Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

disperse and recoagulate

Grealish is one of the most irritating players to watch play against your side. 

Villa fans say that he's the most fouled player in the league, and statistically it is true.  Because he's very good at putting himself in a position where the opponent brushes him so that he can go to ground.  It's the Vardy "running across the defender" tactic but all over the pitch.

Add in the squealing, complaining and tantrums and well, I’m not a fan. I've said before that while I would never condone such a thing, I completely understand why that Birmingham fan ran on the pitch and punched him.

20 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Add in the squealing, complaining and tantrums and well, I’m not a fan. I've said before that while I would never condone such a thing, I completely understand why that Birmingham fan ran on the pitch and punched him.

I didn't know about that. I hope it's on Youtube. I'll put it on repeat for the rest of the day.

22 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I really dislike it when someone from my team scores an own goal and as such completely understand why someone would execute that player in the street like a dog. Not that I'm suggesting that's a good idea of course.

You understand why Andrés Escobar was killed?

16 hours ago, Dan said:

I just miss 442 with wingers and crosses. I know it’s not fashionable these days, but I still miss it :lol:

It may cheer you to hear that both Lille and Atletico Madrid broke their respective league's one-and-two-team monopolies this year by playing 442.

Admittedly they both used fancy inverted wingers and wide playmakers (and Atletico switched to a 532 in tough away games), but the 442 has fucked shit up yo.

Grealish gets soft fouls, because he has incredibly good close control of the ball and is tricky with his movement, which makes defenders make clumsy soft fouls. It must be incredibly annoying to play against, but he is being fouled. Yes he has to sell it, but every player in the game does that now.

It's amusing how much he irritates other fans.

1 hour ago, Pants McSkill said:

LADS.

Top of the group, something England does not do often. AND without a goal conceded. After all the pre-tournament anguish about our defence, the conversations about how an unfit Maguire would be awful and Mings was a weak replacement, we've allowed a total of 4 shots on target against us. That's incredible for any team. (Only two other teams haven't conceded; World-famous-for-their-defence-Italy, and Sweden who still have a game to play.)

We've hit the post three times, more than any other team, and on another day really could (should) have had two penalties.

No-one can pick a starting XI, given the choice of genuine options we have, and as such we have a genuine choice of three different systems. We have the chance adapt to whomever we play instead of just sticking with one thing and hoping it works.

5 years ago, we finished 2nd in our group behind Wales, and went out in the round of 16 after losing 2-1 to Iceland, playing a central midfield 3 of Deli Alli, Eric Dier and Wayne Rooney, with Daniel Sturridge on the right wing.

We've come a hell of along way since the last Euros. 

Yeah, exactly.  Nice to see a voice of reason in here.  I always enjoy your posts, @Pants McSkill

The other thing to consider is that England came into the tournament having to find a way to manage the fatigue that their players would be feeling.  Last season was the most compressed, most intense in history.  The English teams played more games than any other nation's in the season just gone, with their extra cup, and with them having gone further in the European competitions.  There's also the higher pace and level of the Premier League than others in Europe - it's not as stark these days, but it's still true.  Remeber, in 2018 we completely ran out of steam, and the defeat to Croatia in the semi-final was as much about being ground down as any gulf in class.  

England's somnambulant style in these first three games has been frustrating to watch, but it makes complete sense.  Southgate and the team are not aiming for glorious failure and a welcome home as heroes, they're bucking the national trend and trying to actually win the thing.  There has clearly been a huge amount of analysis gone into this campaign, and the way the team pulled into itself in the second half last night, and against Croatia, is clearly a deliberate ploy to kill games and get the win, and it worked in both cases.  It will be different against better opposition of course, but they might not choose to play that way then.  It's why Phillips is starting - he can play two roles.  He can get forward in the early stages, and then become a holding midfielder when that becomes necessary.  He might not play against Germany or Portugal, and we might need to match them and play with the handbrake off a bit more.  England clearly have another gear.  The first 20 minutes against Croatia and the first half hour last night showed that they are capable of purposeful attacking football.  I suspect they are deliberately not trying to keep that up for 90 minutes every match.  

