Foodstuffs/Flavours You Despise

Gotters

Inspired by another post in a different thread. 

This isn't simply about listing things you don't like, we all have long lists of stuff like that.

What I'm talking about here is things you can detect a tiny amount of in a dish even if not listed as a main flavour, things you have to immediately spit out as soon as taste them.

I have a few of them I'm very sensitive to

• Coconut - just the worst, even a whiff of Timotei can get me sneering and turning my head away, and I can detect it in any of the plant based milks or dairy free desserts.
  • Cloves - its that hideous medicinal quality that again my tongue can detect in any curry or even spiced bun where its often in the mixed spice
  • Liquorice - how anybody can like this is beyond me. Anything aniseedy is a total no-no for me, only time I made an exception was getting trollied on absinthe once as an experiment, but after a couple of those I'd eat a clove and coconut soup I reckon.

Got lots of other food dislikes but these jump out for me as the most offensive to my tastebuds, and any of them present instantly makes any dish inedible.

Not expecting many posts before coriander gets a mention, but I quite like that.

Pine nuts. All the appeal of eating a bar of soap, taste-wise and texture-wise. I can cope if they're hiding ground up in Pesto, but on their own they're nasty little things. 

Actually, the other thing I can't stand is too much of something, rather than the ingredient itself, and that's sugar. I've flung more food and drink away because it's too sweet than for any disliked ingredient. Pre-made salad bowls with dressings that were sickly, cheese sandwiches with chutney that's sweeter than jam, bottles of "lightly-flavoured" water that made me wince, almost everything that claims to be in BBQ sauce (likewise some Asian sauces like teriyaki can be really OTT), packs of flavoured crisps, loads of other stuff. And that's without getting on to stuff like cakes/biscuits and desserts where they're meant to be sweet. At work once someone bought a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts to share. I took the most plain looking one, and still found it inedible - the dough was incredibly sweet on its own, and then they'd glazed the thing too. Binned it after a mouthful. I shudder to think what the pink ones with fillings, sprinkles and lumps on are like.

2 very good shouts I'd forgotten about with pine nuts and lemongrass. 

Lemongrass is pretty easy to avoid as unless you are at a Thai restaurant it rarely crops up sneaked into things. 

Rogue pine nuts though do turn up all over the place, vile soapy little things. Must be popular as I'm shouting a lot at Masterchef as bloody pesto seems to be smeared with a spoon on a lot of the plates. 

14 hours ago, Bluejam said:

Jelly

Any curry over a balti for heat. Vindaloos are for show offs ;) 

Gin. I’ve tried it but I think it’s vile. 

liquorice (however you spell it)

Turkish Delight 

Vindaloo doesn't need to be hotter than a Balti. 

23 hours ago, Gotters said:

This isn't simply about listing things you don't like, we all have long lists of stuff like that.

What I'm talking about here is things you can detect a tiny amount of in a dish even if not listed as a main flavour, things you have to immediately spit out as soon as taste them.

I don't really have anything I don't like, never mind a long list. And certainly not anything I'd immediately spit out!

Not really sure why I'm posting therefore. I like everything, in varying degrees.

1 minute ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I don't really have anything I don't like, never mind a long list. And certainly not anything I'd immediately spit out!

Not really sure why I'm posting therefore. I like everything, in varying degrees.

the only person I know who eats everything and likes it is Greg Wallace.

@Davros sock drawer confirmed as a Greg Wallace alt.

20 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Swede and parnsips. It's the weird unexpected sweetness. Fucking horrible.

Whilst I like them both (actually, swede is a favourite), making parsnips (and other veg) sweeter by roasting them in honey can fuck right off. Far too sweet.

Another one, this time a combo, rather than just an ingredient. Dark chocolate and raspberries. It's a popular combo (esp. if you subscribe to Hotel Chocolat's monthly box, like I used to), but for me just doesn't work. I love dark chocolate. I love raspberries. But together - nope. It's tart fruit on top of bitter chocolate. The two fight.

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

Whilst I like them both (actually, swede is a favourite), making parsnips (and other veg) sweeter by roasting them in honey can fuck right off. Far too sweet.

Another one, this time a combo, rather than just an ingredient. Dark chocolate and raspberries. It's a popular combo (esp. if you subscribe to Hotel Chocolat's monthly box, like I used to), but for me just doesn't work. I love dark chocolate. I love raspberries. But together - nope. It's tart fruit on top of bitter chocolate. The two fight.

