Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

It really is a lovely machine and so much nicer than the OG console. Think DS to DS lite quality levels. Or the 2nd 3DS model. It’s just a more solid unit. 

And the screen makes it a ruddy joy. 

Im firmly feeling the Switch love again. 

Plus I’m pretending the Bluetooth headphones are a new feature of it and having Metroids synths firing in my lobes is a spiritual experience. 

51 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Also, is anyone using their Switch OLED with Bluetooth headphones? Mine connect without a problem and play fine...for about five minutes, then I get a micro-pause and after that I can hear a constant sort of crackling, popping sound in the background which remains until I disconnect and reconnect them. Very annoying.

No probs with AirPods or AirPod Pros. 

I love this new feature that’s taken them 4 years to implement. 

1 minute ago, choddo said:

No because the text would be the same physical size, but with improved clarity

I’m no game developer, but when screen resolution is increased, everything on screen gets smaller - so small text would get even smaller. Rather, to get bigger text, the developer would need to increase the font size so the text takes up more pixel space. 

Unless I’ve misunderstood. 

1 minute ago, Popo said:

I’m no game developer, but when screen resolution is increased, everything on screen gets smaller - so small text would get even smaller. Rather, to get bigger text, the developer would need to increase the font size so the text takes up more pixel space. 

Unless I’ve misunderstood. 

The content is rendered and scaled to the screen size independently of the resolution these days. In the days of real coders having to draw each pixel “by hand” it was different.

Still can’t get over how good this new model is. It’s making me want to play all my Switch games again. I love how tiny the bezels are now and just the overall look and feel of it is lovely. 

Need to try Hades next, but Super Mario 3D World is gorgeous looking. 

42 minutes ago, Death Adder said:

The docks are not interchangeable, right?  This can't be put into an OG switch dock.

They are apparently. Not got the link now but I posted it a few days ago confirming old can be used in new and vice versa. (May need a firmware update)

Any time I’ve finished a world handheld playing 3D World on my OG Switch, I stop playing and save going onto the next world until I hook it back up to my OLED telly, just in case the next world is that Bowser funfair stage (can’t remember the exact order from playing the Wii U version). I want to see all the lights come on properly 😎 

All you SwOLED folks can carry on regardless safe in the knowledge you’ll be getting proper lit up even on a handheld.

32 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Still can’t get over how good this new model is. It’s making me want to play all my Switch games again.

Yeah, totally. It’s like when you buy a new TV, or when you buy a new pair of headphones and it makes you want to listen to all of your music again.

1 hour ago, Death Adder said:

The docks are not interchangeable, right?  This can't be put into an OG switch dock.

ive used my oled switch on my old dock. Worked perfectly. 

So people can set up a second dock on an upstairs tv or whatever fine. 

The screen on this thing is just delicious. The size increase is very appreciated and helps my broken eyes a lot. Tetris Effect and Space Invaders Extreme look amazing.

Probably not a very popular opinion but I’m kind of regretting going for the white model. 

I think it looks great in pictures, but in person I’m finding it a bit on the boring side. Not at bad as the grey Joycon model I suppose, but I definitely wish I’d have got another Neon one in retrospect. 

On 09/10/2021 at 11:21, ggr said:

They have, but its non-removable, so if it gets scratched, you're stuck with it.

Wouldn't a screen protector be more likely to scratch than the glass underneath? Doesn't make sense for it to be non-removable

19 hours ago, Popo said:

It feels like the Switch has at least another 3, if not 4, years life left in it - I think it’s all but guaranteed at this point. 

If that's the case, it'd be nice if Nintendo weren't doing their traditional cooling down of first party titles as if it's the console's last years. I'll be gutted if the last hurrah games come as soon as BotW 2.

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yep, I'm using the same ones. They're pretty new, so I imagine they're using the latest BT codecs. Maybe the Switch can't keep up?

Edit: there are a few Reddit threads with people complaining about the same thing - static crackling sound through the WF-1000XM4s. Sigh. Back to wired, then.

They are the ones. Very annoying.

2 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Kinda funny. I recall people being really defensive of the original switch when it couldn't do this.

If you activate it (on either Switch) it limits you to two controllers and there’s a fair bit of lag, which were the main reasons people gave why Nintendo hadn’t bothered.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

If you activate it (on either Switch) it limits you to two controllers and there’s a fair bit of lag, which were the main reasons people gave why Nintendo hadn’t bothered.

The limit only if you’re using it at the time. 

Also lag seems very dependent on headphones. In fact whether it works at all seems to depends on the type of headphones tbh. Based on posts above. It’s worked flawlessly for me (no notable lag and I’ve tried Lumines) on Apple headphones. 

9 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Kinda funny. I recall people being really defensive of the original switch when it couldn't do this.

Pretty sure most people have always said it sucked especially as the vita had it years earlier. In the end people assumed that it was not possible with the hardware. Turns out it was. 

However based on it being a bit flaky I guess I can see why they didn’t have it as a huge feature. Yes the vita had it but the vita had nowhere near as much wireless stuff going on as the switch had, and, well, Nintendo. 

Apparently the lag is reduced on each successive version of AirPods (gen 1 > gen 2 > Pros), so I imagine whatever Bluetooth earphones were available when the Switch launched meant it wasn’t worth adding in at that point. I guess they’ve all got better more recently?

It’s not that consistent - my “true wireless” Jabra earbuds have worse latency than even my oldest over-head headphones which predate Switch entirely, probably because of the need to have a delay to keep them in sync with each other. But I’d assume that any given manufacturer, even generics, works to reduce the latency of their Bluetooth processing generation to generation.

Probably the bigger factor is that wireless headphones have become the norm, and only expensive models tend to have a wired connection option.

I dug out my old pair of gen 1 AirPods and the BT works fine - no crackling like with my Sonys. Odd that the much newer, more expensive buds have that issue. Hopefully it'll get patched, but I don't hold out much hope.