E3 2021 - Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase - EXTENDED SHOW NOW LIVE

No. And on quick googling to see, it looks like the Last Night guy has only popped up on Twitter this week after a long time silent to passive aggressively be a little annoyed Replaced doesn't thank him for inspiring them.

10 hours ago, Stanley said:

Nice breakdown and analysis from DF.

They actually spend some time being concerned about Halo will look at 120fps on Series S - because yes, those people who buy a Series S to run on their non-4k TV will want to (or even be able to) play it at 120fps. Is there even such a TV in the world - that's not 4k but does do 120fps?

32 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

No. And on quick googling to see, it looks like the Last Night guy has only popped up on Twitter this week after a long time silent to passive aggressively be a little annoyed Replaced doesn't thank him for inspiring them.

They do look rather similar. I’d quite like to play the last night still or at least see if it becomes worth playing.

25 minutes ago, rgraves said:

They actually spend some time being concerned about Halo will look at 120fps on Series S - because yes, those people who buy a Series S to run on their non-4k TV will want to (or even be able to) play it at 120fps. Is there even such a TV in the world - that's not 4k but does do 120fps?

Yeah it’s possible people who have bought a Series S might have a TV capable of 120fps however unlikely that might sound. I thought their Halo coverage was pretty good overall, but one thing they did point out is there was no indication of what anything we saw was running on, it’s quite possible that even at this late stage in development with release just months away that we still haven’t seen the game running on console, which is kind of odd. 

11 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah it’s possible people who have bought a Series S might have a TV capable of 120fps however unlikely that might sound.

But did anyone really buy a Series S with the intention of playing at 120fps? That just seems like a total mis-match. The S is not aimed at people wanting 120fps, so hand-wringing over what Halo might look like (it might drop to 800p oh noes) trying to support that feels really odd. I dunno, it just feels like DF wants to make an issue of the Series S somehow, and they are deliberately ignoring the main target market (who are most likely not really the DF audience) to do that. Anyone who evens knows what stuff like VRR is, is not who MS are aiming the Series S at (as a primary machine anyway).

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think you’re making a much bigger issue out of it than they were tbh. 

Probably. I reserve the right to brood on this and come back to it if they do though. Deal? ;)

6 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Probably. I reserve the right to brood on this and come back to it if they do though. Deal? ;)

I’ve just watched that bit again but they weren’t being critical and at the end of the day tech analysis is their remit, it’s what they do, so of course they’ll speculate the variances in resolution, frame rate etc. on different systems, especially because 120fps is a feature that’s been announced, for the multiplayer at least, and it isn’t the first game to offer it on Series S as they point out, Dirt 5 did it too but the resolution dropped to 600p at times. 

I think a bigger issue and something they didn’t really touch on was how the game will look and perform on base Xbox One, something MS has been extremely coy about. 

I have an S and I’m minor annoyed that there isn’t a toggle for 1080p 120fps on Destiny. I have to switch to the PS5 if I have to do any PvP. 

I didn’t buy the S over the X as a budget option, it was bought for aesthetics so having feature parity with X is welcome if not expected.

Yeah and it looks beautiful at 1080/60. I dunno if I could take a resolution lower than that for 120fps but I need some sort of excuse so can’t blame my potato aiming or terrible guns if I die.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

I have monitors that will do 1080p/120fps. The one I'm currently writing this post on might even do it over HDMI at 1080p/1440p (it might not - standards are a bit weird).

Sorry if it has already been mentioned, but there is an extended showcase tomorrow at 6pm BST. Apparently more information on some of the games shown from 343 etc as well as a feature on Hellblade II

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

Sorry if it has already been mentioned, but there is an extended showcase tomorrow at 6pm BST. Apparently more information on some of the games shown from 343 etc as well as a feature on Hellblade II

That’s cool, have they mentioned which games? 

18 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Quite a lot of tvs that technically support 120hz will only do 120fps in 1080p. 

Is that those TVs that do the motion scaling thing to 120hz or 240hz,etc? I didn't realize they'd also take a 120 FPS signal.

7 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Is that those TVs that do the motion scaling thing to 120hz or 240hz,etc? I didn't realize they'd also take a 120 FPS signal.

My 2015 Sony 4K LCD would do a proper 1080p120.

14 minutes ago, TehStu said:

It's been around for a wee while in higher end tvs, but not really advertised because nothing could take advantage of it in the se way as 4k/her etc. IIrc it's only tvs with the newest hdmi standard which can do anything higher res at 120.

That said, my TV can't do it because it's a cheapo Philips.

28 minutes ago, Stanley said:

That’s cool, have they mentioned which games? 

This seems to be the only information:

This special showcase, hosted by Gamertag Radio's, Parris Lilly, will feature behind the scenes details and up close and personal conversations with developers to dive deeper into their recent announcements. You'll hear from 343 Industries, World’s Edge, Playground Games, Ninja Theory, Double Fine, our talented partners from around the world, and more.

7 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I'm pretty sure 1080p 120 fps is part of the HDMI 2.0 spec. So if your TV has that, it can do it.

Intrigued, I went looking up the specs for my TCL 55R615. It does HDMI 2.0a and while it does imply 120hz, when you dig into the details it's some bullshit motion smoothing, and the panel itself only refreshes at 60hz.

All good, I was just mildly curious :)

10 hours ago, rgraves said:

Not a TV but I use my Series S on this:

https://www.benq.eu/en-uk/monitor/gaming/ex2780q.html

it does 1440p 120hz.

I quite enjoyed lawnmower simulator. It’s literally mow a lawn but 20 minutes passed and what do you know, I felt chilled.

However there’s a flickering effect on the grass which I found quite nauseating.  

Yeah he's a bit enthusiastic for a forum full of old farts but its nice to see some positivity without a massive BUT..... at the end such is the rllmuk posting style. Sometimes we need reminded that computer games are really for kids and we should be discussing what we are driving on and off the golf course.