Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

Just now, Disgraced Toblerone said:

Players agree to shoot. Stop blaming southgate (or any player that missed).

It’s a lottery. 

Who’s gonna say no? He shouldn’t have been put in that position. Give him the second penalty.
This isn’t about whether he scored, it’s about the lasting impression of losing the final. I think it’s poor judgement that borders on irresponsible. 

3 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

The best team won the tournament. Best tournament since 2008. Penalties are decided by goalies and Pickford isn’t up to it I’m afraid. 

He saved 2 penalties.  You can't ask more of a keeper than that.  It was the outfield players that let him down not the other way around.

Always odd when a defender scores a 100% perfect top corner rocket penalty and then the strikers and attacking forwards produce feeble mid height barely disguised saveable penalties. That Maguire penalty was unbelievable. I don't know why Rashford when he's trying to deceive the keeper wants to put the ball so tight into the corner.

I agree it wasn't fair on Saka, but maybe no one else would stand up. Southgate's fixation on his favourite players is so frustrating, if Sancho and Rashford are going to come on, give them 25 minutes. 

When are people going to realise that Kane really is not a big game player…

Goes missing in the CL final, goes missing in the Cup final a few weeks ago against City, goes missing tonight. :( 

5 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Southgate should never have put that kid in that situation when there are more experienced and senior players there.

This is going to be repeated a lot, and it's balls. They will have talked about it and planned it endlessly. 

Saka will have volunteered. It wasn't a bad penalty either, it was good save. 

Rashford screwed his. He tried. To psyche the keeper, and the keeper was not psyched. 

Penalties aren't a lottery, you can practice them as much as you want. The pressure is impossible recreate, sure, but it can be mitigated by knowing you put the ball where you want over and over again in practice. It's why the same teams usually win them.

Italy missed two, England missed three. Fine margins. Hopefully this is the start of England making it to the later stages of tournaments and finals more often and not once a lifetime. The players are there and to do it, they have to pick themselves up and go again like Italy who lost the last two European Championship finals they got to.

2 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

You can blame the manager for offering up a sacrifice to the cunt fans in the country. 

Penalty takers do step forward as well though.  He went with the penalty takers, which sort of makes sense, except where they weren’t on the pitch at all.

I don’t follow Arsenal enough to know Saka’s history with pens mind.

Now if there were one man I WOULD bring on the pitch purely to take a penalty, it’s James Milner.

Having watched the match as a neutral (as much as I don't support England, nor do I support Italy), I am sad that England lost. A brave match, and penalties are an awful way to lose; feel terrible for Saka in particular, and fear for the treatment all three are going to get from arseholes following this.

I do think it was a bad decision to bring Rashford and Sancho on so late for the penalties, but I don't feel it's right to blame Southgate's for who he chose to take penalties — you choose the players who want to take the pens, and if it doesn't work out, well, it doesn't work out.

Just now, footle said:

You’ve already said that you’ve watched two games this season: the semi final and this one. I’m not sure your opinion on “who is to blame” should be taken too seriously.

Would those of us with some minimal investment in the sport have taken second at the start of the tournament? Of course we fucking would.

Why didn’t I put you on ignore the other week….

Fucking hell. I’ve watched two matches this tournament so therefore my opinion on something nothing to do with the actual rules is invalid. What a joke. 

1 minute ago, kensei said:

This is going to be repeated a lot, and it's balls. They will have talked about it and planned it endlessly. 

Saka will have volunteered. It wasn't a bad penalty either, it was good save. 

Rashford screwed his. He tried. To psyche the keeper, and the keeper was not psyched. 

The keeper was psyched. Unfortunately rashford then pulled it a couple of inches wide.

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

Could all you horrible gloating cunts please just fuck off?

Don’t let their bitterness get to you. We’ve got to the semifinals and the final of the last two tournaments and we have a team we can be proud of, unlike some.

I think the accepted wisdom is that your strongest penalty taker takes the last one, so to put that on a 19 year old who hadn't had a good game wasn't right.

Either way though, they've done us proud this tournament. Outplayed in the final, but it's a lot fucking closer than anyone else has taken us. This is a young squad as well, so we can expect more of this to come. It finally feels like English football is going somewhere.

3 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Who’s gonna say no? He shouldn’t have been put in that position. Give him the second penalty.
This isn’t about whether he scored, it’s about the lasting impression of losing the final. I think it’s poor judgement that borders on irresponsible. 

Its possible Sterling said no. 

8 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Mancini is the better coach, that's all there is to it.

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don’t think I could have handled my obnoxious neighbours, who’ve been shouting for most of the evening, if England won. So I’m quite pleased and hanging out the window like the Grinch, enjoying the pain wafting up. 

6 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I'm over the moon, genuinely. This tastes so so sweet.

What a buzz, you couldn't write this. At Wembley too fucking hell :lol:

5 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

The best team won the tournament. Best tournament since 2008. Penalties are decided by goalies and Pickford isn’t up to it I’m afraid. 

This last post is utter shit. True trolling shit. He saved that penalty to keep us in it. 

I'm glad you all take great pleasure in other people's disappointment and I wish you well.

I don't want to get banned but you're all trolling.

Just now, SimonG said:

When are people going to realise that Kane really is not a big game player…

Goes missing in the CL final, goes missing in the Cup final a few weeks ago against City, goes missing tonight. :( 

Think this is a bit unfair too. He dropped deep and picked out some decent passes. Both teams struggled to really get the killer ball in because both defensive units were pretty good. 

Italy edged possession but they also edged the last ditch fouls. 

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

Don't concern yourself with them, they only show themselves up as dullards for all to see.

2 minutes ago, McFly said:

Penalties aren't a lottery, you can practice them as much as you want. The pressure is impossible recreate, sure, but it can be mitigated by knowing you put the ball where you want over and over again in practice. It's why the same teams usually win them.

Ask Switzerland.

2 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Not tonight. Tomorrow it's old news but tonight is our night, feltmonkey.

• gospvg changed the title to Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy