Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

2 hours ago, grungekid said:

Jesus wept! I've got 2 switch oleds now dispatched. 🙄

If I wasn't based in the EU and subjected to insane import duty I'd have one off of you.

Couldn't resist setting it up, the screen is lovely. It's amazing how suddenly my perfectly ok old switch transformed into a scuffed up, wobbly old piece of crap once I turned the new one on! One slight design flaw with the new dock though, the old one has rubber feet to stop it sliding around, and the new one doesn't. Because of where everything plugs in, the wires are almost at full stretch and it wouldn't take much for one of the kids to catch them and slide the whole thing off. The old one had the same issue with the wires and it never felt like that was a risk.

It was a bit sad going through my massive list of eShop games and deciding to what to redownload to the new Switch, I've spent a lot of money on stuff that's not even worth the effort of redownloading haha.

2 hours ago, Corranga said:

Am i the only one daft enough to order Metroid and the Switch from different places? :D

First Metroid, from Nintendo:

image.png.cddcbd448e53fd66301928bdd063da27.png

Then the Switch from Argos:

image.png.36f56865b49d9621d29714c1edadeb28.png

I think DPD are organising a party at my house.

No, because I got the Switch from Argos and Metroid from Shopto because it was £36.

32 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Couldn't resist setting it up, the screen is lovely. It's amazing how suddenly my perfectly ok old switch transformed into a scuffed up, wobbly old piece of crap once I turned the new one on! One slight design flaw with the new dock though, the old one has rubber feet to stop it sliding around, and the new one doesn't. Because of where everything plugs in, the wires are almost at full stretch and it wouldn't take much for one of the kids to catch them and slide the whole thing off. The old one had the same issue with the wires and it never felt like that was a risk.

It was a bit sad going through my massive list of eShop games and deciding to what to redownload to the new Switch, I've spent a lot of money on stuff that's not even worth the effort of redownloading haha.

So did you do a straight swap? Just a standard system transfer and then download what you want after? 

Every single one of you are responsible for my divorce when the OLED turns up on Thursday and my Mrs asks what the bloody hell I’m playing at,

You'll have to all take it in turns to have me kipping on your sofas when she kicks me out…..

Worth it for that glorious screen

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

The screen is gorgeous, and the kickstand is actually useable :lol:

Tip with the screen: turn off auto brightness, because it seems to lower the max brightness a bit too much for my liking. I also switched from vivid to standard colours as they looked a bit garish.

E91EEAE1-750A-450C-ABF8-10C0A5F1C195.jpeg

Having experimented a bit I think this depends on the game. I found breath of the wild with its more natural art style to be a bit over saturated whilst Mario 3D World/Bowsers Fury look incredible in vivid and Arms looked especially amazing.

I’d imagine the pastel tones of skyward sword would be better suited to standard, too.

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

....Tip with the screen: turn off auto brightness, because it seems to lower the max brightness a bit too much for my liking. I also switched from vivid to standard colours as they looked a bit garish.

Thanks!! Was a little disappointed with the brightness until now.

47 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

PSA: Don't peel off the screen cover that's already applied to your OLED Switch.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/8/22715422/nintendo-switch-oled-anti-scattering-film-protective-cover

I tried applying the additional screen protector that Nintendo supply with the case. Took it to the most dust free area of the house. Got bubbles which I couldn't remove. 

Took it off an tried again but it was even worse. You really only get one try with these things.

I've just left it off and will just try to keep in its case.

I've come to the conclusion that these things are bollocks, or that I'm just really shite at applying them.

Just now, ggr said:

I tried applying the additional screen protector that Nintendo supply with the case. Took it to the most dust free area of the house. Got bubbles which I couldn't remove. 

Took it off an tried again but it was even worse. You really only get one try with these things.

I've just left it off and will just try to keep in its case.

I've come to the conclusion that these things are bollocks, or that I'm just really shite at applying them.

Get some glass ones off eBay. I’ve had one on mine since I got it in 2017 and it’s been perfect.

Just now, Paulando said:

Get some glass ones off eBay. I’ve had one on mine since I got it in 2017 and it’s been perfect.

I'll try to find one. I suspect that I'll need one specifically for the OLED switch as Nintendo supplied two, one for each model.

6 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Am I right in thinking the info in the link for transfer assumes moving one to the other which would then be redundant? I’m keeping both and want to be able to use both - one for kids and one for me. 

I seek this info too. Yes I believe the ‘system transfer’ process effectively wipes the source switch. 

Could you just switch on the new one. Set-up as a new switch and transfer accounts over? 

5 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

I seek this info too. Yes I believe the ‘system transfer’ process effectively wipes the source switch. 

Could you just switch on the new one. Set-up as a new switch and transfer accounts over? 

Looks like it is an option on transfer:

https://youtu.be/zzqapocB7B0

About 1minute in but doesn’t really explain it. 

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

If you don’t play in handheld then all you’ll really get is larger storage (64gb) and a nicer dock with a LAN port, that’s it.

But when you see it you will want to play handheld more. 

Thanks ive never played a switch handheld nor do I wish to I have a 128gb card so no reason I’ll wait for switch pro hopefully with a no screen option 

1 hour ago, CovisGod said:

Every single one of you are responsible for my divorce when the OLED turns up on Thursday and my Mrs asks what the bloody hell I’m playing at,

You'll have to all take it in turns to have me kipping on your sofas when she kicks me out…..

Worth it for that glorious screen

Tell her she can watch Netflix on it. 

I'm an idiot sometimes...

I've been mildly pissed off all day because I've been really looking forward playing Metroid Dread but there's no sign of my Amazon OLED Switch order moving.

It's taken until 8pm this evening before I 'realised' that I could actually buy the game and start playing it on my 'normal' Switch, despite being sat about 2ft away from it all day. Doh!

Metroid Dread looks incredible on this screen. What a first game to play on it. Although the games don’t have HDR, the contrast certainly gives them a HDR ‘look’, and Samus’s lights glow much brighter than the rest of her.

It cannot be overstated how big an improvement this is for people who play handheld-only (or mixed users, of course). It’s like binning the Asda TV you bought for 200 quid a few Black Fridays ago and replacing it with an LG OLED.