The “Exclusives are terrible and I hate them” Thread

Broker

So I noticed that in the Bioshock 4 thread several people mentioned how annoying it is that it might be Sony exclusive but people aren’t up in arms about that like they are about Bethesda games being owned by Microsoft. I personally think that’s probably because it’s just a rumour, but it’s possible that it’s because those damn biased Sony fans just love whining. I love whining so I do sympathise.

I figured maybe it would make sense to have a thread to discuss exclusives and how we feel about them rather than it being constantly bought up in other threads like the Bethesda and Bioshock ones. And as a spicy bit of news to get that going...

Apparently Sony have bought Housemarque! Those utter bastards.

6 minutes ago, Broker said:

I personally think that’s probably because it’s just a rumour, but it’s possible that it’s because those damn biased Sony fans just love whining. 

More likely because Bioshock 4 is one game whereas the Bethesda buyout impacts multiple. 

I do not necessarily mind exclusives for the simple reason I'll never be tempted to splurge like 500 quid on a console to play a game.

This post by Ry in the Bethesda thread sums it up really.

On 19/05/2021 at 16:45, Ry said:

If you want to play exclusives to a certain console then buy that console. 

I dont see why there is any discussion on this? Bethedsa and its properties are owned by Microsoft. If you dont have the means to play them then then discussion is over. Its been this way since the dawn of video games. 

19 minutes ago, Broker said:

So I noticed that in the Bioshock 4 thread several people mentioned how annoying it is that it might be Sony exclusive but people aren’t up in arms about that like they are about Bethesda games being owned by Microsoft. I personally think that’s probably because it’s just a rumour, but it’s possible that it’s because those damn biased Sony fans just love whining. I love whining so I do sympathise.

I think it's a bit of both people being used to Sony money hatting third party exclusivity deals (timed or permanent), and PlayStation only gamers not used to being shut out of content.

It’s interesting how games have typically been at this intersection of competing entertainment channels (like TV or streaming) and pain in the arse technological formats that content creators have to individually support. I suppose that hasn’t really been true since the rise of multiformat engines, and definitely not since MS and Sony started selling exactly the same hardware.

15 minutes ago, Radish said:

More likely because Bioshock 4 is one game whereas the Bethesda buyout impacts multiple. 

Sony also bought exclusivity to Deathloop, Tokyo Ghostwire, FFVII: RE, FFXVI, FF: Dark Souls, etc.

Also I think the root of this conversation has less to do with PS owners being shocked at the idea of an exclusive, and more about three or four forumites being horrified at the mere suggestion that Bethesda might release a game on a non-Microsoft console ever again. I mean, it wasn’t three PS owners derailing the Bioshock 4 topic.

I might be being a bit thick here but if you took away the exclusives what's the encourage competition? Would the market not stagnate with regards to the playstation / xbox battle...

Also why is it only playstation and xbox? There are exclusive games on nintendo consoles, there are exclusive games on apple's play thing, it's not exclusive to just these 2 brands.

I have no gripe with exclusives and generally find those that are do just tend to be fanboy's moaning because their console doesn't have such and such a game

Just a difference in how they operate ultimately isn't it? Sony see more value in short to long term exclusive deals on a per project basis rather than buying up entire studios. They're both ultimately preventing some players on other platforms from playing something, but one is frowned upon more than the other for some reason. :blah:

I get salty over certain exclusives (I still haven’t played Bayonetta 2) but at the same time I will buy a PS4 just because it has Bloodborne. (Although Persona 5, PSVR, the timed exclusivity of Nier Automata and MS initially shitting the bed with Xbone also helped.) I’m not the type to buy all of the latest machines - usually one console in the latest generation is enough - and as a result I’m kind of petrified to buy a new-gen console if it means some awesome exclusive will be announced for its competitor the next day. So I guess I’m part of the problem :P 

I really don’t know what this “severe” reaction is supposed to be, about two people suggested that maybe Bethesda wouldn’t be releasing  everything as an Xbox exclusive and the Xbox owners lost their god damn minds like someone had suggested Master Chief was going to be in FF16.

37 minutes ago, Broker said:

Have they? That'd be great - anything to avoid them going out of business.

7 minutes ago, footle said:

Have they? That'd be great - anything to avoid them going out of business.

