Jump to content

Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen


Gotters
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Alex W. said:


I’d be surprised if Nintendo hadn’t at least thought about a Switch microconsole. Maybe that bubble bursting a couple of years before the Switch launch gave them cold feet? I wonder if there’s anything on micro consoles in the Nintendo super-leak.

 

What if the N64 Mini turned out to actually play Switch games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It’s definitely not going to be called Switch Pro.

 

Power Switch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There'll be a >New< Switch which is handheld only, and a >New< Nintendo Switch Lite which works both on a TV (but only with >New< Switch games) and handheld (but only with original Switch games). You also need to migrate your Nintendo account to their >New< Nintendo Account system which offers benefits like No Online unless you pay for >New< Nintendo Online (not compatible with Original Switch Online titles which require their own subscription). Both the >New< Switch and the >New< Switch Lite will be fully compatible with all existing Switch titles (except for Labo, Mario Kart Live, Splatoon 2 and two player mode in Arms) and peripherals (except for the flip grip, Hori pads, and the purple right joycon which will function as a left joycon in select games).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JPL said:

Yeah, but I’m paying for a screen, joycons and it being slightly crippled because of the portable form factor, which seems like a total waste.

 

I just want to play Nintendo games on my TV and I’ve got absolutely no need for portability.

 

I’m having lots of first world problems recently!

 

 

I had the same opinion in the run up to the switch release - I had no interest in hand held gaming and thought the concept ridiculous and doomed to the same (relative) failure as the Wii U.

 

Of course, I still picked one up on launch day and since then I'd estimate that less than 10% of the thousands of hours I've played on it have been via the TV, way less probably. And most of that handheld use has been at home as even when just knocking around the house it is so easy to just pick up the Switch and play and it is that that that has lead to me putting way more hours into handheld than I ever thought likely. It has been a literal game changer...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mike S said:

 

 

I had the same opinion in the run up to the switch release - I had no interest in hand held gaming and thought the concept ridiculous and doomed to the same (relative) failure as the Wii U.

 

Of course, I still picked one up on launch day and since then I'd estimate that less than 10% of the thousands of hours I've played on it have been via the TV, way less probably. And most of that handheld use has been at home as even when just knocking around the house it is so easy to just pick up the Switch and play and it is that that that has lead to me putting way more hours into handheld than I ever thought likely. It has been a literal game changer...

Oh, I got the original Switch on launch day and I've probably used it in handheld mode less than 10 times. I've just got no need to play on such a small screen with basic sound, when I've got an OLED and surround sound system. Having it docked is cool (well, it was before it broke), but I'm a bit annoyed that I've had to pay for the screen and joycons, when they're of practically zero use to me.

 

It's no big deal though really, as it'll never happen, but it'd be nice to have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Oh, I got the original Switch on launch day and I've probably used it in handheld mode less than 10 times. I've just got no need to play on such a small screen with basic sound, when I've got an OLED and surround sound system. Having it docked is cool (well, it was before it broke), but I'm a bit annoyed that I've had to pay for the screen and joycons, when they're of practically zero use to me.

 

It's no big deal though really, as it'll never happen, but it'd be nice to have.

 

 

 

Maybe if the new Switch was outputting 4k at 60fps then I might be more inclined to use it on the TV but, for now, most games look a bit shite on the TV when compared to the lower res, but still sharper, image of the switch display. Mostly though it has been the sheer convenience of just picking it up and playing without the need to be sat in front of the TV that has been revolutionary in ways that I absolutely was not expecting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mike S said:

 

 

 

Maybe if the new Switch was outputting 4k at 60fps then I might be more inclined to use it on the TV but, for now, most games look a bit shite on the TV when compared to the lower res, but still sharper, image of the switch display. Mostly though it has been the sheer convenience of just picking it up and playing without the need to be sat in front of the TV that has been revolutionary in ways that I absolutely was not expecting.

Yeah, that’s fair enough. We all have different ways of playing. I just wish I had a use for its portability, but it’s really of no use to me.

 

I’ll still get a Switch Pro on launch day though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hitcher said:

How do they patch a cartridge?


Is this sarcasm that I don’t get or do you actually think they can’t patch physical switch games?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Yeah, that’s fair enough. We all have different ways of playing. I just wish I had a use for its portability, but it’s really of no use to me.

 

I’ll still try to get a Switch Pro on launch day though!