Id agree on the chocolate/raspberry thing. Feels like someone felt the strawberry combination had become too common and needed a twist.

I've learned to tolerate/ignore it in certain situations (mostly when it's cooked into things), but celery is the only thing that I actively dislike due to flavour. If it's fresh and crunchy in anything then it's getting picked out and the smell when someone is chopping it is almost guaranteed to make me gag. 

11 hours ago, redbloodcel said:

I've learned to tolerate/ignore it in certain situations (mostly when it's cooked into things), but celery is the only thing that I actively dislike due to flavour. If it's fresh and crunchy in anything then it's getting picked out and the smell when someone is chopping it is almost guaranteed to make me gag. 

Normally I quite like the stuff - happy to eat it raw, often use it as a base in soups and stews, and have started using it more as a feature veg in stews (cooked long enough it mellows nicely). But I once had a head of celery that was so strong and astringent it made my mouth go quite numb. I was unaware it could do that, but Googled it and learnt it contains a compound called Eugenol that has anaesthetic qualities. I wonder if that may well be the thing that celery-haters are picking up on.

21 hours ago, MarkN said:

Normally I quite like the stuff - happy to eat it raw, often use it as a base in soups and stews, and have started using it more as a feature veg in stews (cooked long enough it mellows nicely). But I once had a head of celery that was so strong and astringent it made my mouth go quite numb. I was unaware it could do that, but Googled it and learnt it contains a compound called Eugenol that has anaesthetic qualities. I wonder if that may well be the thing that celery-haters are picking up on.

If you want a tingly and numbing effect from food then nothing I have ever had has come close to the effect you can get from Sichuan pepper:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_pepper

A friend cooked a dish for me with it in and then observed my reaction :lol:

In terms of the original question I don't think there is an individual food ingredient that I've come across that I can't stand., all the ones mentioned above I either love or like.  I do however have a major dislike for most grain/ milk combos so desserts like rice pudding or tapioca and porridge makes me actively gag if I try and eat it.  Have been on a few treks in remote spots and it's quite often the only real breakfast option so always now make sure I have a stack of extra compressed fruit and nut bars to cover me.

Doesn't matter if its salt, sweet or has other bits added to it, porridge = 🤮

On 17/06/2021 at 08:24, skondo said:

Rosemary - too overpowering. Nearly always used in excess.

I'm currently trying to muscle my way through a pack of Sainsbury's Sea Salt And Rosemary Flatbread Chips. I'm about 4 days in, and every new day is like being punched in the mouth with a medicinal shrub. I usually avoid snacks with strong flavours because I know I'll not like them, but foolishly thought this would be OK. The rosemary is borderline brutal. I'm doing my best to whittle them away at the moment, but I reckon most of the rest of these are getting binned. They're just not that pleasant.

On 01/06/2021 at 14:53, revlob said:

Capers. Just why.

Yep. Capers, one of only two food items I genuinely can’t stand. The other is peach, but I don’t mind the actual flavour of peach, it’s the fruit itself. It has some weird texture thing going on with me that I can’t explain.

4 minutes ago, scruffycat said:

Yep. Capers, one of only two food items I genuinely can’t stand. The other is peach, but I don’t mind the actual flavour of peach, it’s the fruit itself. It has some weird texture thing going on with me that I can’t explain.

I don't mind peach (texturally), but mango is properly fucking nasty. Slimy and with a nasty too-firm texture. 

Capers are ace though. Spiky little bastards. A mate of mine called them "combat olives" when he first tried them. For a different, slightly milder take try caper berries.

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

I don't mind peach (texturally), but mango is properly fucking nasty. Slimy and with a nasty too-firm texture. 

Capers are ace though. Spiky little bastards. A mate of mine called them "combat olives" when he first tried them. For a different, slightly milder take try caper berries.

I'm sort of there with you on mango. Sometimes it utterly disgusts me. But then sometimes it's just right so I keep going back.

+1 for parsnips, although I've come to like them a bit more now. When they're nice and roasty they're pretty good. ^_^

Also, some sushi. I imagine the restaurant experience might be better but I used to buy the generic rolls you can get from stores and the taste/texture almost made me gag at first. (I can handle it a bit better now.)