Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

I wish I had the confidence of some in here that Southgate will learn from his mistakes in the final, because a lot of issues in that match were eerily similar to the Croatia game in 2018.

9 minutes ago, The Fox said:

I wish I had the confidence of some in here that Southgate will learn from his mistakes in the final, because a lot of issues in that match were eerily similar to the Croatia game in 2018.

As any attempt to try on skinny jeans will tell you, there's a world of difference between a semi and the big one.

Thing is though I'm already starting to get the fear about World Cup. Foden, Mount, Saka, Bellingham, Phillips and Sancho with another season of experience, TAA included. And the likes of Bamford, Barnes, Greenwood, Harrison and Eze all potentially earning places in the squad.... must be in the bag. 

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

A crap thing is that Harry Maguire smashing the in goal camera during the penalty shootout is going to be completely forgotten.  That could have been a truly great moment.  

Also Pickford v Jorghino!

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

The Italian fouls weren't being given because players like Kane and Sterling are the boys who cried wolf. Just like Neymar, you have to assume they fell over easily and just move on. 

And the Chiellini thing just isn't a red and never would or should be. 

As opposed to the massive stop in play because someone stepped near Chiesa so he went to ground for fucking ages?

7 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Thing is though I'm already starting to get the fear about World Cup. Foden, Mount, Saka, Bellingham, Phillips and Sancho with another season of experience, TAA included. And the likes of Bamford, Barnes, Greenwood, Harrison and Eze all potentially earning places in the squad.... must be in the bag. 

Just remember every other country has its talent cycles too. 

10 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Saka will bounce back from last night and Arsenal also (currently) have Emile Smith Rowe too

1 hour ago, wev said:

Also Pickford v Jorghino!

Yup. As much as I'm not a fan of his, he saved 2 penalties, one against someone that never seems to miss, that's brilliant. If you save 2 penalties in a final thats usually

good enough, but here we are :(

17 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Sorry, I think you know little about football really. Bringing race into it earlier wasn’t cool either. Players come from all backgrounds and are professionals, race doesn’t come into decisions on the field.

Sorry…you were saying?

I want a fucking apology for not “being cool” bringing race into it when it’s already present. Fucking weapon. 

So this collar tackle business. Half of you seem to think it’s a yellow, half of you think it should have been a straight red, and ne’er the twain shall meet.

Comparisons with rugby and American football are not perfect - because those are sports in which you are sort of encouraged to take your opponent down to the ground - but there’s merit in the comparison because they still require you to do it safely. 

Someone mentioned the horse collar tackle in American football. That’s a major personal foul with a loss of 15 yards, but I don’t think it’s usually a sending-off. Maybe if it’s deemed to be unnecessary roughness I guess? But that must be very rare.

I think in rugby union pulling someone down by the jersey collar would be classed as a high tackle, so a yellow card and 10 minutes off the field. 

The point should really be that it is an unusually dangerous thing to do on any field of play. 

In American football the injury is typically a broken leg, which might not be what you’d expect. Seems to be a combination of factors: they play on Astroturf, on which it’s easy to catch your toe; so the leg gets caught under you, and then your weight (exacerbated by all the gear) breaks your leg or snaps the ligaments, etc.

In rugby union the high tackle laws are more about protecting the head and neck from impact injury.

If you look at how Saka goes down, he basically takes the bump across his shoulders (not so bad) then his head carries on backwards and hits the ground (bad).

That last part is super dangerous. I know this from personal experience because - and this is genuinely true - I once fractured a friend’s skull by doing something very similar in an informal (ie no equipment) game of American football. He fell down on his back, his head followed through, and bang. Fractured skull.

I was clumsy, rather than intentionally violent, but that doesn’t change the fact that I inflicted a really severe injury.

Fortunately for both of us, my friend got lucky and didn’t have any lasting effects - apart from a permanent ridge where the two halves of his broken skull didn’t heal totally flush! 

14 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I just want to put it on record that I thought Henderson was awful when he came on. Added nothing. Hopefully he's not part of the world cup squad. 

You mean you don’t love him like the rest of us?

39 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Sorry…you were saying?

I want a fucking apology for not “being cool” bringing race into it when it’s already present. Fucking weapon. 

Do you think southgate should have chosen five white players for the penalties to protect black players?

23 minutes ago, spork said:

You mean you don’t love him like the rest of us?

I thought he was ok in his other appearances this tournament. Just that one was particularly poor. We won't need him at the world cup. I know he's 'great to have around the camp' but that's not really enough. 

3 minutes ago, Disgraced Toblerone said:

Well then I really don’t get your posts about it.

And that may be me.

It is. Because I’ve been clear about what I thought should happen, and my recent reply was in defence at mentioning race. Not a reasoning behind refusing to let black players take penalties. 

1 hour ago, NexivRed said:

Sorry…you were saying?

You do realise that you start differentiating what professional players can do on the field based on skin colour then the racists win? Under the same logic it would be irresponsible for Southgate to select a black captain because of the abuse they’ll get from knuckle draggers. 

I only see professional footballers on the field and viewing them through the lens of race/colour/heritage is wrong in my opinion. And defining what they can or can not do as professionals on the field because of their background is insane. 

So no apology forthcoming.