Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

23 minutes ago, Gabe said:

"It's final day! I'll go catch up with the rllmuk Euro's thread, there's been some really good chat in there and the buildup should be good,"

homer.gif.da43a1507cb04f95372061122031bdb0.gif

To be fair though, he’s not particularly good at trolling. But God loves a trier.

Pickford would be who I'd target if I was Italy, he's still got the ability to get flustered kicking really quickly and once you've forced him into one error he starts beating himself up for 5-10m and is more prone to another error, he's done it a couple of times in this tournament so far but none proven costly - most players you force into a mistake and hope to capitalise on that moment, with him you get a few more possible moments thrown in for free.

8 minutes ago, sith said:

I'm worried about Pickford making an error tonight trying to play out from the back.

This is a worry I think many of us share!

He seems to lose his head after a period of time, almost like he's bored and looking for something to do.

Apparently Trippier is in for Saka, so 5-3-2.

Hard to see where a goal is coming from in that system, so seems very much a safety first approach to go man for man on Emerson/Insigne, with a view to changing it up later in the game.

5 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Hard to see where a goal is coming from in that system, so seems very much a safety first approach to go man for man on Emerson/Insigne, with a view to changing it up later in the game.

Italy have often stuck 9 behind the ball and tried to counter attack, so that will be a way to counter.

It is hard to see where a goal is coming from, but the one advantage the England forwards and midfield do have is speed.  Donnarumma behind that defence is a formidable barrier but Spain managed to score past them (and miss a hatful).

I've got Italy as 60/40 favourites but England have more than a punchers chance.

On 09/07/2021 at 16:48, feltmonkey said:

I think we might go 3-5-2, dropping Saka for Trippier and playing Sterling up front with Kane.  Mount will be key, sitting on Jorginho but also providing much of the attacking creativity. We'd obviously be able to change the system later in the game if required.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

back 5 with Trippier in for Saka according to first leaked lineup

1 minute ago, The Fox said:

It seems that Gareth has been reading my posts again. He copied all my ideas for substitutions against Denmark too, before he went rogue by taking Grealish back off.

There's wisdom in that set up.  Playing wing-backs is a good way to nullify their own wing-backs, we match our midfield up against their midfield, with Mount sitting on Jorginho. If you can disrupt Jorginho he becomes completely ineffective, as a few teams showed last season, and he's absolutely key to how they play. Mount has the energy to contribute going forward as well. Meanwhile up front Sterling will be tasked with using his pace against their centre backs.  

We can change the game by introducing Grealish, Sancho, Saka, Rashford...  We're capable of changing the system and playing another way.  I think this is the right way to go.

I think it’s very hard for Southgate to come up with a plan to actively break through Italy and score goals in free play, so any starting line up has to be about keeping control and waiting for opportunity.  That said without Spinazzola maybe it might be a little easier to get on through.

We have done well with set pieces (in more recent games) and I’m thinking that’s where our hopes will lay at least initially, unless things get chaotic on both sides.

11 minutes ago, sprite said:

I think it’s very hard for Southgate to come up with a plan to actively break through Italy and score goals in free play, so any starting line up has to be about keeping control and waiting for opportunity.  That said without Spinazzola maybe it might be a little easier to get on through.

Do you not think Italy might be thinking the same thing? We have not conceded in open play yet - the only goal coming from a fantastic free kick. We've rode our luck on a couple of occasions (Mullers miss for Germany springs to mind), but clear cut chances against us have been few and far between.

With the rumoured line up, it's hard to know how defensive a line up it is until we know how high the wing backs are pushing up. Especially Shaw down the left. Hard to imagine it being a flat 5 in possession, otherwise we'll have a really hard time getting a foothold in midfield and playing it into Kane's feet. You'd expect Chiellini and Bonucci to mop up any punts up to Kane. 

At the Nissan factory in Sunderland they have two main entrances to the carparks, one is the North gate and the other one is...

IMG-20210711-WA0002.thumb.jpg.dd2b8f0215b035325145bbdbe80f7083.jpg

And in an unusually decent gesture they are not starting the production lines until 11 am tomorrow, so everyone can have a lie in/sober up after the football!

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Pickford would be who I'd target if I was Italy, he's still got the ability to get flustered kicking really quickly and once you've forced him into one error he starts beating himself up for 5-10m and is more prone to another error, he's done it a couple of times in this tournament so far but none proven costly - most players you force into a mistake and hope to capitalise on that moment, with him you get a few more possible moments thrown in for free.

Last two matches I would put more of the blame on the centre backs playing it back to Pickford at an awkward angle for him, Maguire especially in the Denmark match. 

If that's his starting line-up then it's not the smartest, but I'm still confident it'll work and England will win quite handily. Italy can be gotten on top of, and their senior players at the back will be ran into the ground with time enough to spare. Should be a good match.

Are you guys not doing a scoreline predictions thing? Two WhatsApp groups I’m in are feverishly posting their fantasy score lines where England win 5-0 along with predictions about how the country will react :lol: Is this not a normal thing for football people to do?

11 minutes ago, merman said:

Last two matches I would put more of the blame on the centre backs playing it back to Pickford at an awkward angle for him, Maguire especially in the Denmark match. 

Yeah Maguire kept putting onto his right foot which is quite silly.