IGNORED

E3 2021 | Nintendo | June 15th - 17:00 BST

Robo_1

33 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The Switch outsold the PS4 in Japan so no surprises it’s also beating the PS5. 

That's easy to say with hindsight, but how many people watched the Switch reveal and genuinely thought it was going to go on to where it is now? Anyone saying it was going to outsell the PS4 in the early days would have been given a curious stare.....

30 minutes ago, rgraves said:

That's easy to say with hindsight, but how many people watched the Switch reveal and genuinely thought it was going to go on to where it is now? Anyone saying it was going to outsell the PS4 in the early days would have been given a curious stare.....

In Japan home console sales had been falling for a long time before the Switch even came along whereas Nintendo’s line of handhelds continued to do well, so whilst not exactly a forgone conclusion it was certainly headed that way. 

Obviously worldwide it’s a different picture, but I can see the Switch easily outselling the PS4 and PS5 combined, and I don’t think anyone would have expected that, you’re quite correct. 

I've got a horrible feeling that Nintendo are *exactly* the kind of company to feel the pinch of the pandemic and this year's E3 is going to be spectacularly disappointing. PROVE ME WRONG NINTENDO. 

6 hours ago, Jolly said:

I've got a horrible feeling that Nintendo are *exactly* the kind of company to feel the pinch of the pandemic and this year's E3 is going to be spectacularly disappointing. PROVE ME WRONG NINTENDO. 

That's been often mentioned here and there. That even compared to other Japanese companies, Nintendo was ill-equipped to shift to a work from home approach. Presumably we'll now see a hint of whether there's any truth to that.

11 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's been often mentioned here and there. That even compared to other Japanese companies, Nintendo was ill-equipped to shift to a work from home approach. Presumably we'll now see a hint of whether there's any truth to that.

Even if they had issues to start with they’ve had plenty of time to sort it out. It would be lame if they were still using it as an excuse. 

28 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Even if they had issues to start with they’ve had plenty of time to sort it out. It would be lame if they were still using it as an excuse. 

I don't think they themselves ever used that as an excuse out loud. It's a theory that's been often heard.

I know it's been a pandemic yada yada but for the first six months of this year all they've had is a Skyward Sword remaster and Mario Golf. Also I think that game maker thing is coming out soon? They're decent little schedule fillers, they're not the type of games you build a six month schedule around.

I agree with whoever said they need to stimulate some excitement around Switch again because there's been very little to get excited about for a while now. And it was the worst selling console in the UK in May against two consoles which are severely supply constrained so in terms of demand it's actually at the bottom of the pile now. Not too surprising, I guess, for a 4 year old console against two brand new machines, and clearly Switch has already done far better than nearly anyone expected, but if they want to keep the Switch going for several more years they need to ignite some excitement again because it's starting to fade into the background a bit.

12 hours ago, Majora said:

I know it's been a pandemic yada yada but for the first six months of this year all they've had is a Skyward Sword remaster and Mario Golf. Also I think that game maker thing is coming out soon? They're decent little schedule fillers, they're not the type of games you build a six month schedule around.

I agree with whoever said they need to stimulate some excitement around Switch again because there's been very little to get excited about for a while now. And it was the worst selling console in the UK in May against two consoles which are severely supply constrained so in terms of demand it's actually at the bottom of the pile now. Not too surprising, I guess, for a 4 year old console against two brand new machines, and clearly Switch has already done far better than nearly anyone expected, but if they want to keep the Switch going for several more years they need to ignite some excitement again because it's starting to fade into the background a bit.

Skyward Sword isn’t actually due out in the first six months, its release date is in July, but apart from that they’ve had Mario 3D World & Bowser’s Fury, Pokemon Snap, Monster Hunter Rise, Miitopia and Game Maker Garage is due this month in addition to Mario Golf, so it’s not as if they’ve had nothing. We also know new Pokemon games are due later this year but if we’ve learnt anything from Nintendo it’s that they announce then release, so I’d expect a few more games between now and then. 

Switch was actually the best selling hardware overall for the first quarter of this year, so I’m not sure Mays UK sales are indicative of a slip in performance, I’d expect it to continue selling well throughout 2021 and beyond. 

On 10/06/2021 at 09:12, Stanley said:

Switch was actually the best selling hardware overall for the first quarter of this year, so I’m not sure Mays UK sales are indicative of a slip in performance, I’d expect it to continue selling well throughout 2021 and beyond. 

It's always funny when people try to use a slip in sales to justify their own problems with a specific platform. Like, yes, Switch was down by 11% YoY in the UK compared to 2020. Meanwhile, here's Japan thus far in 2021:

W22/2021   W22/2020   W21/2021    YTD 2021    YTD 2020   LTD

NSW # |      97.208  |       71.148  |       68.192 |   2.775.112 | 2.439.468 | 20.115.486

12 minutes ago, meatbin said:

I made the mistake of getting my 7 year old daughter on the BOTW 2 hype train, and she's now excited about tomorrow's presentation.

Terrible parenting, she's going to be so disappointed...

(Right?) 

Why? They surely will be showing BOTW2.

Just a high resolution upgrade of Uprising would do. It basically had a twin stick setup built-in, albeit transplanted to the touchscreen. A Samus Returns-style remake of Of Myths and Monsters would be very welcome as well.

But who am I kidding? 🤷‍♂️