Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

2 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Filth

I was sure at the time he meant to hit it with his instep to whoever is nearest him towards the sideline, and instead he gave it a perfect mis-kick.

Having watched the replay above, I’m still not sure it wasn’t a lucky error. Still looks amazing, and I’ll happily give him the benefit.

1 minute ago, jonamok said:

I was sure at the time he meant to hit it with his instep to whoever is nearest him towards the sideline, and instead he gave it a perfect mis-kick.

Having watched the replay above, I’m still not sure it wasn’t a lucky error.

You can see him take a glance towards Mount when the ball is in the air, think you can't really see it in that clip

Where has this talk of Three Lions being about a tournament being hosted in England come from (as suggested by a few people some pages ago)? The lyrics would make no sense in that context. 

But Baddiel in that interview states it is about being an England fan, daring to dream but expecting to lose - nothing to do with the tournament being held in England. Broudie just says that's what it means to him, but he didn't write the lyrics. 

The lyrics also make no sense if it was about hosting a tournament (how does '30 years of hurt' work in that context, for example?)

Thing is when you put a song out into the world then you kinda lose ownership of it's meaning.  Football's Coming Home means many different things to many different people.   To me it was always a sense of cashing in on the literal (England are hosting a tournament, there's probably a few quid in having a novelty record) that grew into something bigger than Baddiel, Skinner & Broudie ever figured and the excitement of "this might actually happen for once, right?".  It was never about ownership of the game or any bollocks like that. 

Unpopular opinion time:

I'm predicting Italy 2-0 England

Goals

26 mins (Italy start fast and go one nil up)

81 mins (England leaving gaps while pushing for an equaliser and Italy counter)

12 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

I feel like it's steadily been on the rise in other sports for a few years. Rugby, darts etc. Also Darren Till used it in Liverpool for a UFC fight and the place went nuts. 

They play it every time the Carolina Panthers play….obviously, and I f*cking can’t stand it.

We need to change it to this…

We got to the final. Amazing. 

And judging by the internet every other country in the world seems to want us to lose. And I really can’t say I blame them given these past few years. As a nation we’ve been an embarrassment imo. Might as well stick a bow on top then and win it.

2-0 England! 

I'm really sick of people on social media etc moaning that the final is on a Sunday night (the latest being a video of some shrill dickhead on Tiktok my sister forwarded to our WhatsApp group, to much 😂's obviously).

It's only been that way for the last 30-40 years after all ... you can tell who normally stops watching after England go out.

I think when people know you like football they will also make an effort to engage you during a tournament on this subject, when normally they wouldn't bother.

We should all post the best 'why isn't the manager playing Wayne Rooney' type comments we get.

I get none of this.  Am I just following non shit people?

Well apart from the "Look at me I don't like football why is everything football" comments that out number football comments by 10:1 and always from people who would complain if you, for instance, told them video games were shit all day every day for a month.

Three Lions - @Fry Crayola and @Dudley are right.  That said, the chorus has changed meaning for virtually everyone since to refer to England (hopefully) winning whatever tournament is currently being played, instead of about hosting one (i.e. Euro 96 - which is what it initially was referring to).  It probably changed meaning the moment when the Germans won it - they sung it clearly as a reference to them winning yet another tournament which in their mind meant that Germany was the real home of football.

2 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

There appears an equal amount of salt from the minority who can't seem to handle the notion of people not wanting their team to win.

Rubbish, the level of salt on Twitter and Reddit and various other online discussions from the ABE crew is enough to put the Cornish Sea Salt Co. out of business.

It's been beautiful to watch.

1 minute ago, Fry Crayola said:

There appears an equal amount of salt from the minority who can't seem to handle the notion of people not wanting their team to win.

Hmmm, not really, certainly not equal. How did you work that out?

1 minute ago, Fry Crayola said:

Well I can't speak for other places I don't visit, I guess. Just stay out of the salt factory and you'll all be good.

We are getting an awful lot of grief. I'm sure you can see that even if you've only peeked around the door of the salt factory.

Edit: Not 'we', the team itself.