Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

Unless there's an increase in processing and/or graphical power, then I don't think I'll be buying, not at launch, anyway. An OLED screen would be nice, but I hardly ever use mine portable anyway. Have Nintendo ever released anything with an OLED screen? It just doesn't seem a very Nintendo thing to do.

1 minute ago, pulsemyne said:

All hail DLSS.

I guess that's a solution. It's more of an issue on the third party stuff rather than the in-house games, but I'd kill for a portable handheld that chucked out all my stuff at 60fps.

Bluetooth is a must this time around. 

Its really annoying mucking around with Bluetooth adapters or wired headsets. I get when the Switch came out most phones still had 3.5mm but now most things have moved towards wireless I'd like the option with Switch as well. 

For me it's probably the biggest annoyance with the current two versions. 

I think two things are holding that back: Bluetooth audio delay is a total crapshoot from unnoticeable to distracting, and the Switch is already using Bluetooth for its controllers which may clash badly.

Not really arsed about 4K, especially at the level of fidelity a mobile chip will be able to manage. But HDR? Fuck yes. Then they can re-release Super Mario Galaxy 2 and I can play Slimy Spring Galaxy again and again until the end of time.

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I think two things are holding that back: Bluetooth audio delay is a total crapshoot from unnoticeable to distracting, and the Switch is already using Bluetooth for its controllers which may clash badly.

Could have BT audio only enabled if using in handheld mode, would be a comprimise if it is THAT much of an issue, dunno, would suit me down to the ground, as I've only really played the Lite in the last 8 -10 months, occasionally charge up the larger units to make sure they're still working, but it's really just a Tetris and Pac-man 99 box now, that I pay before going to sleep and when I wake up, we NEED something new and exciting to play on it.

Let's see if the leaks earlier in the year and at the end of the last year turn out to be true.

-DLSS

-Xbox One S in terms of power.

-Third Party exclusives consisting of games that aren't possible on the base system. Think RDR2, FF7R, etc.

6 hours ago, McCoy said:

Bluetooth is a must this time around. 

Its really annoying mucking around with Bluetooth adapters or wired headsets. I get when the Switch came out most phones still had 3.5mm but now most things have moved towards wireless I'd like the option with Switch as well. 

For me it's probably the biggest annoyance with the current two versions. 

Bluetooth headsets are absolutely no use for gaming. None of the consoles support it for good reason. 

Fwiw there are number of arctis wireless headsets which should work. Usb dongle plugs into the charge port. 

4 hours ago, deerokus said:

Bluetooth headsets are absolutely no use for gaming. None of the consoles support it for good reason. 

Fwiw there are number of arctis wireless headsets which should work. Usb dongle plugs into the charge port. 

Well, whatever the tech, I'd really rather like the option to use wireless headsets. 

Out of interest, why is Bluetooth so terrible for gameplay but not, for example, watching a video on my phone? 

Let’s hope this is coupled with a “Nintendo Selects”-esque series of discounted rereleases so the cost of ownership isn’t so absurd.

15 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Well, whatever the tech, I'd really rather like the option to use wireless headsets. 

Out of interest, why is Bluetooth so terrible for gameplay but not, for example, watching a video on my phone? 

It depends on the codec used but Bluetooth has a certain level of latency so the image will travel to you before the sound over the Bluetooth. With a video it's a fixed playback so they can potentially be synced up if the video is shown slightly earlier to compensate, but a game can't because it's realtime. It's also frame rate: 24fps (42ms) video has a higher latency so will be less out of sync, but say, a 30fps (33ms) game has lower latency so has more chance of the video being received too quickly and noticeably out of sync. So the Bluetooth device would need a 33ms maximum latency to not sound weird with a 30fps game. And I think most are much higher than that.

At least that is how I understand it.

I also read somewhere that only codecs like Aptx-ll can go under 40ms, so it's not easy to find devices that are sufficient. Sony XM2s that I have support it, but it's still not sufficient for 60fps games. Just barely for 30fps ones. "Fine" for video though, thanks to the low latency codec.

2 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

How do they patch a cartridge?

By saving the updates to system's internal storage? I'm not sure any Switch games save updates/save data to the game card directly.

6 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

By saving the updates to system's internal storage? I'm not sure any Switch games save updates/save data to the game card directly.

Yep. Switch cards are read only.

Just now, Kevvy Metal said:

They do already! It’s called “leaving it in the dock”. 

Yeah, but I’m paying for a screen, joycons and it being slightly crippled because of the portable form factor, which seems like a total waste.

I just want to play Nintendo games on my TV and I’ve got absolutely no need for portability.

I’m having lots of first world problems recently!

Just now, Paulando said:

A TV-only Switch the size of an Apple TV would be cool as fuck to be fair. It will never happen though.

Yeah, you'd have thought it was a broadly cheap proposition to make, what with no screen being present. 

I could see a line up of:

Switch / Switch Pro

Switch Lite (no TV) 

Switch Core (no portable) 

Being a sensible range. The Switch Pro should absolutely replace the original switch, not sit alongside it. 

7 hours ago, HarMGM said:

Let's see if the leaks earlier in the year and at the end of the last year turn out to be true.

-DLSS

-Xbox One S in terms of power.

-Third Party exclusives consisting of games that aren't possible on the base system. Think RDR2, FF7R, etc.

DLSS is the only one of those that has been credibly and repeatedly backed up so I’m going to rule out the others. Certainly if they’re using DLSS to get to 4K on ordinary Switch titles, it doesn’t need to be that powerful, and I don’t think there’s a Tegra chipset that powerful on the horizon.

3 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Yeah, you'd have thought it was a broadly cheap proposition to make, what with no screen being present. 

I could see a line up of:

Switch / Switch Pro

Switch Lite (no TV) 

Switch Core (no portable) 

Being a sensible range. The Switch Pro should absolutely replace the original switch, not sit alongside it. 

I’d be surprised if Nintendo hadn’t at least thought about a Switch microconsole. Maybe that bubble bursting a couple of years before the Switch launch gave them cold feet? I wonder if there’s anything on micro consoles in the Nintendo super-leak.

• Gotters changed the title to Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen