

9 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

There's always some bellend...

Euro 2020: England charged by Uefa after 'laser' penalty incident -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57763001

i really do hope they find who was doing that and ban them from attending any matches for years. A general warning needs to go out to the public so anyone found copying that behaviour gets the same punishment.

I wouldn't put Rashford in the team for the Final. He's not been that effective when he's come on and is clearly suffering from an injury. Sancho looked much more spritely and effective when he was a starter. I love Rashford but he's not playing at the level he's clearly capable of. He's said as much himself. 

53 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I think someone nailed it early. England really are playing like a team with no idols distracting them. Maguire's desire and passion last night was infectious. They all fought for every ball and ran their socks off. 

I don't buy this for a minute. The Gazza / Beckham / Rooney was media driven, most England teams since the mid nineties were packed with on paper incredibly good players that won European competitions and league titles. The media threatened to set off a circus over Harry Lane this time, but he inconveniently scored. 

What they have is a gameplan, a manager building a team to that gameplan rather than trying to slot the best players in, more composure on the ball and a dollop of luck denied previous teams. England were the better side last night on the end, but Denmark still had a few chances they didn't score, and the weakest penalty you've ever seen. The draw itself has been kind - even Germany at the end of their cycle was fortunate. 

34 minutes ago, Azrael said:

C'mon Italy, you're our last hope. There is a lot to like about this England team and how they've played, but no, still can't get behind them for the following reasons: 

- Knowing that an England win will bring joy to so many racists and Brexit voters

- The general hypocrisy regarding England's "clever play. People still go on about Suarez "cheating" and preventing Ghana to progress in a world Cup, all fine when it's Sterling cheating. 

- Jordan Henderson 

- err... 

Kalvin Phillips is a good egg. He could have walked on Leeds and went to a pretty decent Premiership side. He absolutely kept us ticking last year, and it was seriously notable when he was gone. He misses his granny. And like the rest of the current Leeds team appear to be very decent people. 

I want to see him cry as his dreams slip away. I am a small man. A small petty man. 

43 minutes ago, ckny said:

Maguire has been absolutely immense, by the way. Where are the 'why are we taking an injured Maguire' lot now?

I hold my hands up, I was one of them. It wasn't exclusive to him, I just thought with Henderson, Rashford and potentially Kane unfit that might have been a lot of dead weight to carry and it gave me horrible flashbacks to the Sven era and picking on big names vs form. More than happy to be proved wrong!

1 hour ago, ckny said:

Maguire has been absolutely immense, by the way. Where are the 'why are we taking an injured Maguire' lot now?

I'm still here. I don't think you should ever take injured players to a tournament. Good on him for recovering and performing, as long as he's fit and ready for real football afterwards.

45 minutes ago, sir podger said:

i really do hope they find who was doing that and ban them from attending any matches for years. A general warning needs to go out to the public so anyone found copying that behaviour gets the same punishment.

People have been doing it for years tbf. Must be over five years ago that Ronaldo was being zapped with one.

I didn't think it was a good idea taking injured players, no judgement on Maguire who is excellent it just didn't sit well with our history on such decisions.

It does seem though that in the same way players can hit golden periods of form where stuff goes in off their arse and mishit crosses float in at the back post Southgate is having such a managerial spell.

Don't begrudge it him one bit and he's earning his moments, its not down to blind luck, but every decision he is making around this tournament is paying off so far, from squad selection, starting lineups to subs everything is coming up Southgate - just hope he's got 1 more match in him before his run ends.

4 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I didn't think it was a good idea taking injured players, no judgement on Maguire who is excellent it just didn't sit well with our history on such decisions.

It does seem though that in the same way players can hit golden periods of form where stuff goes in off their arse and mishit crosses float in at the back post Southgate is having such a managerial spell.

Don't begrudge it him one bit but every decision he is making around this tournament is paying off so far, from squad selection, starting lineups to subs everything is coming up Southgate - just hope he's got 1 more match in him before his run ends.

You realise we got to the semi final in the last tournament we were in, right?

Maybe his decisions are paying off because they're... good decisions?

7 minutes ago, Timmo said:

You realise we got to the semi final in the last tournament we were in, right?

Maybe his decisions are paying off because they're... good decisions?

Of course, but I don't think you'd look at the underlying performances or team and think it was achieved in the same way at all.

That was a surprise package over performing and having a nice draw situation, scoring from set pieces then hanging on for dear life.

He's clearly learnt massively from that and instigated a whole plan to ensure that we aren't getting to the latter stages by chance but by design, and thats where my comment comes in that it really feels everything he's designing and deciding is paying off in a rare moment of things all coming together. 

The old Mike Tyson line usually applies about ''everybody has a plan til they get punched in the face or the military has a less brutal 'no plan survives first engagement with the enemy'

All Southgate plans are surviving thus far, he's in a flow moment where it's all working out, lets hope it continues. 

2 hours ago, Azrael said:

- Jordan Henderson 

- err... 

It’s pretty much all bollocks that you can apply to every country’s team.

Not wanting England to win because there are dickhead fans. But wanting Italy to win because there’s absolutely no fascist/nationalistic element to their fanbase? Or any country? 

I support Liverpool and there’s lots of dicks supporting them like every club, do I not want them to win because it will bring joy to the twats?