Jump to content
IGNORED

Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen


Gotters
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, grungekid said:

Anyone tried Tetris effect on this bad boy yet?

 

I didn't realise it was available for the switch until I saw your post. Bought it 2 minutes later.

Looks terrific.

Turn out the lights, switch off auto brightness and prepare to enter the zone...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ggr said:

 

I didn't realise it was available for the switch until I saw your post. Bought it 2 minutes later.

Looks terrific.

Turn out the lights, switch off auto brightness and prepare to enter the zone...

I've got it lined up for later. Currently sitting in my little girls room. She's got some kind of stomach flu thing going on which is her first one (she's 4). Poor thing doesn't want to be by herself. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, deKay said:

The Switch is currently less than 10m units behind the Wii’s hardware sales record (91m vs 101m). Wonder if this OLED model coupled with Christmas will bump it past that by 2022?

 

It’s not far off the PS1 then too - 102m.


It feels like the Switch has at least another 3, if not 4, years life left in it - I think it’s all but guaranteed at this point. 

 

8 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Honestly this screen is amazing. As the consoles ages it will inherently become more of a portable than a docked machine and this really takes it to the next level. It’s a better upgrade than a 1080p lcd screen would be. Even a 4K. 


…and for this reason! The Switch will live on  even after its place under the TV has been supplanted by newer technology. Also - I think you just sold me on the long-term benefits of the OLED. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, meatbin said:

Reports out there that the Oled dock can support 4K, leading to speculation that a future Switch 4K will come with this Oled model dock. 

 

Would make sense if true. 

 

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/08/nintendo-switch-oled-cant-do-4k-but-its-dock-can-15387888/

It's because nowadays HDMI 2.0 is easier and cheaper to source than the old ass 1.4. That's why. Doesn't indicate anything either way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Honestly this screen is amazing. As the consoles ages it will inherently become more of a portable than a docked machine and this really takes it to the next level. It’s a better upgrade than a 1080p lcd screen would be. Even a 4K. 

 

What was the original Switch screen then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Alex W. said:


They’re both 720p, the original Switch has an IPS LCD.

Hmm

 

Think a 1080p OLED would have been a big improvement. Did find the original a bit crap for small text.

 

edit: would impact battery life though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, choddo said:

Hmm

 

Think a 1080p OLED would have been a big improvement. Did find the original a bit crap for small text.

 

edit: would impact battery life though.


Tiny text is the problem really, developers need to get wise to the fact that you can’t use 12-point fonts scaled for a PC monitor when you’re designing a handheld game. It’s a problem that’s not unique to the Switch, there are so many games (even console exclusives like Death Stranding) where the text is illegible from more than 3 feet away from a 50-inch TV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, AlexM said:

 

Yes I use them, they transformed the switch for me - I no longer have hand cramp playing in handheld mode. You can adjust the rumble strength, colour, recalibrate the joysticks (had to do this once), there's a back button on each controller you can remap as you wish (for another button on the same controller), they work connected and wirelessly, charge from the Switch, and they're comfortable.

 

They're not perfect, I've had the occasional disconnection and rumble on the left controller is slightly rattly, but by far the best solution I've found.

 

I purchased them from Amazon US. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094CX4K9F?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

 

I may have to invest in some of these. As much as I like the new white Joy-Cons, my hands just start to cramp up after about half an hour of using them. I want to use the console more in handheld mode, but this is seriously limiting my ability to play it for longer periods. I had a Satisfye grip about two years ago and it still gave me pins and needles, although not as quickly as the basic Joy-Cons did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's also this knock-off Satisfye one from Amazon. Hmm.

 

Edit:

 

I've taken a punt on this one for £18. It's not quite as tacky-looking as the one above, and it's not got the Satisfye's asymmetric design, which I still find uncomfortable. I'll give it a whirl and if it's still crap then send it back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, choddo said:

Hmm

 

Think a 1080p OLED would have been a big improvement. Did find the original a bit crap for small text.

 

edit: would impact battery life though.


Wouldnt a higher resolution exacerbate the problem with small text? I think developers need to address this in their games by making the text bigger. 
 

(Something Aunty N have always been good for - big, chunky, child-friendly text has always been a staple of their games)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sane said:

If you end up sending them back I recommend trying the Hori Split Pad Pro. It doesn't have the rumble and gyro but the actual sticks and buttons are very good. I can't imagine playing my switch without them.

 

I've got them already, and yes, they are very comfy, but I've gone back to the Joy-cons since getting the OLED and it's reminded me how much I've missed the rumble. Plus, they're fugly AF, and I don't want them tarnishing my pretty new console.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah both those things are very true. I also miss the wireless functionality because I can't use them with the flip grip. Hopefully Hori will do a new version of them some day that rectifies these things. I'm curious to hear about the ones you bought (your link doesn't work btw, it just goes to this page).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Sane said:

Yeah both those things are very true. I also miss the wireless functionality because I can't use them with the flip grip. Hopefully Hori will do a new version of them some day that rectifies these things. I'm curious to hear about the ones you bought (your link doesn't work btw, it just goes to this page).

 

Ah, sorry - it's the Amazon app share link. Try this:

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09CMCZMPF/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_D4SCQQ06JZA948WEV4XV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, is anyone using their Switch OLED with Bluetooth headphones? Mine connect without a problem and play fine...for about five minutes, then I get a micro-pause and after that I can hear a constant sort of crackling, popping sound in the background which remains until I disconnect and reconnect them. Very annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

Also, is anyone using their Switch OLED with Bluetooth headphones? Mine connect without a problem and play fine...for about five minutes, then I get a micro-pause and after that I can hear a constant sort of crackling, popping sound in the background which remains until I disconnect and reconnect them. Very annoying.

 

I had that problem on the previous switch. Not tested the new one yet. What headphones are you using? I was using the little Sony buds with the impossible to remember name. Whx4 or something? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, McCoy said:

 

I had that problem on the previous switch. Not tested the new one yet. What headphones are you using? I was using the little Sony buds with the impossible to remember name. Whx4 or something? 

 

Yep, I'm using the same ones. They're pretty new, so I imagine they're using the latest BT codecs. Maybe the Switch can't keep up?

 

Edit: there are a few Reddit threads with people complaining about the same thing - static crackling sound through the WF-1000XM4s. Sigh. Back to wired, then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Popo said:


Wouldnt a higher resolution exacerbate the problem with small text? I think developers need to address this in their games by making the text bigger. 
 

(Something Aunty N have always been good for - big, chunky, child-friendly text has always been a staple of their games)

No because the text would be the same physical size, but with improved clarity

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Also, is anyone using their Switch OLED with Bluetooth headphones? Mine connect without a problem and play fine...for about five minutes, then I get a micro-pause and after that I can hear a constant sort of crackling, popping sound in the background which remains until I disconnect and reconnect them. Very annoying.

Seems fine with Apple AirPods and the Xbox Wireless headset - no problems with either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It really is a lovely machine and so much nicer than the OG console. Think DS to DS lite quality levels. Or the 2nd 3DS model. It’s just a more solid unit. 
 

And the screen makes it a ruddy joy. 
 

Im firmly feeling the Switch love again. 
 

Plus I’m pretending the Bluetooth headphones are a new feature of it and having Metroids synths firing in my lobes is a spiritual experience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.