IGNORED

Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

1 minute ago, strider said:

No Idea why the display is set to automatic brightness as it looks awful. Turning it off looks much better and more in line with the inky blacks on my Vita and LGC8.

Yeah, definitely this. I was pretty underwhelmed when I first turned it on. It’s like they haven’t tuned the automatic brightness separately for the OLED, but that’s a pretty big oversight if so.

10 minutes ago, strider said:

No Idea why the display is set to automatic brightness as it looks awful. Turning it off looks much better and more in line with the inky blacks on my Vita and LGC8.

Is it to do with quoted battery life? Like the 5 hours quoted time is with auto brightness on? Time will tell I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Is it to do with quoted battery life? Like the 5 hours quoted time is with auto brightness on? Time will tell I guess. 

Possibly. I thought it was broken when it first turned up. Makes a huge difference to Dread with it turned off.

23 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Has anyone used or heard of the Binbok joycons? The name sounds like a joke product, but they look much nicer than the Hori Split Pad, and have gyro and rumble too:

https://binbok.com/product/binbok-rgb-joycon/

Haven't heard of them, no, but if you find anything out then let us know, as they look decent.

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

The layer that’s applied is a safety film that catches the pieces of the glass screen if it happens to break; it protects the user from the screen, not the screen from the user.

It’s something I hadn’t really considered but of course part of the reason they’ve used plastic screens on every single device is for child safety.

Well yes, I twigged that, it's Mother Nintendo after all. The company who are either one of the most altruistic and customer consciences or litigation savvy companies in video game history, but the film, whilst not as protective as some advertised toughened glass protectors will still give the screen an extra layer of protection, especially from scratching, which seems to be most peoples worry when it comes to Switch, glass or plastic screen.

It will be fine to add another layer, I suppose, but if you are worried about scratches then this film will protect the screen and give an amount of impact protection beyond just the bare glass, and if indeed it does get scratched, can be replaced. It's not an integral layer like the recent Samsung fold debacle, just a cautious extra layer from Nintendo who graciously don't want kids to cut themselves. 

Add a further protector but there's already a user replaceable scratch protection layer applied, but yeah, an extra toughened layer can't hurt.

I tried twice to apply a screen protector last night but it either wasn’t aligned nicely or I got a bubble so I left it in the end, will try again today when I’m not so tired and there is actual daylight. Pain in the arse though. 

9 hours ago, amc said:

I thought someone posted an article earlier stating Nintendo has already applied a screen protector to it. If so I don't think I'd want two layers of protection applied. I know from when my Samsung S20 Ultra came with one already applied that fitting another wasn't necessary.

They have, but its non-removable, so if it gets scratched, you're stuck with it.

3 hours ago, ggr said:

They have, but its non-removable, so if it gets scratched, you're stuck with it.

From what I'm seeing it can be removed, so it can be replaced. It's just a protective film, it's not integral to the screen or its image quality. Nintendo are sending out a psa to not remove it of course, but if it needs to be replaced you can add one of the myriad protectors out there that people are buying. They will have the same anti splintering effect. It's not something anyone should remove but if they do so, either by mistake or to replace scratches it's none destructive (from what I'm reading).

But yeah, an extra screen protector will negate having to remove a pre applied by Nintendo layer if you scratch it. So a good idea all told. It's just nice that there's something there already that will deffo add some scratch protection from the off, whether that's its exact purpose or no.

So my pre-order hasn't come in to the local Game store apparently. I'm convinced that they sold it by accident yesterday. They don't know when another one will come in.

I could order one from Smyths but they only have the neon one in stock :(

Someone tell me that it's not worth the hassle please.

8 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

So my pre-order hasn't come in to the local Game store apparently. I'm convinced that they sold it by accident yesterday. They don't know when another one will come in.

I could order one from Smyths but they only have the neon one in stock :(

Someone tell me that it's not worth the hassle please.

If you have to ask then it's not worth the hassle.

3 hours ago, grungekid said:

Anyone tried Tetris effect on this bad boy yet?

It's £22 on the Polish eshop. If you've never played it then it's an absolute must-have. I've played it on the Quest and via Game Pass and I'm tempted to pick it up again. Perfect handheld game.

4 hours ago, Paulando said:

Has anyone used or heard of the Binbok joycons? The name sounds like a joke product, but they look much nicer than the Hori Split Pad, and have gyro and rumble too:

https://binbok.com/product/binbok-rgb-joycon/

Yes I use them, they transformed the switch for me - I no longer have hand cramp playing in handheld mode. You can adjust the rumble strength, colour, recalibrate the joysticks (had to do this once), there's a back button on each controller you can remap as you wish (for another button on the same controller), they work connected and wirelessly, charge from the Switch, and they're comfortable.

They're not perfect, I've had the occasional disconnection and rumble on the left controller is slightly rattly, but by far the best solution I've found.

I purchased them from Amazon US. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094CX4K9F?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

8 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Yes I use them, they transformed the switch for me - I no longer have hand cramp playing in handheld mode. You can adjust the rumble strength, colour, recalibrate the joysticks (had to do this once), there's a back button on each controller you can remap as you wish (for another button on the same controller), they work connected and wirelessly, charge from the Switch, and they're comfortable.

They're not perfect, I've had the occasional disconnection and rumble on the left controller is slightly rattly, but by far the best solution I've found.

I purchased them from Amazon US. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094CX4K9F?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Do they need to be charged individually to use connected to the Switch? And does import duty get charged on top of that order from Amazon (or do they cover it in advance somehow)?

Hey guys,

in anticipation of my OLED arrival on Thursday I have a couple of questions -

Do people find that their grip cases from their current Switch fit the new Switch OK or shall I purchase a new one?

is there a guide on how to move everything between switches?

Cheers all

55 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Do they need to be charged individually to use connected to the Switch? And does import duty get charged on top of that order from Amazon (or do they cover it in advance somehow)?

They can be charged individually or while connected to the Switch. Amazon takes care of all the fees upfront.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Essentially: use the built-in transfer tool (which appears during setup), then download your games again.

Also: Don’t forget there’s an app in the eShop required for transferring Animal Crossing saves. And that games like Pokemon and Splatoon 2 don’t work with the cloud saves feature.

OMG I managed to apply the screen protector perfectly, or as near as dammit anyway. It looks really good and now I don’t have to worry! 

p.s. Tip if you’re using the tempered glass Orzly ones that I used, definitely use the little stickers to hold the screen in place before you drop it in. Don’t, like I did at first, just try and do it just by hand. Probably obvious but it came with no instructions and the sticker method worked a treat for me. 

The Switch is currently less than 10m units behind the Wii’s hardware sales record (91m vs 101m). Wonder if this OLED model coupled with Christmas will bump it past that by 2022?

It’s not far off the PS1 then too - 102m.