Jump to content
IGNORED

Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen


Gotters
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Strafe said:


I might be wrong here but aren’t all OLEDs more efficient due to them only having to light per pixel instead of a backlight for the whole screen?


For dark images, an LCD display is inefficient, because you are making a lot of light with the LED backlight only to block it with the LCD screen.

 

For bright images, LCDs are very efficient, because you are making a lot of light and sending most of it through.

 

OLED materials convert energy to light with about one third the efficiency of the inorganic LEDs in backlights. So they have the edge with dark images, but very quickly fall behind with bright ones. That’s why you don’t see OLEDs used for home lighting, for example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nintendo made the right move going with a bigger OLED screen. I’ve found myself playing in handheld mode a lot less recently because the screen is dated looking, games will look lovely on this and it will definitely draw me back in. A 2D Metroid is a great game to partner it with at launch too, gonna be ace. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Also incredible that there's still no Bluetooth audio 😂

 

Not that incredible at all really - neither MS or Sony support it either. There are issues around lag and # of connections etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, deerokus said:

Brutal audio lag unless you use some specific or bespoke codecs at both ends. 


You can get passable latency with the ordinary Bluetooth codec and the right set of earphones but it’s a complete lottery, games companies are right to skip it even if 90% of players wouldn’t notice.

 

IIRC what Apple does with the AirPods is delay the video by the known latency of the earphones, but of course that’s a non-starter with games.
 

My LG TV won’t actually let you use Bluetooth audio output while it’s in game mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Brutal audio lag unless you use some specific or bespoke codecs at both ends. 

 

Don't come into Nintendo threads with valid reasoning @deerokus - it's clearly because they (the people that made a handheld that can play Crysis, Witcher, and Doom while sitting on the lav for a few hours) are technically incapable of what your average RLLMUK'er could knock out in an afternoon of open-source driver googling. There can be no other possible reasons.

 

And yes, I know they make some strange decisions - but I can confidently say it's almost certainly not because of what they are technically capable of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Brutal audio lag unless you use some specific or bespoke codecs at both ends. 

 

I use Bluetooth headphones with my LG OLED late at night and would certainly not call the lag 'brutal'.

 

It's barely perceptible to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Isaac said:

 

I use Bluetooth headphones with my LG OLED late at night and would certainly not call the lag 'brutal'.

 

It's barely perceptible to me.


LG shipped OLED TVs with 1/6th of a second of audio lag on the built in speakers  for years, you’re probably just used to it sounding like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Alex W. said:


LG shipped OLED TVs with 1/6th of a second of audio lag on the built in speakers  for years, you’re probably just used to it sounding like that.

 

Surely nobody would spend all that money on an OLED TV (particularly in earlier years' pricing) and use the inbuilt speakers. Surely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/05/2021 at 13:47, Rayn said:

This is going to be a gold mine for the fucking scalpers. 

 

Nope, fortunately you should just be able to buy one from Nintendo direct, scalpers can go fuck themselves this time, the middle man is an option but why deal with the monkey when you can go to the organ grinder?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/05/2021 at 13:47, Rayn said:

This is going to be a gold mine for the fucking scalpers. 


Nah. A proper Switch 2 would be. This is like when Apple released a white iPhone 4 halfway into the cycle and nobody gave a fuck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, marsh said:

 

Nope, fortunately you should just be able to buy one from Nintendo direct, scalpers can go fuck themselves this time, the middle man is an option but why deal with the monkey when you can go to the organ grinder?

How will that stop scalpers or make them more easily available, from Nintendo direct (no pun intended) or anywhere else? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, marsh said:

 

Nope, fortunately you should just be able to buy one from Nintendo direct, scalpers can go fuck themselves this time, the middle man is an option but why deal with the monkey when you can go to the organ grinder?


I think the scalpers can also buy one from Nintendo direct, the same way they bought xboxes and PlayStation’s from their respective owners.

 

That said, the Nintendo UK store is just franchised, shigeru ain’t packing your switch in a box, it’s done by the hut group.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Wiper said:

 

Surely nobody would spend all that money on an OLED TV (particularly in earlier years' pricing) and use the inbuilt speakers. Surely.


External speakers add their own latency on top of that. The built ins are just the lowest possible audio lag the affected TVs get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

How will that stop scalpers or make them more easily available, from Nintendo direct (no pun intended) or anywhere else? 

 

Well, you'd hope that they'd limit it to one per household for a start and look at what's happened to the other two launches and think 'maybe we should not cunt this up'

 

But then an original switch was tricky to get hold of back in the day, pre-order or fail is my advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, marsh said:

 

Well, you'd hope that they'd limit it to one per household for a start and look at what's happened to the other two launches and think 'maybe we should not cunt this up'

 

But then an original switch was tricky to get hold of back in the day, pre-order or fail is my advice.

Sadly I think if these guys want to scalp them then they will, and something like one per household won’t put them off. 

 

I’m hoping it will be easier to get hold of but I’ll be sticking in a pre-order when/if I can - because even that was nightmare with PS5 and Series X.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:


External speakers add their own latency on top of that. The built ins are just the lowest possible audio lag the affected TVs get.

 

Perhaps a further addendum needs to be added: surely the sort of person who buys a hyper-expensive TV uses a separate AV receiver and amp rather than allowing their TV to handle everything. Surely.

 

(also the addendum that both posts should be read with the kind of voice that reveals the speaker does in fact know that people will absolutely be using their TVs in this way. Along with keeping motion interpolation on for everything, watching DVDs in the wrong aspect ratio and generally having a nice time)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/06/2021 at 08:15, Nate Dogg III said:

 

In fairness to EG, Nintendo hate leaks these days to such an extent that they absolutely will change their plans if something gets out about them. They've done it within the past 18 months (I am being deliberately vague, sorry). Basically ever since that big Pokemon leak a while back, they've been more protective than ever. If I had to guess it's that if they make it so the press turns out to be wrong enough times then they'll stop doing it. 

 

And Bloomberg reported it too, of course. I can't see them publishing something they can't stand up. 

 

THIS AGED WELL YOU GUYS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.