E3 2021 - Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase - EXTENDED SHOW NOW LIVE

2 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

The thing that got me interested in was the believable aesthetic.  It had that look of plauisible, working sci-fi stuff.  Like in Alien, The Martian or Moon.  I can dig that and apply some cautious optimism to it.

Yeah, that was cool.

I just don't know what it is, though - I'm assuming first person action/adventure set in space, but will it all take place on one planet? Will you be able to fly from planet to planet, No Man's Sky-style? Will some of it be like a space aim?

I try to imagine Skyrim or Fallout in space, but unless you're just on one different world, I can't quite see how it would work. Maybe it'll be completely different from those games.

15 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

The thing that got me interested in was the believable aesthetic.  It had that look of plauisible, working sci-fi stuff.  Like in Alien, The Martian or Moon.  I can dig that and apply some cautious optimism to it.

Yep, I thought that too. Aesthetically it’s totally my cup of char.

One of the nice things about yesterday was actually having more games added to Game Pass, just like that they’re there available to play, so I spent a good couple of hours last night playing Yakuza Like A Dragon, which is great and looks much better than I was expecting it to. 

For me it’s all about Game Pass at the moment, there’s just so much quality and variety. The thought of having to carefully budget and choose my games - spending £70 a go - just seems quaint and old fashioned. 

22 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Ah, Console Wars. Grown adults, ladies and gentlemen.

I love that if you like or dislike anything you’re a fanboy. I enjoyed the Microsoft conference and am decidedly unimpressed by the PS5 so far so I’m obviously in love with Microsoft, despite having spent the last seven years unimpressed by Microsoft and enjoying my PS4, which obviously meant I was a big old Sony fanboy. 

1 minute ago, Broker said:

I love that if you like or dislike anything you’re a fanboy. I enjoyed the Microsoft conference and am decidedly unimpressed by the PS5 so far so I’m obviously in love with Microsoft, despite having spent the last seven years unimpressed by Microsoft and enjoying my PS4, which obviously meant I was a big old Sony fanboy. 

I think it’s, sadly, inevitable. Most people can probably only realistically invest in one or the other, both time wise and money, so we like to convince ourselves we’ve made the right choice which can often unintentionally turn into arguments about which is best. It’s infantile and embarrassing but I can see how it happens. 

28 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

If you've got any combination of PS5, Xbox Series, Switch and PC you're absolutely golden for gaming right now, couldn't ask for more.  It's crazy. 

You missed a Playdate.

9 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I just don't get lowering something to raise something else. It's idiotic.

Why can’t we all just agree that most things are shit?

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think it’s, sadly, inevitable. Most people can probably only realistically invest in one or the other, both time wise and money, so we like to convince ourselves we’ve made the right choice which can often unintentionally turn into arguments about which is best. It’s infantile and embarrassing but I can see how it happens. 

Yeah I see that, I’ve encountered a lot of weird behaviour but I try to remind myself that buying all the consoles isn’t the default position for a lot of people. My girlfriend still thinks it’s hilarious that I have consoles that seem to just annoy the hell out of me, but if they had one game I wanted then I’ll buy them. That’s always been my position, and so I’ve always ended up with all of them. I don’t think there’s a major console since the Dreamcast that I haven’t owned. 

What made me laugh loads was my kids response to the Xbox. They were quite young when my second 360 died and I got the PS3 so they don’t really remember me having an Xbox. For as much of their lives as they can remember we’ve had the PS3 then the PS4 as the main gaming devices in the house, and they both genuinely seemed to think I was some sort of PlayStation person, as opposed to someone who happened to mostly use a PlayStation out of circumstances. I guess also I hated our Xbone so that probably played a part in it. My older son has gone full “PC or it’s garbage” now as well, his only console gaming is on the Switch. 

Just now, moosegrinder said:

Decade old me would have agreed that yes, it'll be shit and you fucking know it but no, not really any more. Hating on shit consumes so much more energy than enjoying shit, so why would you go out of your way to focus on the bad shit you don't like, especially at the expense of someone else's enjoyment? Who had the time or energy?

