IGNORED

Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

disperse and recoagulate

2 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I think it was a case of "don't lose" for England. Job done. 

Football fans don't often understand playing football.

Such ambition at home against the 3rd lowest ranked team in the tournament!!!

Just now, Waggo said:

Such ambition at home against the 3rd lowest ranked team in the tournament.

That's massively unfair summing up Scotland playing England like that. Do you not think they would raise their game playing England?

Just now, Art Vandelay said:

The full backs were absolutely tosh tonight. James’ delivery and build up was appalling. 

What? Shaw was our best player.

I think against the Czechs, we need a small tweak. Grealish on the left, Sancho on the right, Foden, Mount, and Rice in midfield. If Kane isn't fit, don't play him. We'll need a fit Kane later in the tournament.

@neoELITE has a point - no football match is easy, rankings don't mean much, particularly when you're talking about England Vs Scotland. It wasn't a must win, it was a must not lose.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Mings might be the best performing England player across these 2 games.

Which considering all the talk is still about "will Maguire start?" Is a huge credit to him

Just now, Orion said:

That's massively unfair summing up Scotland playing England like that. Do you not think they would raise their game playing England?

Your joke doesn't really work as Scotland weren't at home. D-

England looked too tense tonight, maybe the build up of the game as this huge event got to them.

Not sure why this is being talked about as a great result for Scotland, a point is the bare minimum required for them and tonight, being a derby, which acts as a bit of a leveller, was probably they’re best chance at getting the win they need to progress.

Croatia have the quality to easily score a couple against Scotland, who don’t look like they have many goals in them.

"If you're not going to win a game in a tournament then you make sure you don't lose it".

Basically what Southgate has just said on TV.

This underlines how he is going with a dour, uninspiring setup.

Instead of wanting to win, he doesn't want to lose. That's a real problem.

6 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

The full backs were absolutely tosh tonight. James’ delivery and build up was appalling. 

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

What? Shaw was our best player.

And James set up two of best and only chances, even if one or both were offside. I don't think the fullbacks were the issue tonight, both had clearly been asked to prioritise stopping Scotland's main threat, their wing backs.

3 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

The more I see of Southgate's brand of 'football' the more I worry that he'll get the Spurs job. This is almost José levels of dross. 

It’s ok, Even Southgate isn’t desperate enough to take the Spurs job.

1 minute ago, wev said:

Which considering all the talk is still about "will Maguire start?" Is a huge credit to him

Indeed.

I've no doubt Southgate is itching to put Maguire back in. But Mings has been genuinely top rate in these games, so fair play to him.

And as a Villa fan it's nice to have one of our guys in the side and doing well.

4 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Such ambition at home against the 3rd lowest ranked team in the tournament!!!

As a fan, I was very frustrated but sometimes, don't lose is a gameplan. I've played semi-pro back in the day and sometimes, you just need a point. If your manager tells you to keep it safe, you do.

And again on that, if England lose tonight they're in big trouble. As it stands, they're almost certainly through, even if they lose their next game. Staying alive is what international football is all about. Much of the time, being entertaining isn't a bi-product of going far in a tournament.

3 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Jesus, international football is all about not losing. It's a cup competition. France were mostly boring at the world cup.

I'm not happy with us tonight but there's nothing wrong with that attitude.

Yep, if you get to the final, no-one remembers a drab second group match.

The frustrating thing for me now is that a draw against the Czechs is going to be good enough for 2nd in the group, which is probably the better place to be looking at the draw, so Tuesday’s game is probably going to be just as turgid an England performance. 

4 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Yep, if you get to the final, no-one remembers a drab second group match.

Yeah, it was the opener but everyone forgets the full draw with Switzerland at Euro 96. The result isn't the problem here, it's the nature of the performance

Just now, Timmo said:

Jesus, international football is all about not losing. It's a cup competition. France were mostly boring at the world cup.

