Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

The grip I got from Amazon arrived today but it's going straight back: cheap, 3D-printed plastic that bends and buckles in my hands and doesn't fit the chassis of the Switch properly. Plus, most heinous of all, it still gives me pins and needles after a while - the handles on it aren't substantial enough. This one.

I'm just going to go back to using my Hori Split Pad, I think, but it annoys me that I've spent over £300 on a console which I can't hold in its default state without it cramping up my hands after 15 minutes. Those nice white Joy-Cons are just going to get shoved in a drawer now and I'll have the fugly, vibration-less Split Pad connected to it forever more instead. 

This and the BT audio problems I've been experiencing have taken the shine off a little bit, to be honest. I'm thinking things would be easier if I just went back to playing it docked most of the time with the Pro Controller (on my OLED TV, no less), like I was with the original console, but then, what would have been the point of buying it in the first place? More annoyingly still, I suspected when I pre-ordered it that this would be the case. Hmm.

8 hours ago, jonamok said:

Go for the Skull and Co. GripCase for the OLED Switch. Their stuff is great.

Don't suppose you have a link? I can find one on Amazon, but it doesn't say anything about it being compatible with the OLED.

Edit:

Nevermind - ordered from their US site directly, so it'll probably take a month to get here, but I can wait. Came to about £16.50. Hopefully I won't get charged custom fees.

How do these Joycon replacements that don't work except in handheld mode communicate with the Switch? They say "not a wireless controller" but I thought even when attached, the Joycon were technically wireless. I've never noticed any kind of physical interface between the two.

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

How do these Joycon replacements that don't work except in handheld mode work? They say "not a wireless controller" but I thought even when attached, the Joycon were technically wireless. I've never noticed any kind of physical interface between the two.

Look carefully underneath the plastic guide rail, you'll see the connector pins. They're clever little things, which is why it's so infuriating they ballsed it with the stick drift.

21 minutes ago, Sumire said:

Whats the deal here then as I was going to buy a set? It is saying you have to remove them before putting in the dock

https://hori.co.uk/split-pad-pro-volcanic-red-edition-for-nintendo-switch/

I don't have to remove them before putting them in the dock, if that's what you're asking. It goes in fine with them attached. You can still use the Pro Controller, or whatever, with the Switch in the dock and the Split Pads attached.

Edit:

Oh, sorry, just seen the picture on the site. I don't know why it tells you to remove them because you don't need to. I'll double check again later tonight, but it all seemed to be working fine when I used it. It gets the connection to the TV with no issues or anything.

46 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I don't have to remove them before putting them in the dock, if that's what you're asking. It goes in fine with them attached. You can still use the Pro Controller, or whatever, with the Switch in the dock and the Split Pads attached.

Edit:

Oh, sorry, just seen the picture on the site. I don't know why it tells you to remove them because you don't need to. I'll double check again later tonight, but it all seemed to be working fine when I used it. It gets the connection to the TV with no issues or anything.

Ok, yeah, i remember you saying they fit while attached to the OLED dock before, but then saw the picture. 

I am not sure why they say you have to remove them. ( i did email them as well)

Thanks, to be honest, I will just order some anyway - they are cheap enough.

34 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

How’s the D pad on the Hori Split pad? I fancy getting the Castlevania Advance Collection for the Switch but concerned about the controls with the Joycon.

I've gone through a few Switch things - The Hori d-pad joy-con, Satisfye grips... but I've found the Hori Split pad to be the best alternative by far to the standard joy-cons. 

It doesn't straight replace them though, as you lose rumble and gyro... but the d-pad is way, way better than the hori d-pad joycon (despite looking the same) and the split pad is really light despite their size (They're mostly hollow). 

The one issue I found with them, was the buttons, which are a little mushier, but also sometimes need to be pressed down a touch harder to register the button press. It's annoying, dunno if anyone else has this issue?

13 hours ago, jonamok said:

Go for the Skull and Co. GripCase for the OLED Switch. Their stuff is great.

Mine is on it's way, arrived at Heathrow Royal Mail distribution centre this morning.

OLED is bloody here!!!!!! 

Now transferring, then need to figure out how to get my AC Town send across.

can anyone recommend a grip case that fits the OLED, my old grip doesn’t even nearly fit 

4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’d forgotten about animal crossing.

I didn’t do anything other than transfer my old switch to the new switch to move everything across. Have I lost it?

If you haven’t already wiped the old console I THINK you should be OK, I’m not 100% how it all works but I’ve been hearing horror stories of people giving their old consoles to their kids before transferring and losing everything 

9 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

If you haven’t already wiped the old console I THINK you should be OK, I’m not 100% how it all works but I’ve been hearing horror stories of people giving their old consoles to their kids before transferring and losing everything 

Yep, this is true! Fortunately I hadn’t wiped it yet! Transferring now 

PHEW!

32 minutes ago, Strafe said:

On a separate note, can anyone recommend a suitable cleaning spray for the screen?

Any of them.

I have a homemade mix of distilled water and alcohol in a 50/50 mix.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

Any of them.

I have a homemade mix of distilled water and alcohol in a 50/50 mix.

I'd be worried about alcohol and oleophobic coatings.

I use filtered water that my window cleaner gives us and a very fine microfibre: https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-glass-cleaning-microfibre-cloth/p/0328272

Does a wonderful job on our OLED TV and pretty much every other device in the house.

16 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Say a Switch owner has two Switches, a Lite for certain games, and a regular Switch for other games. With one user account logged into both. How would they transfer to a new Switch OLED, intended to replace both older Switches?

If he has a Nintendo online sub then just transfer the user account over from one and just download the saves off the cloud. Using the dedicated app for animal crossing.  Or just set the OLED up as a new switch, login as the account and do the same. 

Ordered yesterday, delivered today. I have an OLED TV, and after playing Switch on that I couldn't go back. Result: haven't touched my switch in 9 months because the Mrs wants the TV for Netflix.

It was 350 EUR, but it was worth it. This is the screen it should have released with.