Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

Really feel for Southgate and the players on the night after watching their interviews. He should keep going as he's been a brilliant manager

Absolutely delighted and relieved with the Italians winning in the end. They were the better team overall and what a way to top off their recent run of form.

Southgate's an ok, cautious manager, who has access to a very good squad. That combined with a very good draw, very good luck in what happened elsewhere in the tournament, and playing at home for most of it, got us to the final.

But he also lost us the final. He plays incredibly cautiously with very defensive lineups, which in this game lead to Italy spending most of the game from 30 mins on dominating possession and creating chances over and over, which sapped our energy and killed the game. His subs were crap, leaving on a totally anonymous Mount for far too long and doing a like for like switch of a DM for instance, and Saka had a nightmare that really should have seen him taken off before penalties were a thing. And then bringing on 2 subs at the death for penalties and letting a kid who was having a bad game take the final pen, just stupid.

I'll be ok if he calls it quits.

57 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Who’s gonna say no? He shouldn’t have been put in that position. Give him the second penalty.
This isn’t about whether he scored, it’s about the lasting impression of losing the final. I think it’s poor judgement that borders on irresponsible. 

Sorry, I think you know little about football really. Bringing race into it earlier wasn’t cool either. Players come from all backgrounds and are professionals, race doesn’t come into decisions on the field.

10 minutes ago, kensei said:

Reckon Southgate is good but not great, myself.

If you look at 2018, it was a rigid system, some set pieces and a dollop of luck. This time around there was a set of plans, interchangeable systems and some fine attacking footballers. He’s clearly improving and learning.

11 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

That's really fucking sad:lol::lol:

Jesus....

In fairness (to Berlin, not Simmy), Berlin is an extremely multicultural city; I'd imagine there's a good number of Italian supporters there, hence the fireworks.

Edit: according to Wikipedia there are over 31,000 Italians living in Berlin, so yeah, it seems reasonable there'd be celebrations there.

This was genuinely THE chance.

I’ve been cheering for England since 1978. That’s 43 long years. Never have we had a better chance than this tournament.

Hosting it. Minimal away fans. Some cracking young players, largely uncorrupted, due to good management and a supportive gutter press (that’s gonna evaporate quickly, I’d wager). And, most importantly, loads of the big teams and/or our usual betes noir either way past their best, like Germany, or on the other side of the draw, like France, Belgium, Spain and Portugal.

We only actually played one good team (in ‘let’s be real for a minute’ terms) and that was tonight’s. They could, and perhaps should, have tonked us in the second half, but we clung on, only to fail, tragically, but unsurprisingly, at the first real question we were asked.

No blame on the players. We just aren’t cut out for the big footballing win. I’ve seen enough to doubt we ever will be.

But I salute the optimism of those who have faith. I did too after ‘90, and ‘96, and even had a little bit left after 2018. But I just can’t anymore.

1 minute ago, jonamok said:

I’ve been cheering for England since 1978. That’s 43 long years. Never have we had a better chance than this tournament.

Hosting it. Minimal away fans. Some cracking young players, largely uncorrupted, due to good management and a supportive gutter press (that’s gonna evaporate quickly, I’d wager). And, most importantly, loads of the big teams and/or our usual betes noir either way past their best, like Germany, or on the other side of the draw, like France, Belgium, Spain and Portugal.

We only actually played one good team (in ‘let’s be real for a minute’ terms) and that was tonight’s. They could, and perhaps should, have tonked us in the second half, but we clung on, only to fail, tragically, but unsurprisingly, at the first real question we were asked.

No blame on the players. We just aren’t cut out for the big footballing win. I’ve seen enough to doubt we ever will be.

But I salute the optimism of those who have faith. I did too after ‘90, and ‘96, and even had a little bit left after 2018. But I just can’t anymore.

Same time next year then?

1 minute ago, jonamok said:

Scotland yeah?

There are a lot of cunt England fans, but also plenty of great ones.

I live right outside Wembley Stadium - following the Germany win, we went out to soak up the atmosphere and as a big group of German fans left the stadium, one person near us started singing “you’re going home” to them. The vast, vast majority clapped in an incredibly respectful way as those fans walked past. In a time when I almost constantly feel ashamed about being English, that made me proud.

We’re not all wankers, however it appears at times. I don’t even follow football usually but I’m gutted about tonight. Also, I’m a bit tired of being ashamed to be English. I reckon we’ve got plenty to be proud of with our team and manager in this tournament. We came second. We lost on penalties. I’ll take that.

30 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Anyway, perhaps now the English sporting media can start properly celebrating some actual home-grown sporting success by finally giving Mark Cavendish some fucking headline coverage!

Cavendish isn't English!

5 minutes ago, Wiper said:

In fairness (to Berlin, not Simmy), Berlin is an extremely multicultural city; I'd imagine there's a good number of Italian supporters there, hence the fireworks.

Edit: according to Wikipedia there are over 31,000 Italians living in Berlin, so yeah, it seems reasonable there'd be celebrations there.

Yeah there's been fireworks here in Bedford where we have something like 14000 Italians, a sizeable portion of the population

7 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Sorry, I think you know little about football really. Bringing race into it earlier wasn’t cool either. Players come from all backgrounds and are professionals, race doesn’t come into decisions on the field.

Oh fuck off. Sick of people telling me this now. Get a different attack line. 

And you missed my point. 

6 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Southgate’s a good England manager. Him and his team got us to the final via the most generous draw you could imagine. But we got there. Then he froze/choked/fluffed it when it really mattered.

Still, I’ll freely admit there’s no better alternative atm, so perhaps he can stick about and learn from this. But I expect not.

I do tend to agree with this, though. It's clear that with regards to everything around the England set-up he is brilliant; his dealings with the media, the PR image, the social awareness etc - top bloke. But from a tactical point of view I've never thought he was the most progressive, always being very cautious and safety first, but also not as astute.

England have had a fantastic tournament, for sure - but I do think beating a poor Germany and solid but unremarkable Denmark is going to be framed as some heroic effort for the ages, but when playing their first really good opponents they were tactically poor, bereft of ideas on the pitch and the sidelines and outplayed for most of the 120 minutes. We can crow about stats not telling the whole story, but I think this time they do.

I'll refrain from overly gloating and know a lot of you are hurting, but have to say yous really gave me the fear that you might just do it this time. Oh the joy and relief when that penalty was missed. Feel so bad for Saka but yeah, what a game.