You know me, I’ve always got the energy to explain why I think something is shit :lol:

I do honestly think that they’re equally valuable and interesting conversations though. You can learn and understand just as much from analysing why a bad thing is bad as you can from talking about why the good thing is good. Positive vibes only discussions like the ones in the easy Allies community just seem a bit boring and bland to me. 

11 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I just don't get lowering something to raise something else. It's idiotic.

the literal literal first reaction in here on page 11 to the first game announcement was to make reference to something about Sony PlayStation. As Princess Elsa may advise, just let it go!

1 minute ago, mikeyl said:

the literal literal first reaction in here on page 11 to the first game announcement was to make reference to something about Sony PlayStation. As Princess Elsa may advise, just let it go!

That's literally my point...

I was amazed after nearly every video it was saying ‘day one game pass’. There are a number of games that aren’t ones I’d usually

play but they are on GP. I can download one and try it out. If I don’t like it I can delete it and try one of the numerous other ones. 

Ive already completed lots of games I’d never have tried due to GP. The only thing I am disappointed in is I don’t have nearly enough time to try/play them all.

41 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

1st Party Narrative Single Players - Fair enough. It seems that Xbox is not really the place for them any longer. 

This is the crux of it. There are a very significant amount of gamers, both here and on Resetera, for whom story driven action adventure games are the be-all and end-all of gaming. It's probably not a coincidence that the demographics of both forums are on the older side too. It didn't matter what Microsoft showed off to that group of people today - unless they had showed off several of those kinds of games the conference would never have satisfied them.

If you want those games you are more than adequately catered for by the PS5. And the importance of them from a sales perspective has been completely overstated. Games like Horizon and God of War wound up at about 10 million sales. Very good for sure, but ultimately not why the PS4 has sold over 100 million units.

But it's the same reason why game of the year goes to a big budget narrative adventure pretty much every single year without exception. For supposed enthusiasts, a lot of people have an exceptionally narrow viewpoint when it comes to determining what a worthy game is. Which is why people moan about Sea of Thieves getting a glimpse of the spotlight when it's been an enormous hit on PC. It doesn't fit the sole mold of game they care about, success be damned.

10 minutes ago, Majora said:

This is the crux of it. There are a very significant amount of gamers, both here and on Resetera, for whom story driven action adventure games are the be-all and end-all of gaming. It's probably not a coincidence that the demographics of both forums are on the older side too. It didn't matter what Microsoft showed off to that group of people today - unless they had showed off several of those kinds of games the conference would never have satisfied them.

If you want those games you are more than adequately catered for by the PS5.

If you want those kind of games you are also more than adequately catered for by the Xbox. I've spent most of this year playing Yakuza and Assassin's Creed - just because they are third-party games doesn't invalidate them in any way. Sony have built their reputation in this genre but ultimately it only adds up to a handful of games across each console generation, and there are plenty of alternatives.

Just now, Kryptonian said:

I’d assume running at 1440p as it was designed to.

It’s odd that people still claim not to ‘get’ the Series S, even though all the games shown at this presentation run on it. 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

It’s odd that people still claim not to ‘get’ the Series S, even though all the games shown at this presentation run on it. 

It's not odd, it's just an easy way of spotting people trying to find a take or an angle.

8 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Is it? I don't think it's the same one is it?

It’s edited footage of the initial campaign game play reveal from last year - yesterday we got a multiplayer trailer and some campaign cutscenes, plus that ariel fly over (of Zeta Halo) right at the start (which looked pretty nice tbh).

I must finish Crackdown 3 before I download Yazuka LAD, I must finish Crackdown 3 before I download Yazuka LAD, I must finish Crackdown 3 before I download Yazuka LAD, I must finish Crackdown 3 before I download Yazuka LAD...

Failed.

Game Pass is amazing. But bloody hell it makes finishing things much harder when there's so much on offer.

I suppose I should be miffed I paid a fair amount for Yakuza LAD and I've not finished it yet, but I'm just happy for you all that you can play it too now. It's amazing (it's just big! needed a breather)