IGNORED

Clarkson's Farm - Amazon Prime Video June 11th

I'm three episodes into this, and have mixed feelings. The first two were genuinely interesting, entertaining and Clarkson came across as surprisingly, well, human. Then comes episode three and we see him scoffing at climate change and calling a bloody fox hunt to his farm.

I'm honestly not sure if I want to continue after that.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I'm three episodes into this, and have mixed feelings. The first two were genuinely interesting, entertaining and Clarkson came across as surprisingly, well, human. Then comes episode three and we see him scoffing at climate change and calling a bloody fox hunt to his farm.

I'm honestly not sure if I want to continue after that.

I did have a watch last month purely to respond to this thread(!), and yeah, you’re right about it. Basically it’s a wealthy right-wing tabloid hack/TV presenter being his typical revolting self. You can’t help wonder how many racist, queerphobic and misogynist tirades Clarkson let off while filming which Amazon removed in the editing suite to make the series marketable.

Any socially-conscious message about the difficulties faced by the agricultural sector during the pandemic are obliterated because of the objectionable nature of the individual who is the main focus of the series. (I mean, what next, Amazon? Tommy Robinson’s Seaside Hotel? Nigel Farage’s Microbrewery?)

4 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I did have a watch last month purely to respond to this thread(!), and yeah, you’re right about it. Basically it’s a wealthy right-wing tabloid hack/TV presenter being his typical revolting self. You can’t help wonder how many racist, queerphobic and misogynist tirades Clarkson let off while filming which Amazon removed in the editing suite to make the series marketable.

Any socially-conscious message about the difficulties faced by the agricultural sector during the pandemic are obliterated because of the objectionable nature of the individual who is the main focus of the series. (I mean, what next, Amazon? Tommy Robinson’s Seaside Hotel? Nigel Farage’s Microbrewery?)

Ah, you're the Guardian reviewer. 

Hate watching something always ends up changing peoples opinions on the main star doesn’t it. 
 I actually thought it was pretty sympathetic to the difficulties of farming - especially when you see the final profit at the end for all the work that went in. 

9 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Nigel Farage’s Alternative Lifeboat Service is something I would watch.

22 hours ago, Mortis said:

Hate watching something always ends up changing peoples opinions on the main star doesn’t it. 
 I actually thought it was pretty sympathetic to the difficulties of farming - especially when you see the final profit at the end for all the work that went in. 

Well, that’s my point really – the general societal message about the struggles in agricultural work gets lost because the protagonist is such an odious piece of shit.

(Tellingly, at several times he also seems to miss the point that state intervention via subsidies is the core reason why agriculture as we know it is still viable, because his shallow right-libertarian worldview doesn’t allow it.)

I think our Penguin friend has some kind of irrational hatred of people called Jeremy. The debut album that Pearl Jam released was ruined by one of the hit singles, I had to turn it off and burn it. 

I have one episode left and I'm enjoying it. It has real heart. Some of it is obviously staged for laughs but it's an interesting subject matter and some of the drone footage is beautiful in 4k.

On 03/08/2021 at 17:16, Steve McQueef said:

My wife was in tears, when he went to say goodbye to his sheep, but they'd already been culled. 

How did she feel at the end when he was eating one of them? I don’t know if it was a gag or if he did actually eat that sheep but I thought that part was the worst bit in the whole series.

The series on the whole I thought was excellent, very funny, entertaining and interesting. It also made me have a bit more respect for Clarkson. I dont agree with a lot of his views or the way he behaves, but to have a crack at being a farmer at his age with zero previous experience takes sheep’s size balls.

4 hours ago, Major Britten said:

How did she feel at the end when he was eating one of them? I don’t know if it was a gag or if he did actually eat that sheep but I thought that part was the worst bit in the whole series.

The series on the whole I thought was excellent, very funny, entertaining and interesting. It also made me have a bit more respect for Clarkson. I dont agree with a lot of his views or the way he behaves, but to have a crack at being a farmer at his age with zero previous experience takes sheep’s size balls.

He had an awful lot of help and I would imagine 95% of it is not how you'd actually run a farm.  

Are you ok Penguin?

What interests me about this show is who greenlit it. It's such a dumb premise that doesn't make any sense, yet is thoroughly enjoyable, so some risk was taken somewhere. Anyway, happy there's a season 2, and Incidentally, one of my friends made it into the farm shop. Guess not such a queue anymore....

I think the three of them have free rein to make whatever they like with Amazon.  See James' cooking show(which was quite amusing) and that god-awful shipwrecked thing Richard did.

8 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

I think the three of them have free rein to make whatever they like with Amazon.  See James' cooking show(which was quite amusing) and that god-awful shipwrecked thing Richard did.

James also did the Japan thing, that was good, the only one that I couldn't stomach watching was Hammonds castaway thing, it was dross.

And bizarrely that looked like had the highest production values ... well the 10 minutes I watched did.

May's cooking thing was so cheap, they had the home economics lady hiding in the cupboard ready to pop out and tell James he was going to poison people. 

• 2 weeks later...