Edited, for availability,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How do you patch something that's being loaded off external media? Going back to things like Halo 2 on the Xbox, not just the Switch. I assume it loads the game code off the disk, and that game code checks the local storage for a patch, and if there is one it runs that... and then the patch software patches the executable in memory at boot? Or do they keep a whole patched version of the game executable on the local storage?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we all know this isn't real, right? Like Dekay says, it's just all rumour with no proof. So here's info from Vandal, who have leaked stuff before talking about this obviously made up product:

 

Quote

In the last hours, several prestigious international media such as Bloomberg or Eurogamer have assured that the announcement of the new Nintendo Switch model is imminent, and that it will take place before E3 2021, which begins on June 12. Now we offer you some unpublished details of the new Switch, which we have told you in our weekly Vandal Radio podcast, and which we are going to reproduce below.

All this information comes from an Asian peripheral manufacturer that has had access to the console and has already been able to see it, so almost all the details are from the aesthetic part and we do not know specific information about its internal hardware, beyond that It will offer 4K image output when connected to a television, as has been rumored for months.


The size of the console will be very similar to the original model, so it seems that it will be compatible with current Joy-Con as well as other types of peripherals. The screen will be larger, up to 7 inches, but without the body of the console having been increased, something that has been achieved by practically eliminating the black frames that surround the screen of the current model. A screen that will be OLED, as you can see, it was pointed out for a long time, so the image quality will be better than the current LCD screen.

A novelty in the body of the console will be that it replaces the current support to support it, somewhat flimsy, with a base that goes from side to side of the console and that will hold it more stable, similar to that found in some tablets such as the Surface Pro that you can see in the following image.

Another change is that the microSD card to expand the memory of the console no longer goes in the lower part, and this slot is now located on the side of the back, in a more accessible way, although again under the support to support it.

The new dock, the device with which we connect the console to the TV, will be very similar in size to the current one, although it will be a little wider at the rear, and will include two USB 3.0 ports, faster than the current 2.0 ports. The most outstanding novelty of the dock will be that it will have an ethernet network port, to be able to connect it by cable to the internet, something unprecedented in a Nintendo console since it has always been necessary to resort to peripherals to have this type of connectivity.

The various information that appeared yesterday pointed to an imminent announcement and a launch date for September or October. Our sources have told us that indeed the console is already in the final production process, but that the global launch is uncertain, and that it may not arrive in Europe until the end of November, and with a fairly limited number of consoles compared to previous brand launches. You already know the current semiconductor crisis that is affecting new generation consoles, and the new Switch is not going to get rid of them, as the president of the company himself recognized.

If the information of the last hours is true, the new Switch will be announced during the next two weeks, so we will solve all kinds of doubts about this new model of the Nintendo console that has been talking about for too long.

 

And the highlights of these definite lies:

 

- Pretty much same size but with bigger OLED screen (7 inches?), so almost no bezels.

- Current joycons compatible.

- Surface-style flap for tabletop gaming.

- Micro SD slot behind this flap on the back. Easier to access.

- Slightly thicker dock with 2 USB 3.0 ports and ethernet port.

- 4K TV output.

- It would arrive Europe at the end of November (edit: seems like this could be later than in other regions but this is not confirmed) with very limited units.

 

https://vandal.elespanol.com/noticia/1350744733/nuevos-detalles-exclusivos-de-switch-pro-pantalla-tamano-dock-llegada-a-europa/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Alex W. said:


DLSS is the only one of those that has been credibly and repeatedly backed up so I’m going to rule out the others. Certainly if they’re using DLSS to get to 4K on ordinary Switch titles, it doesn’t need to be that powerful, and I don’t think there’s a Tegra chipset that powerful on the horizon.

A lot of the info surrounding DLSS being used for the Pro came from the same set of insiders who are backing the other two items on that list though. The only thing is that Bloomberg hasn’t reported on that yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, deKay said:

Switch Pro appeared on Amazon Mexico a few hours ago, then disappeared again.

 

If it could be called the Nintendo Lucha libre, launched with a Mario wrestling game then I'd buy at least two of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JoeK said:

 

If it could be called the Nintendo Lucha libre, launched with a Mario wrestling game then I'd buy at least two of them.

I have always found Nintendos propensity for "Mario" + "Activity" releases really tedious but a daft Mario wrestling game really appeals!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gotters changed the title to Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.