I might be wrong, or it might backfire and they go out in the next round never able to get going against a better team, of course.  As fans we might prefer to see a swashbuckling style, some 3-2 results and the team going out on their shield against Germany when we never had any actual hope of winning it due to our own entertaining stupidity, but maybe it is time to play with a bit more intelligence for a change.

I guess we've got a week more of the debate as to whether Southgate has masterminded a sensible considered approach to pragmatic tournament football to ease tired players into form for the KO stages or its all a damp squib and we'll go out as shot shy flops to the first proper team we meet.

You only really get to hail this type of approach once its all over and you've had a good go at winning it, if we lose to whoever next Tuesday it'll be about underperformance and handbrakes being applied unless its some 5-4 thriller with a bad VAR call conning us.

I'm not big on omens but the only other time we've traversed a group stage without conceding is 1966, where we won two and drew one. During that tournament we also played France, Portugal and (west) Germany so it's getting spooky. Also, our main striker was replaced by a glorious understudy so Harry Kane's fucked and ARISE SIR CALVERT-LEWIN

I don't think anyone we could potentially draw will be looking at England and rubbing their hands which probably says something. We don't look much fun to play against and can in theory score in a variety of ways. We'd do Hungary and Portugal if we got them, and then it really does depend on what France or Germany pitch up should we play them. I don't think we should be scared of getting done by anyone in this tournament. Get a win in the next game and we can start believing, chanting in the streets. smashing up cafes in city centres etc.

6 minutes ago, Plissken said:

England have certainly got more than a punchers chance against Portugal or Germany.

we just need Southgate to approve the use of punches as a means of winning matches, to extend the analogy he'd have everybody trying to punch behind their backs 

51 minutes ago, wullie said:

I'm not big on omens but the only other time we've traversed a group stage without conceding is 1966, where we won two and drew one. During that tournament we also played France, Portugal and (west) Germany so it's getting spooky. Also, our main striker was replaced by a glorious understudy so Harry Kane's fucked and ARISE SIR CALVERT-LEWIN

Technically it was the second group stage at the 1982 World Cup (two 0-0s vs France and Spain.)

55 minutes ago, wullie said:

Mate, England are going to lose! :D England should have won France 98 because the "pyramid" said so - Brazil won in 1970, Germany in 1974, Argentina 78, Italy 82, Argentina 86, Germany 90, Brazil 94.  We lost in 98 and so broke the "pyramid"!  We aren't going to win Euro 2004 😄

23 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Mate, England are going to lose! :D England should have won France 98 because the "pyramid" said so - Brazil won in 1970, Germany in 1974, Argentina 78, Italy 82, Argentina 86, Germany 90, Brazil 94.  We lost in 98 and so broke the "pyramid"!  We aren't going to win Euro 2004 😄

I think we really could if Eriksson would give Darius Vassell more of a chance.

3 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Not at all surprised by this. My main disappointment with last night's match, in which I thought we did well first half and then bore-killed the game in a professional manner, was that we were still doing that thing where we have a promising attack (for example, a set piece pinging everywhere and then coming back to someone just outside the opposition's box) and end up passing it all the way back to the goalkeeper rather than continuing to build the pressure. Actually, another thing is that I can often see Pickford getting exasperated by the lack of runs. There are times when nobody's moving in midfield at all so there's no one free to pass the ball to. And these frustrations are linked - yes, we keep the ball when giving it back to the keeper, but not for very long or productively if there's then no one to pass it to who's going to attack with it. I'd rather that we keep the ball up top and attempt something attacking-wise, even if we end up losing it, rather than tediously going backwards, backwards, sideways a bit and then back to the keeper.

Why you'd want to watch this Spain team when Sweden - Poland is on the other channel is anyone's guess.

Poland have just hit the bar twice in quick succession, the second a near open goal that just bounced too high for Lewandowski to take advantage of.