How goes your search for PS5 stock?

SeanR

Do you have a ps5? A poll  

205 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I saw on Twitter that Smyths Toys have some in-store pre-orders available. Just went to my local branch and got one. Expected delivery later this month.

12 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

Yes I want one, and to a lesser degree an Xbox Series X too. Let me write a long and bizarre post expressing my weary annoyance at the situation. I know it's a unique situation - Covid, silicon shortage - so it sounds childish to complain. But it's getting silly now.

I have a folder of bookmarks for Amazon, Argos and Game's PS5 and XSX pages. I open the bookmarks every midnight, and at various other points during the day. Occasionally my heart beats fast when it doesn't say "Unavailable"... but it's never been available. This has become a compulsive daily ritual and I feel like it's driving me a little bit mad.

My local high street Game says that the in-store waiting list is too long to add more customers to it.

I'll answer the questions you're dying to ask:

Why not buy the one CEX have in the window for £660 if you want it so badly?

Because I refuse to pay more than the official price. I shouldn't have to pay more. I want the world to feel normal again. Fuck scalpers and fuck CEX.

Why didn't you preorder one at launch back in November?

Because, ironically, I didn't want the stress of worrying about stock and availability. I hate the way a new hardware release is a circus of "Mine hasn't dispatched yet!!" "Mine doesn't say it's processing yet!!!!" "What if Amazon can't fulfil my order!!!" I find the whole process tiresome, so I avoid it.  I figured I'd skip the drama and wait til Feb/March for regular stock to be available. Ha. Ha.

Why don't you set up some kind of tracker or script to alert you about stock?

Although checking manually every day is driving me mad, I've been too lazy to learn how to do that stuff. Also it feels like I'll be playing the game that scalpers play and it will make me feel dirty.

Why do you want one anyway? You can play nearly every game on your PS4 Pro.

Yeah I have a backlog of PS4 games... most of which now play better on PS5. It's such a petty first-world problem, but I'm just sick of playing at 30fps when I know these games have 60fps modes on PS5. Lost Judgment is coming out in a couple of months and I just don't want to play another dragon engine game at 30fps.

Why don't you get a better PC and become a PC gamer?

With what? Nvidia 30xx graphics cards are as equally non-existent as PS5s.

Do you think you've fallen into the FOMO trap, and it hurts your ego to think you can't get everything you want?

I may have been really lucky in how much I was sheltered from Covid hardship, so in a foolish man-child way, the PS5/XSX shortage has been the thing that has unnerved me the most about how our world can change. Perhaps I feel that if I could buy a PS5 - for its regular retail price when a regular retailer has it in stock - the world may feel like it's back to normal.

Why are you writing questions to yourself and answering them? Aren't you afraid you look like an arsehole?

I'm just a bit driven to madness by this subject at this point. Apologies.

Do I need a PS5? Not really. It's stupidly shaped, everything is on PS4, it will inevitably be redesigned to be less huge and stupid, and perhaps most importantly, videogames are just trivial entertainment in a serious world full of Covid and real hardship. What kind of prick writes such a long post about not wanting to play Lost Judgment at 30fps.

I have almost all the same questions and answers in my head. Except I did eventually cave and buy a PC and become a PC gamer. I didn't find it hard to get a laptop with a decent graphics card (RTX 3060). 

Not sure I will bother with a PS5 now, so Sony has lost me as a customer for a good while. Except for the fact I still subscribe to PSN and buy new PS4 games that I never get round to playing. Also I read their profits are massively up over the pandemic too. That'll learn them, for such a shambolic console launch. 

I genuinely wouldn't sweat it.

I just sold my PS5 and I'm returning my Series S. I played a couple of brilliant games on the PS5 but there's nothing else on that level that's been announced. I've had my Series S for a week and I'm done with it. Flight Sim is great but there's nothing else I'm interested in on the console or GP, and games look worse than on my One X. FH5 will be impressive but I've had my fill of the formula. 

Demon's, Returnal and Flight Sim are all top-tier but also not for everyone. I'm lucky that they all clicked for me. If you're not interested in those games, there's no point in upgrading to a 'next-gen' console. I thought the framerate boost would make the many slightly dull last-gen games more appealing, but you can't polish up mediocrity. 

Put your money towards another hobby and wait a year. 

It seems so odd to me that you’d buy and resell consoles (especially a £250 one) when you presumably spent like £140 on Returnal and Demon’s digitally and can’t get any money back out for them.

Surely you’re just about breaking even on them? Maybe a small profit on the PS5?

10 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

Yes I want one, and to a lesser degree looking for an Xbox Series X too. Let me write a long and bizarre post expressing my weary annoyance at the situation. I know it's a unique situation and it can't be helped - Covid, silicon shortage - so it sounds childish to complain.

I have a folder of bookmarks for Amazon, Argos and Game's PS5 and XSX pages. I open the bookmarks every midnight, and at various other points during the day. Occasionally my heart beats fast when it doesn't say "Unavailable"... but it's never been available. This has become a compulsive daily ritual and I feel like it's driving me a little bit mad.

My local high street Game says that the in-store waiting list is too long to add more customers to it.

