Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

5 hours ago, Festoon said:

Absolute fucking lol. The utter penis.

2616.jpg

Has he put whatever that England shirt is over his work shirt.  Please get Covid again and not be able to go to the final and.....other things happen.

The England team could get some of Scotland on side for Sunday by issuing a collective statement saying the current English government are total cunts and they reject everything they stand for.  

It won't happen, but would be amazing if we win and then the team refuse to go to whatever bullshit reception Boris wants to throw for them in a couple of weeks time ala some sports teams in the U.S refusing to go to the White House and/or they all spend the next few weeks going on about 'woke' issues in every interview.

What does it feel like to win a major championship?

Great, but not as great as it would be if the government stopped trying to drown immigrants in the English Channel/tried to feed hungry kids/stopped jingoistic flag bullshit/defended people booing us taking the knee/etc.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

The knots people tie themselves in over a game of football, especially we Scottish. Have some class. If you want England to lose, keep it to yourself and when speaking of it publicly, wish them luck. 

Good luck for Sunday, England. 

Fuck that. C'mon Italy!😉

*i bet them to win before the tournament. Good odds as well!

4 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Business owner?

Me? No - why would you announce a bank holiday with 3 days notice in any circumstance, but especially where it assumes England will win.

And 350,000 signing a petition is not putting the government under pressure. 

Woah... https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/09/italian-football-federation-panic-after-tv-crew-members-test-positive-for-covid

...the federation fears that the contagious Delta variant may have hit the federation officials, who are following the Italian national team, despite distancing and anti-covid measures having been observed during the European Championship between the members of the FIGC.

Also there are plenty of part time and casual workers that lose money because of a bank holiday.  A lot of whom probably have to budget for them.  Doesn't really work when you'll have it confirmed 10pm the night before.

What are we thinking for the XI on Sunday then? I think he will name an unchanged side and stick Mount on Jorginho. I would be tempted to bring Henderson in for Rice just for his experience and superior passing, but I don't think he will do so from the start.

I've seen people suggest 3 at the back again, but I can't see how that makes sense. Going a man short in the middle against Jorginho and Verratti seems like a very bad idea.

shame his movement and positional play is dog shit. i'd have picked henderson any day. you can see the defenders crying out for someone to pass to with that useless bugger positioned behind an opponent or better yet he's far too up the field thinking he's Paul Scholes when we're yet again forced to play back to Jordan "i cant kick straight because my feet are shaped like triangles" Pickford.  There's so much good in our England team, but Philips isnt one of them

58 minutes ago, The Fox said:

What are we thinking for the XI on Sunday then? I think he will name an unchanged side and stick Mount on Jorginho. I would be tempted to bring Henderson in for Rice just for his experience and superior passing, but I don't think he will do so from the start.

I've seen people suggest 3 at the back again, but I can't see how that makes sense. Going a man short in the middle against Jorginho and Verratti seems like a very bad idea.

It's a properly fascinating conundrum.

3 at the back gives us extra protection in the channels against Insigne and Chiesa, and allows Shaw and Trippier to bomb forward against weak full backs.

But like you say, being a man short against that middle is incredibly dangerous.

On the other hand, giving Saka free reign in front of 3 man midfield, against Emerson would lead to overloads on the right, which in turn creates space for Sterling/Shaw to exploit on the left.

Mount sits in the AMC position pressing Jorginho, then drifts right when we win the ball, dragging the Italian defence with him.

Equally, stretching play through Sancho would achieve the same thing, and create more space in the centre for Kane.

This is all armchair tactical theory though. 

I think we might go 3-5-2, dropping Saka for Trippier and playing Sterling up front with Kane.  Mount will be key, sitting on Jorginho but also providing much of the attacking creativity. We'd obviously be able to change the system later in the game if required.

7 hours ago, Shook said:

I read a tweet suggesting England must be on PEDs because 'no-one can keep running like that for 120 mins.

Spain put up with the same shit when they were in the ascendancy. Fuck them it's just jealous bullshit. England deserve to be in the final more than any other team based on the performances.

I think with Spain there was some actual smoke to accompany that story though. This seems to be based on Sterling working hard in the semi final of a major tournament like that's beyond someone's physical capability. 

4 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

The England team could get some of Scotland on side for Sunday by issuing a collective statement saying the current English government are total cunts and they reject everything they stand for.  

Southgate’s statement at the beginning of the tournament isn’t far off, even before we get to Rashford.

13 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I think with Spain there was some actual smoke to accompany that story though. This seems to be based on Sterling working hard in the semi final of a major tournament like that's beyond someone's physical capability. 

Yeah, Spain were bang to rights until they burned the documents. It's an asterisk over Barca and Spain over that period - they both had the same doping guy from the cycling (name escapes me).

27 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

A fellow football fan tries to show a bit of empathy with us England fans in regards to the negativity our team is copping and you lot are straight on him lol.

Not straight on anyone (and sorry to @Minionif it read that way). Just saying that in the case of Spanish club and international football of that era, it wasn't just claims.

Sky One HD: Terry Venables: A Man Can Dream. On till just before 2300. About Venables' life but obviously there's a significant bit about Euro 96 and the preparations for it.

• gospvg changed the title to Euro 2020 - Come on England!
  • gospvg changed the title to Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy