Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

disperse and recoagulate

6 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

You might want to put some kind of waterproof tarp or something over your Xbox, just in case.  ;)

Reveal hidden contents

Regarding the bare-knuckle fighting thing, it's none of my business, but I'm personally glad to see that you are having second thoughts. I was pretty alarmed reading your thread about it. It's such a dangerous thing to do, and could so easily have life-changing (or indeed ending) consequences. I don't really know anything about it really, so you can dismiss anything I say by all means, of course. I speak from a position of ignorance, but concern for the welfare of a fellow forumite. Even if you come through okay, what if your opponent ends up blind, or brain damaged, or dead? Could you get over that? I daresay you've already thought of all this, and I apologise if my unsolicited hand-wringing is unwelcome. It comes from a genuine place of not wanting a forumite to come to harm.

Anyway, good luck Scotland!  I hope that after all the bad luck you have been storing up over the years on the football pitch, that this is the night when it all evens up.

Hey.. I'm taking the fight. 

Just agreed. Been sparing well. Still got some pace. Seen who I'm fighting.... I'm confident I will need the boy in a minute. 

I have 25lbs. I have said its silly but the guy running it thinks I'm fucked... 

6 hours ago, Ry said:

I agreed to the fight. 

Not sure how to get the thread going.

It's hand straps only. I have 50lbs on the boy. I think it's its daft.  Nah

6 hours ago, Ry said:

Just agreed. Been sparing well. Still got some pace. Seen who I'm fighting.... I'm confident I will need the boy in a minute. 

Hopefully you've slept on this.

The problem with Englands conservative approach at the moment is it relies on stifling opponents and not giving up clear goal scoring chances with a high xG, this works against lower quality strikers but one of the main features of better players is they are capable of scoring from lower quality chances on a regular basis, plus the better teams will have creative players that unlock you better, I know we haven't conceded but it hasn't been water tight by any means.

Couple that with an under performing attack that isn't taking the little we create and you have a recipe for immediate exit against the first good team we play. We're playing fine margin stuff and need to find some more gears and way to make the possession count, its just too sterile. 

On current form out of France, Portugal & Germany its only Portugal I'd give us any chance against. I know Hungary are an option but would appear unlikely, if not impossible.

Surprised that many pundits are so keen on England staying at Wembley. I'd think that getting away from the Gammon Choir who boo them when they take the knee, boo them when they pass the ball, and then boo them off the pitch, might be quite helpful.

33 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

Surprised that many pundits are so keen on England staying at Wembley. I'd think that getting away from the Gammon Choir who boo them when they take the knee, boo them when they pass the ball, and then boo them off the pitch, might be quite helpful.

It would also make it feel more like a European competition playing at a different venue instead of a glorified friendly.  Mind you with covid still rampant it might be a better plan to minimise travel as much as possible.

I agree with the idea that being in another country would help. It just makes it feel more special rather than same-old same-old. I reckon it would have helped Scotland to have been away and not where we have failed so often.

9 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

If penalties count, it's Colombia at the last World Cup (11th v 12th).

But penalties don't count, so you have to go back to the win over Argentina in 2002 (5th v 13th).

The other times it happened are against Germany at Euro 2000 (6th v 12th) and Netherlands in '96 (13th v 24th). With the rankings only being formed in December '92, that's your lot.

Thanks for the correction.  I think the key word that I was missing due to my own stupidity was "knockout stages".

17 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Any time I've seen him in this tournament he seems to spend a lot of time rolling around on his arse looking for free kicks. He's a dirty diver.

No, the correct term is "clever at drawing fouls".

I see alot of the media are still focusing on Grealish, I thought he played well, was exciting when on the ball, but there seems to be a wilfull ignorance surrounding Saka's performance, who was basically everywhere last night, if there'd have been an opportunity for him to put on some gloves and go in goal I'm sure he'd have done an excellent job there too.

2 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Nah man. Rolling around while keeping an eye on the ref because you have a broken eyelash is pish. He should have been yellow carded for that shit.

Yeah but he's English and not Raheem Sterling, so it's gamesmanship.

Not that you're bitter or anything, @Hanzo the Razor.

I've watched every minute of England, and Grealish, while very good at drawing fouls, sucking defenders in and then shifting away from them using his acceleration and quick feet, then going down when the defender inevitably kicks him, hasn't actually simulated a foul once at the tournament. He should be booked for wanting a free-kick when he's fouled, should he?

55 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Thanks for the correction.  I think the key word that I was missing due to my own stupidity was "knockout stages".

Ah yes, I did think I'd heard the fact before, but I also wasn't sure if you were just being hyperbolic given its relative rarity. 

Still, given England's traditionally high ranking, it's not the damning statistic it's made out to be. When they do face someone ranked higher, the opponent is invariably a favourite for the tournament.

8 hours ago, Ry said:

Oh, well be careful and stay safe. I don't know what having lbs on him means, but it's halved in the course of the morning.  I hope you and your opponent come through unscathed.

3 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Not at all mate. I took the time to watch a recording of the England game after the Scotland game. They seemed to have bucked their ideas up a bit. It's just that Grealish really annoyed me with his antics.

"Antics" :lol:

Are you Graham Souness?

Grealish is a very modern footballer - he has the positive qualities that people say moving the ball forward, creating a space for himself to find a pass or cross and that is wonderful. In doing that he also genuinely creates a lot of moments where he gets actually fouled. What he's very good at though is enhancing those moments to win fouls purely because a defender is close to him, even if they've done nothing wrong. It's part clever, part diving and must be utterly infuriating to play against. He's one of the cleverest/cheatiest (insert as you see fit) at it, I don't like it but he's not alone and is just one of the best exponents of it. 

You can see why he'll command a huge fee as data will clearly demonstrate the value in a player who can win free kicks in such dangerous areas, relieve pressure by breaking up the game getting fouled and then actually be good on the ball is significant to any team - it's a game that will translate well to almost any club. 

I do think Saka is getting a bit overlooked too, he's simply too good for Arsenal at the moment and we are finishing his education until a monster bid from an elite CL team comes in, which we'll spunk up the wall on long contracts for old Chelsea rejects or somebody whose contract is running out at the club and they strung 3 good games together. 

3 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

No, just someone who hates watching players diving and immediately looking to the ref.

but don't pretend every team isn't doing it - it was driving me mad last week during the England Scotland game when you got your famous 0-0 victory. It's just less noticeable for teams that don't register much possession, but becomes even more important to them to break up play and give them position to start an attack from. 

Are people ignoring Saka's performance? He was man of the match (thoroughly deserved) and the Itv pundits were all very glowing towards him afterwards too. 

As for the game, a decent first half (still without creating an awful lot), pretty dire/well-managed second half.

It's hard to judge the ability and mettle of this team really, given that they've not been tested by anyone, nor have they ever got out of third gear. It can't be easy playing out three pretty boring and sterile games and then expect the players to be able to just turn it in for a 'big' match, so who knows what performance we will see next week. I agree with @Gottersthough, I think Portugal represent our best chance to progress. 

22 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

No, just someone who hates watching players diving and immediately looking to the ref.

It works though, Grealish got a foul for a dive early on last night.  Then about a minute later, I think it was Saka, was absolutely floored and nothing because he didn't playact it enough.

I can’t see England progressing. A great team with create too much xC against any potential xG created, and even with Foden and Grealish their potential for xA won’t matter much with out of form strikers who would pass up a chance with an xG of 1.