Nintendo Switch OLED - you've pre-ordered one but do you really want it ?

Gotters

On 13/06/2021 at 08:15, Nate Dogg III said:

In fairness to EG, Nintendo hate leaks these days to such an extent that they absolutely will change their plans if something gets out about them. They've done it within the past 18 months (I am being deliberately vague, sorry). Basically ever since that big Pokemon leak a while back, they've been more protective than ever. If I had to guess it's that if they make it so the press turns out to be wrong enough times then they'll stop doing it. 

And Bloomberg reported it too, of course. I can't see them publishing something they can't stand up. 

THIS AGED WELL YOU GUYS

11 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I might be slightly naive but I reckon this won’t be quite the same as the PS5/Series X stuff because demand is going to be less. I mean, it’s not new, new, is it?

Supply is more of an issue than demand. There isn't an electronic product in the world which isn't at least somewhat affected by supply issues at the moment (and for the rest of the year). And many non-electronics too. 

This is the best explainer of this phenomenon. 

54 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I use Bluetooth headphones with my LG OLED late at night and would certainly not call the lag 'brutal'.

It's barely perceptible to me.

Different device, innit.

I've never really understood why people 'need' BT headphones for the Switch in portable mode but I appreciate that they're more popular than wired these days. Convenience over SQ, even with LDAC, etc. 

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

How much were you expecting? 

Well the £300 everyone has been saying for the last few hours. Or less.

14 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I might be slightly naive but I reckon this won’t be quite the same as the PS5/Series X stuff because demand is going to be less. I mean, it’s not new, new, is it?

You say that but the current Switch is outselling every other console combined 27:1 at the moment.

So it's an OLED and the screen is 0.8 of an inch bigger. Does the new 'enhanced audio' include support for BT headphones?

It's a bit disappointing, to be honest, after all the hype. I never expected them to do 4K or DLSS, but something similar to the *new* 3DS, PS4 Pro or Xbox One X - i.e, more power - would have been nice, especially for people who don't really use the Switch in handheld mode. I might wait for the Switch 2.

Will it support the Hori Switch Pad Pro, I wonder? Otherwise my hands are going to cramp up like a bastard. Has the joycon tech been improved?

16 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

THIS AGED WELL YOU GUYS

You were right but you just didn't know how far Nintendo would go. It got revenge on the press by totally nerfing its formerly 4K DLSS new console in order to earn the sweetest of victories!

9 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Different device, innit.

I've never really understood why people 'need' BT headphones for the Switch in portable mode but I appreciate that they're more popular than wired these days. Convenience over SQ, even with LDAC, etc. 

Any wireless headphones that have their own dongle work perfectly anyway. Arctis 7x being a good (but relatively expensive) example. 

29 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Perhaps a further addendum needs to be added: surely the sort of person who buys a hyper-expensive TV uses a separate AV receiver and amp rather than allowing their TV to handle everything. Surely.

(also the addendum that both posts should be read with the kind of voice that reveals the speaker does in fact know that people will absolutely be using their TVs in this way. Along with keeping motion interpolation on for everything, watching DVDs in the wrong aspect ratio and generally having a nice time)

:lol: 

Like I say, 90% of people won’t even notice but it’s the principle.

20 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

So it's an OLED and the screen is 0.8 of an inch bigger. Does the new 'enhanced audio' include support for BT headphones?

No idea. Hopefully someone posts in the thread soon about whether it has bluetooth audio or not.

13 minutes ago, Broker said:

This has made me think about how much I hate mid gen refresh machines, I’m really glad they’ve not done that. It screws over people with the original console because new games run like shit and the people who buy the new one get games held back by having to pretend they’ll run on old hardware. It’s just a way for them to charge you more money for the same games.

And the whole performance mode/quality mode shuffle is really annoying as developers rarely tell you what those modes do. I was hoping it would die off with the new consoles (maybe add a 120hz mode for those who can use it) but it seems to be ingrained.

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Surely nobody would spend all that money on an OLED TV (particularly in earlier years' pricing) and use the inbuilt speakers. Surely.

The built in speakers on the CX are surprisingly amazing. I thought I was going to get a soundbar to go with it, but haven’t felt the need to bother.

28 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

It's a bit disappointing, to be honest, after all the hype

Lesson learned. Those in the know got their clickbait out of the whole episode, though.

Bluetooth audio was the solitary upgrade I was hoping for, so this new console is dead to me.

I stamped on the old Switch too just to be sure.

58 minutes ago, Broker said:

because new games run like shit and the people who buy the new one get games held back by having to pretend they’ll run on old hardware

But the more recent old games *already* run like shit! The idea of a midgen upgrade is that those who enjoy a cinematic framerate can continue enjoying their old box no problem, while those of us willing to pay for decent performance in games like Bowser's Fury, Age of Calamity, and I dare predict BOTW2, have the option to enjoy the refreshed box! It's not a generational change, so the notion of games being held back is nonsense. By definition you're paying for better versions of the same games as on the older box. You're using the crossgen arguments when referring to midgen consoles, which is utter nonsense.

34 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Any wireless headphones that have their own dongle work perfectly anyway. Arctis 7x being a good (but relatively expensive) example. 

Right, albeit that's not Bluetooth audio. I'm not correcting you, just clarifying. I assume we're on the same page here. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

But the more recent old games *already* run like shit! The idea of a midgen upgrade is that those who enjoy a cinematic framerate can continue enjoying their old box, while those of us willing to pay for decent performance in games like Bowser's Fury, Age of Calamity, and I dare predict BOTW2 can enjoy the refreshed box! It's not a generational change, so the notion of games bein held back is nonsense. By definition you're paying for better version of the same games as on the older box.

Exactly, the resolution and framerate in Bowser's Fury are lamentable for a first party Nintendo release. When even Nintendo themselves are struggling with ambition Vs hardware limitations it's time for an upgrade.

19 minutes ago, ZOK said:

The built in speakers on the CX are surprisingly amazing. I thought I was going to get a soundbar to go with it, but haven’t felt the need to bother.

I'll take your word for it; I'm kind of surprised they got much out of them given the [lack of] depth to the TV, though! The BX does not sound great, unsurprisingly, so I stuck with my budget Q Acoustics bookshelf speakers as my audio solution.

Yes, it’s a real surprise. I mean I don’t imagine they compare to any decent separates, but they’ve certainly worked some magic in there.

• Gotters changed the title to Nintendo Switch OLED - you've pre-ordered one but do you really want it ?