PSPlus June 2021: Star Wars Squadrons/VF5: Ultimate Showdown/Operation: Tango (PS5)

mdn2

13 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Operation tango looks interesting but I'd like to know if it's local coop and if I wanna play with someone on PS4 online presumably they would have to pay for it?

Can’t you just share screen with them as player 2?

I’ve only done the “pass the controller” option myself when a friend and I were taking it in turns on demon souls and he was on his PS4.

1 hour ago, p1nseeker said:

Operation tango looks interesting but I'd like to know if it's local coop and if I wanna play with someone on PS4 online presumably they would have to pay for it?

It's online only, but so long as one person owns the game the other can join them for free, regardless of the platforms you're both playing on.

Squadrons could really use an injection of fresh players, so I’m glad it’s heading for PS plus. I hope the people that try it out realize that the story mode is just a tutorial though - seen lots of comments from curious people who tried it out once and complained that it was dull. Ranked fleet battle in multiplayer is not, it’s incredibly tactical and deep. I suspect with it being such a niche genre that not that many will become regular players however.

(also hope that the tournament level players can hold themselves back from stomping on all the nuggets and discouraging them from ever coming back)

8 hours ago, Darwock said:

Squadrons could really use an injection of fresh players, so I’m glad it’s heading for PS plus. I hope the people that try it out realize that the story mode is just a tutorial though - seen lots of comments from curious people who tried it out once and complained that it was dull. Ranked fleet battle in multiplayer is not, it’s incredibly tactical and deep. I suspect with it being such a niche genre that not that many will become regular players however.

(also hope that the tournament level players can hold themselves back from stomping on all the nuggets and discouraging them from ever coming back)

Did you keep at it in VR? Wondering if PSVR is something worth sticking with (great immersion but super super low res in this case) or just play on the TV, I bounced off the controls and the early missions but will go back to it at some stage...probably a bit too close to playing Ace Combat 7 (my god the music in that)

Hell yes - never played a single minute outside of VR, and I’ve logged something like 200 hours in Fleet battles alone... incidentally I switched to my PS4 Pro, taking it away from the good telly when it became apparent this is the only game I would be playing for quite a while.

It is noticably higher resolution in VR on a Pro. I’m told running it on PS5 is another step above that.

23 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Oh, that's a shame. Still, avoids me having to download it, I guess.

FWIW I still enjoyed the single player story, was great just for getting the X-Wing feels. 

On 27/05/2021 at 10:20, Uncle Mike said:

Oh, that's a shame. Still, avoids me having to download it, I guess.

It's not just a tutorial, at least not in the same way that the single player mode in Battlefront is just a tutorial. It's a proper single-player campaign - it's good rather than outstanding, but it's worth playing. And it's absolutely steeped in the vibe of Star Wars.

Yes I was going to say, it’s unfair to call Squadron’s single player comparing a tutorial. It’s similar the old Rogue Squadron games’ campaigns. It has a story, uniquely crafted missions, cut scenes, bonus objectives and challenges for replayability etc. It’s not too long but I doubt you’d feel shortchanged. It’s still 12 missions. I agree that it’s all about the Fleet Battle multiplayer mode, but the multiplayer is hardly more extensive than the single player. It’s just a smaller game than we’re used to these days, and the RRP reflected that. 

I bought Star Wars Squadrons on PC day one for VR. Not only did VR not work for so long that by the time they fixed it the game was already discounted, but the single player story element turned out to be more than somewhat dull. I never finished it - which is rare for me.

The game was a huge disappointment. 

I’m not really into online gaming and bought Star Wars Squadrons at Xmas, just for some nice, Star Warsy action over the break in 1-player. Only played it a couple of times (and it looks and sounds great), but I have found the controls pretty fiddly. 

I’ve just resumed it and while enjoying it, I’m still not very good, and regularly find myself bumping into Star Destroyers, or finding it tricky to chase a TIE fighter. 

I still think the game that gave me the best feeling of Space dogfighting was Colony Wars: Vengeance on PS1. Your ship was nippy, and you could turn on a sixpence if a baddy screamed past you. I’ve noticed the same instincts kicking in when playing SWS which could be why I’m rubbish at it. 

I think Colony Wars still had fantastic “massive ship blowing up” events that felt genuinely satisfying too. 

I might have to see if there are any YouTube tutorials for getting good at being a pilot. 

13 hours ago, Twinbee said:

I’m not really into online gaming and bought Star Wars Squadrons at Xmas, just for some nice, Star Warsy action over the break in 1-player. Only played it a couple of times (and it looks and sounds great), but I have found the controls pretty fiddly. 

I still think the game that gave me the best feeling of Space dogfighting was Colony Wars: Vengeance on PS1. Your ship was nippy, and you could turn on a sixpence if a baddy screamed past you. I’ve noticed the same instincts kicking in when playing SWS which could be why I’m rubbish at it. 

You can turn the way you want by using the boost/drift mechanic - if you are using controller I’m told that remapping the boost onto a trigger makes it a lot more intuitive (I use Hotas so just passing on what I’ve heard).

Here’s a (less-than-perfect) example from a recent game, this guy thought I was easy pickings in my B-wing and probably didn’t expect me to swing around to face him. Love the kill-cam here - we both died, but he went first. Must have shat himself lol

I fired up Astrobot after setting up the PSVR on the PS5, and to test my VR legs, and - suffice to say - I’m back to legless. 

How is Star Wars on the old vom-o-meter? Should I ease in gently?

I imagine it won’t be too kind to you if you’re not used to it. Things rotate a lot. Personally speaking I have no issues at all, can fly for hours at a time and not feel anything weird - but that’s after a lot of VR cockpit experience in other games like AC7, No Man’s Sky and Wipeout. I may have felt a bit weird the first time I played this? But like I said elsewhere I have played it exclusively in VR mode for hundreds of hours.

I’ve been playing the single player mode of that Star Wars game and it’s quite dull.

I always thought piloting an x-wing or tie fighter would be exciting but they’ve somehow managed to make it both fiddly and quite boring. The inability to walk about the hangar whilst being able to click and have optional chats between levels seem pointless too.

I guess it was designed for multiplayer VR and I’m not using either.