Euro 2020 - Congrats Italy

13 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Ronaldo will have to break Ali Daei's record in some meaningless friendly the Portugese FA have arranged to give him easy goals.

No need - Portugal's next scheduled match is against Ireland.

50 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I doubt France are looking at anybody in their side of the draw so far and thinking they have much to worry about

They'll be confident, but given they've only won one match so far - thanks to an own goal - it's an assumed one rather than based in any reality. They've yet to hit a gear to lift them above Italy or Belgium who have at least turned it on and cruised past a couple of sides.

It'll be friendlies for some, I'm sure, but the Euros being delayed has meant the traditional June window for qualifiers had to be cleared.

So now everyone can enjoy an immediate three-game window in early September, which will be most welcomed by players who've just played a gruelling condensed domestic campaign and a major tournament.

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Dude, your hats have skulls on them.

Not a lot to complain about really, apart from Walker's sexy lockdown escapades, oh yeah and Grealish's boozy car-crash one, oh I suppose Foden's too, then there's Maquire's punchy holiday :facepalm:... I'll get me coat.

They'll be confident, but given they've only won one match so far - thanks to an own goal - it's an assumed one rather than based in any reality. They've yet to hit a gear to lift them above Italy or Belgium who have at least turned it on and cruised past a couple of sides.

I think they are growing into the tournament though, which is what the good teams do, and had more to give versus Portugal, had they wanted to. Contrast that to the teams who blitzed through the group games - Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands - none of those teams were all that good in their knockout games (and obviously the Dutch were punished for it.) 

Italy were great in the groups, but everybody kept saying they hadn't been tested - well Austria gave them a game and whilst their class did eventually tell, it certainly wasn't comfortable for large parts of that match. Ditto Belgium, they did not play well and were second best for much of that game.

France may not have set the group alight, but did they need to? They did what they needed to - won it - without ever hitting their stride and I just feel they still have levels above that which Italy or Belgium can hit. Still, with tournament football, who knows? It's why we love it. 

I think the game against Hungary showed France haven't just been comfortably managing their progress in the manner you suggest. They might not have won the group but for Germany taking Portugal apart, for example, and subsequently for Germany likewise failing against Hungary. There are issues there.

Hungary were a lot better than anyone expected, mind - myself included. They drew 0-0 at home to Ireland in a warm up game and though they should have won, there was nothing about their performance that suggested they weren't going to finish bottom of the group with zero points. So to turn up and take what they did would certainly have surprised the French. 

But I don't think they can look at the draw and think "hommes, nous avons ceci!". Any of the teams could pull a performance out of the bag. A red card could swing a tight game in one direction, as it did for the Czechs who really ought to have been behind yesterday before De Ligt's intervention. I still favour France to make the final on their side of the draw, but they can't really take the semi against Italy/Belgium lightly just because those sides had one off day that didn't punish them, otherwise they're guilty of the same arrogance that supposedly did for the others.

Any of the teams could pull a performance out of the bag. A red card could swing a tight game in one direction, as it did for the Czechs who really ought to have been behind yesterday before De Ligt's intervention. I still favour France to make the final on their side of the draw, but they can't really take the semi against Italy/Belgium lightly just because those sides had one off day that didn't punish them, otherwise they're guilty of the same arrogance that supposedly did for the others.

Well of course, I said as much in my post.

Emma Hayes really puts every other co-commentator to shame, doesn't she? Constant insights.

Lee Dixon should be listening to it in a state of embarrassment. 

5 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Emma Hayes really puts every other co-commentator to shame, doesn't she? Constant insights.

Lee Dixon should be listening to it in a state of embarrassment. 

Emma Hayes is excellent. 

There have been loads of own goals in this tournament, but I struggle to think of one that's funnier than that.  :lol:

Edit - I had forgotten Dubravka's one!  It's a close-run thing.