This is how I try to view it. Same with Microsoft buying Bethesda, specifically Arkane. Of course there's always the risk of Sony and Microsoft "doing an EA" on Housemarque and Arkane respectively, but my hope is that it gives developers like that more security. Arkane makes incredible games, but for an audience that's more niche than the Bethesda bigwigs/shareholders would like. If getting bought by one of the platform holders means that they're getting a chance to make more awesome games instead being put to work on making DLC for Elder Scrolls Online, that's a very good thing.

Ever since I started gaming on the C64 I always saw games on other platforms that I desperately wanted. Ever since I'm able to afford it, I buy every platform for that reason. It was always like that, and I didn't even realize it could be a controversial thing until the rise of social media. And that's why I can't help the occasional shitpost making fun of it.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

This is how I try to view it. Same with Microsoft buying Bethesda, specifically Arkane. Of course there's always the risk of Sony and Microsoft "do an EA" on Housemarque and Arkane respectively, but my hope is that it gives developers like that more security. Arkane makes incredible games, but for an audience that's more niche than the Bethesda bigwigs/shareholders would like.

See also DoubleFine, Obsidian.

25 minutes ago, layten said:

I think it's a bit of both people being used to Sony money hatting third party exclusivity deals (timed or permanent), and PlayStation only gamers not used to being shut out of content.

Are you kidding? There’s still a massive “6th game in the series” shaped hole in my experience of 20 years playing Ace Combat games... It’s really weird to have all these skins and insignia in AC7 from a game that I could never play, and have no knowledge of.

Still waiting for the news of Tetris Effect being updated on PS4 as well. The timed exclusivity is supposed to be finished for that.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

This is how I try to view it. Same with Microsoft buying Bethesda, specifically Arkane. Of course there's always the risk of Sony and Microsoft "doing an EA" on Housemarque and Arkane respectively, but my hope is that it gives developers like that more security. Arkane makes incredible games, but for an audience that's more niche than the Bethesda bigwigs/shareholders would like. If getting bought by one of the platform holders means that they're getting a chance to make more awesome games instead being put to work on making DLC for Elder Scrolls Online, that's a very good thing.

Ever since I started gaming on the C64 I always saw games on other platforms that I desperately wanted. Ever since I'm able to afford it, I buy every platform for that reason. It was always like that, and I didn't even realize it could be a controversial thing until the rise of social media. 

I think much of the gaming community is still really young, and much of the online games discussion is still about catering to that age group. When you’re 16, two consoles is an absurd fantasy and a console generation feels as long as history. So I wouldn’t read too much in to that.

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Arkane makes incredible games, but for an audience that's more niche than the Bethesda bigwigs/shareholders would like.

It's not even the niche big budget stuff either.  If you look at sales of something like Tomb Raider or FFXV they work out eventually, but it's a long slog.  You can easily see why Square would be happy to sign a deal on FFXVI that gives them up front cash.

I took the decision to go PC only this gen (and maybe Switch Pro, we'll see), after ending up with various forms of all three consoles last gen, and more than ever it seems like the best of all worlds at the moment. You get Game Pass and almost all Microsoft first party stuff, aside from BC games I've still got my One X for, access to decades worth of PC games and even first party Sony releases after a bit of a wait.

At this point though I find it hard to care too much about exclusives I can't play. If Bloodborne 2 showed up as a PS5 exclusive it would be incredibly tempting, but I've got so much else to play that it's almost a blessing when I'm blocked from something I'd probably have spent £70 on.

On the money side of things it's personally always good news to see that Microsoft have scooped up another developer, as it almost certainly means that their games will end up as day one Game Pass releases. In Sony's case it's usually individual games that end up as exclusives, and usually timed ones at that, so it's not too much of a big deal. Again we'll have to see how I feel if Bloodborne 2 becomes a thing.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Really? No surprises there. Good time to have just bought a PS5 then... :D At least they should still release to PC.

As for  Bioshock 4. It'll be a timed one if it is for sure. If not. Good time to have just bought a PS5 then. :D

For PC owners its a win/win though as all these will at some point make it onto that... :)

Pretty much. I mean, this has never been that much of a problem, and now Microsoft starts doing what Sony has been doing for decades while PC was born in it, and suddenly it's all bad and leaving money on the table, etc.

It's just whining.

Exclusives are just as good/bad as they've always been and sometimes not even part of a choice.