Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

disperse and recoagulate

Belgium vs Portugal in the second round.  That should be good. 

Regarding politics in football, it's not separate, is it?  Not while fans are wearing racist outfits in the stadium, and booing anti-racist gestures.  Football is never separate from politics in my opinion, as everything is political and football, as the world's most popular sport, occupies such a large part of the human psyche.

Turned over to the Germany game and heard something along the lines of "Will need to score here if they want to avoid England" from some cocky commentator. Hope Germany completely dick England now. 

28 minutes ago, Disgraced Toblerone said:

Ronaldo is adored by all fans where he played. He looks like Patrick Bateman but, by all account, he’s a very decent human being.

Apart from that whole rape thing, but tbf he paid her to be quiet about it all so really she's in the wrong for going back on that deal and mentioning it. 

5 minutes ago, footle said:

Is it political to say most England fans are?

It would probably be untrue. Eastern European football is plagued by the far right. Just because Hungary almost qualified from that group as minnows doesn't mean that there's not a far right problem in that country or that there is less racism in Hungary than England. There isn't.

3 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Turned over to the Germany game and heard something along the lines of "Will need to score here if they want to avoid England" from some cocky commentator. Hope Germany completely dick England now.

Were you just in favour of a mild dicking before you heard that?

6 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Likewise with Hungary. 

You couldn't drag me to a game surrounded by typical England fans in the stadium, but even I have to admit that England fans don't turn up in your actual black shirts to declare their support for fascism.

Sweden or Ukraine await the winners of England/Germany.

Then semi final will be Holland/Czechs/Denmark or Wales.

If Switzerland somehow upset everyone in the other side of the group and make the final then England could potentially play every team they played in Euro 96 if they end up getting through to the Semis and play and beat Holland.

5 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

If Switzerland somehow upset everyone in the other side of the group and make the final then England could potentially play every team they played in Euro 96 if they end up getting through to the Semis and play and beat Holland.

3C6EFE04-4521-4FA9-9B58-8CD9C16CFBF5.gif

24 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

What about Spain?

47 minutes ago, Plissken said:

You couldn't drag me to a game surrounded by typical England fans in the stadium, but even I have to admit that England fans don't turn up in your actual black shirts to declare their support for fascism.

The Hungary fans did? I genuinely didn't notice. 

Game was brilliant. 

I've been looking around the team ELO ratings, and interestingly they don't always agree between different sites (maybe because they give matches different importance ratings). Anyway, I've done what any lazy arse would do and gone for the one with the best UI.

As expected, Austria (18%) versus Italy (82%) is the most one-sided.

Denmark (59%) versus Wales (41%) the most even (I think Wales look under-valued here).

Might it be one of the best times for England (69%) against Germany (31%)? Seems a bit generous to England to me.

image.png.e8b9971b900a8a0f5b4e0080e9ce7bdf.png

I'm weirdly optimistic about the Germany game. The aforementioned 2010 game was when England had a slew of stodgy players past their best and Germany had new, confident youngsters pretty much throughout the team. I'll stop short of saying the roles are completely reversed as I doubt they'll have anyone as shit as Matthew Upson in their starting XI, but on paper we look good.

It's the hope that kills you...

If you take it on the 2 likely starting XI's and subs then England, at home, have no reason to be considered underdogs against this current Germany team on current form.

The hardest part for Southgate and co in the next week is to get the players to believe this as we're all just raised with an expectation that we'll lose on pens to them or in a dramatic way. Even though most of these guys haven't experienced that first hand they'll have grown up watching Peter Shilton fall into his net and all the other games.

They should be made to watch the highlights on repeat loop of Emile Heskey destroying them. 

If England play fast and aggressive I don't see why they couldn't win. It doesn't seem like a particularly strong German team, in my very limited knowledge anyway.

But, I imagine Southgate goes ultra-defensive, 2 holding players, 3 centrebacks or something similar.