Nintendo Switch OLED - you've pre-ordered one but do you really want it ?

Gotters

I'm not angry, just think it's such a spectacular waste of an opportunity. 

I've got money just waiting for the time Nintendo announce a new version that'll run BotW (and its sequel) at 60fps (god's own frame rate).

An oled screen for the handheld part is not necessary - I've always thought the current screen does the job perfectly well.

Looks nice enough. The screen should be lovely, and that new stand is a massive improvement over the flimsy thing they're using on the original model. A built in ethernet port is nice, but using a dongle is hardly the end of the world.

My Switch spends 99% of its time in the dock though, so upgrading would be a bit pointless without any upgraded internals.

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

I'm not angry, just think it's such a spectacular waste of an opportunity. 

I've got money just waiting for the time Nintendo announce a new version that'll run BotW (and its sequel) at 60fps (god's own frame rate).

An oled screen for the handheld part is not necessary - I've always thought the current screen does the job perfectly well.

Yeah, there's no point in getting radgey about it. You'd have to be an entitled manchild cunt to actually get angry at something that didn't exist in the first place not appearing. I'd have just liked a Switch that can run shit at 60 frames.

Just now, Alex W. said:

Okay, new rumour - Switch 2 will be coming out next year, it will look exactly the same, but will be 4K. You heard it here first.

God damn Nintendo - I demand 8k on my handheld devices in 2022...

16 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Ah, that's a shame. Would have been all over a slightly more powerful Switch that's able to run games like Bowser's Fury and Age of Calamity well without the framerate tanking. But as someone who only uses the Switched docked and never as a handheld, for me that OLED screen is the most useless upgrade ever :lol:

If you're running a launch window system, then you can hack the thing and over clock it, that will help with a lot of titles.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Ah, that's a shame. Would have been all over a slightly more powerful Switch that's able to run games like Bowser's Fury and Age of Calamity well without the framerate tanking. But as someone who only uses the Switched docked and never as a handheld, for me that OLED screen is the most useless upgrade ever :lol:

And as someone with a Lite, it's not a particularly appealing upgrade either as it's likely not as portable and had the horrible joycon 'dpad'.

Oh dear. I sold my Switch last year and assumed I would get one of these but honestly, what’s the point? You’re still going to need an SD card with that much memory and who cares about an OLED screen on a Switch? 

Will probably just buy whatever the cheapest one is that plugs into a TV for BOTW2. 

It’s quite hard to watch a video of an oled screen to see what benefits it provides.

I suppose this is ok because it hopefully means preorders won’t be bonkers so I can buy one and be disappointed it doesn’t do anything new.

1 minute ago, Paulando said:

Meanwhile everyone is wanking themselves silly because FIFA loads 5 seconds quicker on their £450 PS5 lol.

Only wankers play fifa so it makes sense. 🤭

• Gotters changed the title to Nintendo Switch OLED - you've pre-ordered one but do you really want it ?