I'm not happy with us tonight but there's nothing wrong with that attitude.

Aren't you sick of being so dull and boring in these competitions.

It's like Southgate is morphing into Roy the Boy, expectations lowered constantly.

We aren't going to win this thing, I'd be far happier with glorious gut-busting failure. We all would.

Because we are emotional idiots who can then look back and cry over gazza not scoring by a toe, holding onto the what ifs.

That's what the English live for, a good old moan. We are annoying holier than though fans, let's not pretend otherwise!

We invented the game, best league in the world, that dog and the world cup isn't it? Jumpers for goalposts in the park.

We are only fulfilled by being the put upon nearly men, while somehow also riding the pathetic juxtaposition of being 'the best really' and 'wegunnawinit'.

Stop pretending man! Lean into it!

Let us fail, as we always do, but let us fail spectacularly!!

There was a bit where Sterling held it up in the box on the left, blocked by two defenders trying to cut inside and dawdling into view was Kane lightly jogging when he should have been sprinting to Sterling's left to give him an option or creating distraction for the defenders. Whether he's carrying an injury or not, if after 2 games every chance is falling to every other player Southgate needs to re think a lot of things. There weren't any crosses coming in so would Calvert Lewin offer more? 

It's so frustrating that managers are so hesitant to make substitions late in games, after a tiring season, when the team isn't creating any chances, when there's so many attacking options on the bench. When no goal looks likely who isn't thinking throw on Bellingham, Sancho, Grealish for Phillips, Kane, Sterling. 

Gary Neville thinks the sluggishness has mostly to do with the occasion, nothing to do with line up or formation. But people always think England's poorness in tournaments comes down to that, i don't think these young players care. For all the front foot intensity vs Croatia, there weren't many chances created. I just want more linking up, no players looking isolated on the ball which has always been England's main problem.

The balls over the top, Sterling is fantastic at timing his runs and has been sharp, it's just what happens next, he's not clear whether he's taking his man on and drilling in a low cross or pulling it back for a team mate running to the edge of the box. Often he just hesitates and runs into the defender. If England have planned these in behind runs what's the plan immediately after, I'd expect Kane to be yelling with his arms up waiting for the pull back, just some indication of what the next move is meant to be. 

I agree Foden was one of the better players, he showed more urgency than anyone else i think, tracked way back, pressed, quick on the ball. I rate him highly but already getting worried his quality might be wasted for England. I think he's too isolated wide up the pitch, i think he should be on the ball as often as possible. In the first game the deflection off the defenders toe denied the goal and tonight took a high ball down and manoeuvred seamlessly for a shot which wasn't easy, so he's still being dangerous. 

Taking off Foden and bringing on Grealish shows Southgate can't conceive of having Foden, Grealish, Mount on the pitch at the moment. 

21 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Aren't you sick of being so dull and boring in these competitions.

It's like Southgate is morphing into Roy the Boy, expectations lowered constantly.

We aren't going to win this thing, I'd be far happier with glorious gut-busting failure. We all would.

Because we are emotional idiots who can then look back and cry over gazza not scoring by a toe, holding onto the what ifs.

That's what the English live for, a good old moan. We are annoying holier than though fans, let's not pretend otherwise!

We invented the game, best league in the world, that dog and the world cup isn't it? Jumpers for goalposts in the park.

We are only fulfilled by being the put upon nearly men, while somehow also riding the pathetic juxtaposition of being 'the best really' and 'wegunnawinit'.

Stop pretending man! Lean into it!

Let us fail, as we always do, but let us fail spectacularly!!

If England had gone Keegan style all out attack, all the time and lost every game 4-3 you would just be moaning about that instead.

Every post you have made in this thread is moaning about England or one of their players.

4 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

England / Southgate are probably just going for the manipulating the group positions trick they did last time to get further in the tournament, avoid anyone decent for as long as possible tactic

And then lose to the less decent team. Probably.