IGNORED

Nintendo Switch OLED - who needs 4k, dat screen

Gotters

Yep, Amazon is all about growth in their customer base, not how much money they make on any given sale. Even at the outset when they were just starting to dabble in CDs, movies and games they'd often just let you keep something instead of returning it because it wasn't worth the inconvenience to you, so they could be the only place you wanted to shop.

They still do this. I return lp's quite often due to quality issues and every now and then the return process just ends with 'here's your refund, don't bother sending the item back'. It seems random, would be interesting to know how they decide this.

I’ve heard stories of lots of equipment going to landfill because it’s just not worth it for them to pay people to verify and repack said equipment. Whole TVs and stuff. :(

I noticed some very slight wear around the sides of my left joycon housing immediately after removing it from the factory sealed baggie, where you can see the finish has lost the matte effect. Not because it’s been rubbing the packaging in a particular way, but through obvious human use. There is also a similar mark on the flat surface just beneath the stick. Knowing the history of the infamous left joycon I’m wondering if it’s a refurbished return or something.

I’d be up in arms over something like that usually, but it’s probably going to end up like that anyway so I’m leaving it. Otherwise if I’m buying new I really do expect it to be new.

On 18/10/2021 at 03:16, dumpster said:

It amazes me that Amazon takes it back. Someone decides to buy a 300 quid piece of hardware, unseen, pre-ordered instead of going into a shop after release to have a look, decides that they don't want a Switch with a better screen (despite that being exactly what it is) , returns it used, to Amazon.  Why on earth should Nintendo or Amazon be footing the bill for that? They should charge a restock fee at least.  It's entirely the customers choice to pre-order and it seems crazy to me that you can just change your mind and get a full refund on a used, expensive piece of equipment.  I can understand if it's faulty or not as advertised.  But to impetuously order an Oled Switch only to decide you don't want one?  Someone is footing the bill.

There's literally legislation that ensures that you have the right to return anything bought online for any reason.

Distance selling regulations. You have the right to return anything within 14 days as long as it's returned in a resellable condition (iirc). 

There's no way amazon can get out of it as it's their whole business model but i bet they'd love to.

I don't think they would want to, their easy stance on returns is one of the reasons they became so big. People just buy more when they know they can easily return things, I know I do.

I am enjoying mine but then I use it portable quite a bit and the old one had really bad stick drift.

I would struggle to recommend it unless you plan to use it handheld quite a bit or if your existing switch is problematic.

28 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I've had this in a basket so many times now. What's the verdict from new OLED Switch owners after a few days? Worth the upgrade?

I think so, playing handheld now is so much more enjoyable, I never tire of that screen, and the whole unit is just built better and sturdier. Side by side it’s night & day IMO. 

But, when I’m not playing handheld, there’s no difference apart from that I prefer the new design of the dock, and it being white. 

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:
40 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I think so, playing handheld now is so much more enjoyable, I never tire of that screen, and the whole unit is just built better and sturdier. Side by side it’s night & day IMO. 

Pretty much echo these thoughts.

If you’re the type to notice these things (OLED picture improvements, build quality etc), and you play a lot in handheld, then it absolutely is.

I love it. I only play handheld and it's night an day with the old screen. Also, the speaker upgrade is very nice and if, like me, you are upgrading from a pre 2019 upgrade model you also get a much better battery.

9 hours ago, Strafe said:

Too many returns - and especially if you’re not a prime member - and they’ll blacklist you.

I had an email from them at the start of the year saying "we notice you're returning a lot of orders. Is there anything we can do?"

To which I replied "stop selling really shit tempered glass screen protectors that don't adhere correctly".

I'd returned 3 different ones because they didn't completely stick to the screen of my phone.