Our community here

MattyP

I think its important to have a continual influx of new people coming in, to replace ones that gradually drift off.

We had an attempt to attract new people a few years back, but I see that its hard to do.

I was 20 when I joined and I’m now 27. I think this place has been a very good influence on me. All things considered I’m in a good place in my life and having this place to set me straight on a lot of things helped.

Also a lot of people here have good understanding and taste in games which helps. Any genre or game you take a mild interest in you’re guaranteed to find an obsessive fan of said thing to point you in the right direction.

I sometimes wonder if there is potential here for it to grow into something more but it’s a working (wo)mans site full of people busy with their own careers and lives. It’s a healthy sustainable state of being when I consider all the other forums that have died over the years.

Finally I have gotten my hands on things here I’d never have been able to buy otherwise which is always nice when you want to explore everything but don’t take much joy in emulation.

Great post @MattyP Rllmuk is indeed awesome. I might not post that much but I do enjoy reading people’s views on games on a regular basis. Joined when I was 28, now 44. It’s a great community, let’s keep it that way. 🙂

Been here since pretty much the start, met some really cool people at the Bath meets and visit pretty much every day. I'm crap at getting my thoughts down in writing but you lot are alright. 

I went to a Bath meet years ago with Meerman & veloS from Holland. Picked them up from Bristol airport & they we’re am amazed at the scenery - hills!

Took my tv and a brand new 360 along & it was great putting names to faces. 
How I miss those days, tales from the hostel were funny. 👍

I joined back in 2009 (blimey!) but have only started posting semi-regularly in the last couple of years.

I enjoy this forum. Overall, it's pretty laid back and chilled out and the majority of peeps are super friendly.

I've found the trading side of the forum to be jolly good too.

Long may it continue. :)

12 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I read this article recently and it really made me think about and appreciate what we have here with rllmuk:

https://www.engadget.com/2020-02-27-internet-forums-dying-off.html

Despite not being a prominent poster, I’m on here multiple times a day and would have a big hole in my life if this place ever went away. 

Great thread @MattyP. For me, this place has consistently been the best thing about the Internet; it’s the place I spend the most time on, it has a hive mind that I identify with, it’s guaranteed to pique my interest daily, there’s always something to raise a smile, something new to learn and if I need help or advice, you can guarantee someone will be able to offer it. When I’ve played online with forumites it’s been the most fun I’ve had gaming. I genuinely don’t know what I would have done over the last 17 years of my life without it.

That was a good read @Bushtopher, though a sobering one - it hadn’t occurred to me before I read it, but of course the modern generations don’t really engage with forums. They’re all about YouTube comments, Twitch streams, and Reddit - all of which are ephemeral, fast moving, and (IMO) do not foster a community spirit. Yes, you could find some good info via those routes - and I often do, there are some good people out there - but it’s a fleeting contact, dropped as soon as the informational transaction is completed. So sad to hear that so many forums are dying as a result.

It makes me glad that this place is community owned and operated - as long as there are supporters, it shall continue! So I must re-sub, I’d lapsed for many years but it’s about time I put my hand in my pocket again for this place that I call home.

It is kind of odd really, watching a group of people gradually get older together and adjust as necessary. I’m bloody 42 now, I was a mere 24 when I arrived...

I’ve been here since late 2003, it’s perhaps not quite to most significant relationship in my life (as I met my now wife in 1999) but it’s up there. Despite all the shit this is a good group of people and we should all remember that!

Same. I was 23/24 when I joined and I'm 41 now. Don't ever close RLLMUK, I don't know how I'd survive everyday. Looking forward to retirement on the forum and still playing Enduro Racer :lol:

Joypad made me want to check this place out and I’ve been here most days ever since. 
 MNRC ( Monday Night Race Club)  in the GTSport thread pretty much saved my sanity through the lockdown and it’s still the highlight of my week! 
 At Christmas we did a charity Car livery competition and race, and raised £110 for Special Effects charity. So many people were just SO generous it warmed my heart!

3 hours ago, Tequlia said:

I was 28 when I joined...and will be 47 at the end of this year :blah: making this the longest relationship I've ever been in :D.

That is a very good point I was 32 when I joined after the original Edge forums got shuttered. I have just recently turned 50 this year and it's definitely longer than any relationship I've had!!! I've had kids, been married and divorced since been here. And moved house around 4 times!!!!!

I'll be on here and gaming as long as my health allows it.... Meaning if I'm not around I'm probably dead :D

Jaded about gaming at times but usually that is about lack of progress seem to be constantly wanting the future :)

I think I mentioned this before on here, but don't you wonder if, if anything happened to you, would anyone notice you're gone? I think we all recognise certain names for whatever reason but I think, if I just didn't post ever again, would anyone care? Probably not, but does that matter? Probably not. What's my point? I dunno. I guess that's why no one would remember me 😂

3 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

I think I mentioned this before on here, but don't you wonder if, if anything happened to you, would anyone notice you're gone? I think we all recognise certain names for whatever reason but I think, if I just didn't post ever again, would anyone care? Probably not, but does that matter? Probably not. What's my point? I dunno. I guess that's why no one would remember me 😂

They would and on here you will live forever in DB backups and the posts you make! :)