IGNORED

Infinite - Mark Wahlberg Reincarnation Actioner

Goose

Mark Wahlberg plays a guy who has seemingly lived many lives, and this appears to make some people very unhappy. This isn't a bad trailer to be honest, especially before it all kicks off. Directed by Antoine Fuqua and debuting on Paramount+.

Inspired by D. Eric Maikranz’s 2009 novel titled The Reincarnationist Papers, Infinite tells the story of a secret group of continuously reincarnated people that battle an evil madman bent on world destruction for centuries. It will center around Evan McCauley, a man haunted daily by skills he has never learned and the memories of places he’s never visited. Self-medicated and on the brink of a mental breakdown, he is rescued by the secret group whose members call themselves “Infinites.” They reveal to him that his memories are real – but they are from multiple past lives.

This looks very silly.

Incidentally there's a superb book by Claire North called The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August that has a sort-of similar premise, which Amblin are also adapting.

• 4 weeks later...

While I can only applaud the straightforward injection of Adrian Pimento into The Matrix's story, the end result is pretty sterile.

There's an interesting concept here, which I imagine accounts for Ejiofor's presence, but there's a smothering layer of glossy teen-boy wish fulfilment and Marky Mark is again wildly unlikeable.

Spoiler

The villain wanted to die and not be reincarnated any more. He is defeated by shooting him with a gun that prevents reincarnation. It is his own gun.

This is not explored.

• 3 months later...

This was dreadful.  Fancied a daft, fun, 'saturday night' film last night and this seemed to fit the bill.  One of the dumbest and most poorly written movies I've ever seen.  It was just a string of badly contrived, nonsensical excuses to recreate action scenes you've already seen in other movies.

I think I lost 5 IQ points by sticking it out until the end.