I'll answer the questions you're dying to ask:

Why not buy the one CEX have in the window for £660 if you want it so badly?

On principle I don't want to pay more than the official price. I shouldn't have to pay more. I want the world to feel normal again. Fuck scalpers and fuck CEX.

Why didn't you preorder one for launch back in November?

Ironically, I didn't want the stress of worrying about stock and availability. I hate the way a new hardware release is a circus of "Mine doesn't say it's processing yet!!!!" I find the whole process tiresome, so I avoid it.  I figured I'd skip the drama and wait til Feb/March for regular stock to be available. Ha. Ha.

Although checking manually every day is tiresome, I've been too lazy to learn how to do that stuff. Also it feels like I'll be playing the game that scalpers play and it will make me feel dirty.

Why do you want one anyway? You can play nearly every game on your PS4 Pro.

True I have a backlog of PS4 games... but I see most of them have enhanced patches for PS5. It's such a petty first-world problem, but I'm just sick of playing at 30fps when I know these games have 60fps modes. Lost Judgment is coming out in a couple of months and I just don't want to play another dragon engine game at 30fps.

Why don't you get a better PC and become a PC gamer?

Nvidia 30xx graphics cards are as equally non-existent as PS5s right now.

Do you think you've fallen into the FOMO trap, and you're just being childish because you can't get everything you want?

Writing this post has helped process my feelings. I may have been really lucky in how much I was sheltered from Covid hardship, so in a foolish man-child way, the PS5/XSX shortage has been the thing that has unnerved me the most about how our world can change. Perhaps I feel that if I could buy a PS5 - for its regular retail price when a regular retailer has it in stock - the world may feel like it's back to normal.

Why are you writing questions to yourself and answering them? Aren't you afraid you look like an arsehole?

I'm just a bit driven to madness by this subject at this point. Apologies.

Do I need a PS5? Not really. It's stupidly shaped, everything is on PS4, it will inevitably be redesigned to be less huge and stupid, and perhaps most importantly, videogames are just trivial entertainment in a serious world full of Covid and real hardship. What kind of prick writes such a long post about not wanting to play Lost Judgment at 30fps.

Your last point.  Games have provided a lot of entertainment for people who have been locked down and don’t just want to vegitate in front of Netflix or whatever.

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

It seems so odd to me that you’d buy and resell consoles (especially a £250 one) when you presumably spent like £140 on Returnal and Demon’s digitally and can’t get any money back out for them.

I'm returning the Xbox to Amazon as an unwanted item, so there's no sale involved. The performance is a little below my expectations. I'll get a Series X next year when it's been updated further and maybe there'll be something else to play, as well. Elden Ring, probably. 

As for the PS5, I've been all digital since the PS3 days so it made sense to carry on but I understand what you're saying. I give my account details to nieces, nephews and mates who make plenty of use so that's good enough for me. 

I'm perfectly happy to have paid seventy quid for Demon's and Returnal, and I'm sure I'll revisit them in years to come as they're in my library. I wish more games were of a similar standard! For the moment, though, I'm not very interested in modern gaming so I'm happy for someone else to enjoy it.

10 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

Although checking manually every day is tiresome, I've been too lazy to learn how to do that stuff. Also it feels like I'll be playing the game that scalpers play and it will make me feel dirty.

If you're going to worry about it, then at least up your chances. Use the twitch stream or the discord server. Otherwise you really are wasting your time. 

On 05/08/2021 at 09:18, Hylian said:

If you're going to worry about it, then at least up your chances. Use the twitch stream or the discord server. Otherwise you really are wasting your time. 

I just activated alerts for a few of the stock Twitter accounts and managed to get a Series X and PS5 disc within a couple of months. 

At the moment both consoles are mainly Fortnite machines, but that is quite nice with the next-gen graphical updates. I’ve been enjoying a few Gamepass games on Xbox and I’ll probably pick up Ratchet and Clank soon next time I’m in the mood for a single player game. BF2042 coming soon too. 

I really only bought the new machines as I had a bit of extra time, disposable income and FOMO, not many launch games I was interested in. Enjoying them both though. 

I really wanted a PS5 but the stock shortages (and slow release of games/exclusives) has put things into perspective for me.

The only exclusive I had a burning desire to play was Demon's Souls, which I have already rinsed on PS3 and PC (rpcs3) over the last decade.

I have a gaming capable PC, a Switch (and a Steamdeck on the way), do I really need anything else?

No. I skipped the PS3 and the PS4 because their libraries didn't live up to the same standards as the PS2.

A PS4 costs €300 here still (€400 for a Pro), and there aren't €300 worth of games for me to justify one of those, let alone a PS5.

The new Gran Turismo might sway me. Not sure though.

16 hours ago, Tonald Drump said:

@SqueakyG this is in stock at Argos at the moment

You posted this around 6:30am this morning. I woke up at 7:30am, checked all my PS5 bookmarks around 8am. The Argos page was different than usual... it didn't go to the "Sorry, PlayStation®5 is currently unavailable" screen! It went to the product screen! But still no luck... it said it wasn't available at any nearby branches, nor available for delivery to my postcode. Then a few refreshes later, it was gone.