Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

disperse and recoagulate

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Unfortunately our shitty tabloids will build it up like they are playing against Rummenigge, Muller, Mattheus and all that, let alone the inevitable war bullshit and a round of 16 game as revenge for the last century and a bit of perceived slights.

And ITV especially. *shudder*.  It does make you wonder why they all think that the likes of Phil Foden, who wasn't even around when Gazza was past his prime, cares about all this "1966", "1970 Monzezuma's revenge", "1990" "1996" "2001 5-1" stuff.

14 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I must admit that I don't understand that chart that @artz posted.  I don't know what an ELO rating is.  Is it something to do with Jeff Lynne?

It's a chess player strength ranking system that's been adopted/adapted by various other sports and games (including the TrueSkill system that some Xbox Live games use for matchmaking):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

24 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I must admit that I don't understand that chart that @artz posted.  I don't know what an ELO rating is.  Is it something to do with Jeff Lynne?  It seems to be a list of countries with a percentage arbritrarily assigned to them with the language-defying label "winning expectancy."  It assigns which of the teams is the most winningly expectant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Basically it's just a rating system. Win a game and your rating goes up, lose and it goes down. How much it changes depends on the difference in rating between the two competitors. You can estimate the probability of outcomes using the rating of the competitors.

There are calculations available for clubs and internationals.

No matches today what the hell. How dare they.

I have come to the conclusion that: International tournament football>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Club football. It’s just so much better isn’t it.

I'm definitely in the "International tournaments are the best kind of football" camp.  I love club football, and Man Utd performances have a tendency to dictate my mood, but International tournaments matter so much more.  Whole countries are delirious when their team wins, whole countries are devestated when their team loses.  United lost 6-1 at home to Spurs, and it was a pretty dreadful feeling for a few days, and then we played Newcastle and won 4-1 and the season carried on Later in the season we beat Spurs 3-1 in a superb performance.  England lost 4-1 to Germany in 2010 and it still hurts to this day.  We haven't even played Germany in a competitive fixture since.  Defeat at the knock out stage of a tournament is so final.  That's it, you go home.  All your foolish hopes are crushed instantly.  There's no league game to prepare for next week, that was it.  That was what you were preparing for and you lost.  Every knock out game is it's own cup final, and the highs and lows are amplified accordingly.

I also love everything that goes along with an international tournament.  This one is a bit different, obviously, but I like seeing the travelling fans (apart from the England ones, generally) and the news from the team camps, the towns and stadiums, the different football cultures the various countries have.  I love working out the ramifications from the groups.  There's always crazy upsets, surprising performances, individual stories.  

Tournament football is just great.  Mexico 86 and Maradona, all of Italia 90, Gyan vs Saurez in Africa, Greece in 2004, Ronaldinho lobbing Seaman, Iceland...

Yep.  Mexico 86 started the whole thing for me.  I'd played and watched football for a couple of years before that, and supported United largely because of the 1985 cup final, but it was Mexico 86 that started a lifelong obsession.  :lol:

Another '86-er here; the first football match I ever recall was the 86 FA Cup final and a team in blue were playing a team in red (the blues were winning). Purely on the basis that I preferred the red shirts more, I decided to follow that team and sport. From that point I was hugely interested in the '86 World Cup and watched it avidly when I could. I have a very strong memory of being at my aunts house (we were housesitting) for the Argentina game and the sheer devastation felt at losing (and my parents raging about the hand of god) was like nothing I'd felt before - and football (and international test match cricket at times) makes me feel happy and sad in very unique ways.

To also echo @feltmonkey, tournament football is the best for me too. I can enjoy Liverpool's matches in a very different way, but it's the carnival atmosphere, having football dominating terrestrial TV most of the days, the high-stakes on the hope of nations on each match that just make it such a special time.

That carnival aspect in particular is why I also like the Olympics, despite having absolutely no interest in athletics etc at any other time; it's why I got really quite emotional and that magic Saturday night in 2012 and why I always feel a bit sad when we get to the end.

Sport, man - it really does mean so much for something that, objectively, is just adults playing games. :wub:

5 hours ago, ryodi said:

A silver lining for Mount and Chilwell’s isolation that they probably weren’t expecting.

Good lord in high heaven, he has fallen and all our lives are over.

Who's idea was this?

@feltmonkey @Gabe yep for me Mexico 86 was the first tournament.  Although I'm trying to recall my first match... I vaguely remember a newspaper headline, something about "England were roasting Turkey" and an 8-0 scoreline, Googling suggests it was a World Cup qualifier in 1984.  I don't care what anyone says, watching Maradona was like watching God play football, and yes he may have handballed the ball against England but who would have the balls or the skill to do that against the old enemy England in a World Cup quarter final, and get away with it (and beat a fucking 6' something" keeper whose job was to outjump everyone)?  And follow it up with the best goal of all time?  Then Euro 88 with England totally rubbish, backpassing it all over the shop to let Ireland win, but redeemed themselves in Italia 90 (shit tournament, but everyone loved England's run).  Then spoilt it in Euro 92 (still can't believe Graham Taylor thought it was a good idea to take off his best striker... when he needed a win... on that said striker's last game), ballsed up USA 94 qualifying (8 SECONDS YE GODS), redeemed themselves in Euro 96 (but those bloody Germans!), then Beckham in France 98 🤦🏾‍♂️, I could go on and on and on!

League football doesn't compare, with its muddy quagmire pitches, the fences, ITV blacking out games frequently, Hillsborough, league games on at the same time as international games robbing the top teams of their best players, the Premier League and the Champions League ushering in a new era... well, the Premier League and Champions League runs it a close 2nd (especially when Spurs somehow managed to get to the Champions League final!) but international football is it for me, especially the World Cup.

Which is why I'm going to be well gutted next year, when I refuse to watch that nonsense of a World Cup in winter in that state that won a blatant fixed vote even though England's bid was by far and away the best bid especially when even FIFA said it was during a mid-bid review 😡

54 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Agreed. Biennial tournaments are one thing but pointless friendlies and bloated qualifying really struggle to hold the attention.

I'd like to hear a perspective from our international forumites, like @Gabzy or @Disgraced Toblerone, because I sometimes wonder if this viewpoint is particularly English one - a side expected to routinely qualify so there's rarely any jeopardy - maybe once every 16 years there might be some difficulty.

From an Irish perspective I can tell you the qualifiers are every bit as gripping as a final tournament game, because they carry the same threat of finality. Every game matters.

Except friendlies, of course - those are only really interesting from an academic perspective, if that.