Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

All the BBC build up was about how different this Spain are, Enrique having reinvented them as an exciting, more direct team. Followed by 45 minutes of them aping Barcelona like they have for about 15 years.

I like the way that every time the camera cuts to Enrique he seems to be sitting on his own in a field somewhere.

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

Emma Hayes tactical analysis actually sounds like she knows what she’s talking about which makes a change.

She was great, really good breakdown, well spoken, to the point. More Emma Hayes please.

8 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

I don't get Morata. Are Spain short of centre forwards or is there something I'm not seeing on every occasion I've watched him play? 

It's part of the hangover from their last great side. They seem obsessed with having a focal point up top now, as if the game has moved on from when they were cleaning up. He's the closest thing they have, though God knows why they persist with it as an approach.

40 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Doubt that would have been me. I used to pish on any “Tierney’s world class” chat chips, what with me being a torn-faced bitter Rangers fan.

Must have been deerokus, apologies.

20 minutes ago, Hamus said:

She was great, really good breakdown, well spoken, to the point. More Emma Hayes please.

Normal service resumed now Danny Murphy is giving the insights. Sterile domination from Spain so far.

I want Sweden to score partly because it'd be funny but also because Spain are just so dull to watch, it might force them to actually make a change and try something different. Probably not, though. 

38 minutes ago, Starbreaker said:

It looks like someone drew Rio Ferdinand's beard on with a permanent marker. 

It looks like he’s sucking a powerful magnet and has dipped his chin into a bowl of iron filings.  

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

It's part of the hangover from their last great side. They seem obsessed with having a focal point up top now, as if the game has moved on from when they were cleaning up. He's the closest thing they have, though God knows why they persist with it as an approach.

If they're going to play with that kind of striker, I don't know why they don't start with Gerard Moreno up front, especially after the season he's just had.  I know he missed his chance when he came on, but at least it was on target and he was a bit unlucky that the keeper made a decent save.

5 hours ago, SeanR said:

Where did the ESP vs SWE 6 mins of time added on come from?

It was about right. 30 secs per sub, the lad down for cramp, plus stoppages. If officials took stoppage time seriously every match instead of just adding two or three minutes when a game is already well won, it wouldn't look odd on the occasions a game is tight and they decide to apply the laws correctly.

Proper pet hate of mine.

Didn't see the game but do like the stat that in Spain v Sweden a player born in France (LaPorte) completed more passes than all the players born in Sweden.

830 completed passes at 85% possession and only 5 shots on target is almost my idea of football purgatory.

26 minutes ago, Gotters said:

830 completed passes at 85% possession and only 5 shots on target is almost my idea of football purgatory.

Whereas 15% possession and a 0-0 is almost my idea of football heaven.

Murray's playing at Queens on Amazon Prime in a bit, if "some kind of sport" is good enough a distraction. Maybe he'll play the whole match, maybe his hip will literally explode! 

2 hours ago, christaylor said:

No lunchtime game today? What the heck am I supposed to do all afternoon, work?!

Yeah this is not acceptable. I was called into a last minute 2pm meeting yesterday and it was awful. I barely managed to watch, but it ended at least in time for the second goal.

I miss something like World Cup 2002, where I could eat pizza at 7:30am while falling asleep watching Tunisia vs another team.

1 hour ago, Hamus said:

Yeah this is not acceptable. I was called into a last minute 2pm meeting yesterday and it was awful. I barely managed to watch, but it ended at least in time for the second goal.

I miss something like World Cup 2002, where I could eat pizza at 7:30am while falling asleep watching Tunisia vs another team.

The joys of watching England/Nigeria in a pub across the road from my office at 7am and then going to work for the day after 4 pints of Guiness!