IGNORED

E3 2021 | Nintendo | June 15th - 17:00 BST

Robo_1

That was so good, I am so pumped for Monkey Ball. That game brings back so many good memories and I can't wait to play it with my kids. Good to see Sega finally realising they've never recaptured that magic with the new versions and giving us the originals with a shiny lick of paint. 

I was excited about Wario going in but after seeing it not so much not sure why but didn't grab me. I'm sure it'll be ace and I'll get it though.

The rest of it was cool, really liked the direction of the brief BOTW2 trailer and that 2D Metroid looked pretty cool too. 

Good work Uncle Nintendo. 

3 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I’m really intrigued by the portal thing in BOTW2. Does this let you walk upside down on the sky islands.

Looked like a way of travelling to the islands to me, like a reverse water droplet kind of thing. 

13 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Yeah I don't get what all the gushing is about in here. Metroid looks quite nice. Zelda was a pointless showing as it showed almost nothing (mechanic where you go through the floor was pretty much all I got from it). Aiming for 2022 lol. Nailed on 2023 then. Advance Wars looked quite nice I suppose. Not the worst Direct ever but a bit meh. 

Brand new WarioWare, the good Super Moneky Balls, a new Metroid, the return of a much-loved and long-assumed dead franchise in Advance Wars and somethinganything of BotW2 all adds up to an S-tier Direct. Feel good curios like Fatal Frame getting more shine, and a good look at Shin Megami Tensei V can only help. Plus the Zelda Game & Watch 😎 They shagged us silly and beautifully.

More people should be talking about SMT:V looking great. Because SMT:V looked great. I was a little worried after the Nocturne remaster was so barebones (and, in the Switch's case, unoptimised), but the trailer (and later Treehouse showing) of SMT:V put those fears to rest.

And not just because of the protagonist's fabulous hair.

I’m probably just dead inside, but that show did nothing for me, and BoTW2 being up to 2 years away has royally bummed me out.

Mind you, bar how pretty the scenery is in FH5, and a cinematic of Plague Tale 2, the Xbox show did nothing for me either.

In fact, the only thing across E3 so far that actually got me genuinely excited was the Elden Ring trailer and the Miyazaki interview on IGN.

Anyway, this jaded old fart will stop derailing the thread. As you were peeps.

46 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Danganronpa, Life is Strange, Mario Party Superstars, Skyward Sword HD, Zelda Game & Watch...

Remember when people used to look forwards to new stuff at E3?

Yeah I have that feeling myself if I’m being honest, suddenly everyone wants to play Mario Party, I didn’t realise it had so many fans around here. 

Don’t get me wrong I’m excited for a brand new entry in the 2D Metroid saga, and I’ll lap up new content for Age of Calamity but it was lacking imo, I’m genuinely surprised everyone here seems to believe it was amazing, or saved E3. 

I mean we’ve waited how long for Advance Wars and we get remaster of the first 2, just give me the perfect originals as part of my online subscription which is becoming increasingly irrelevant, with next to no new content and certainly nothing compelling. 

I don’t want to dump on peoples excitement but BOTW2, that too still looks 18 months to two years away and they showed us a paltry amount after announcing it two years ago. 

Game & Watch is bizarre, at least put A Link To The Past on it. 

8 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I’m probably just dead inside, but that show did nothing for me, and BoTW2 being up to 2 years away has royally bummed me out.

Mind you, bar how pretty the scenery is in FH5, and a cinematic of Plague Tale 2, the Xbox show did nothing for me either.

In fact, the only thing across E3 so far that actually got me genuinely excited was the Elden Ring trailer and the Miyazaki interview on IGN.

Anyway, jaded old fart will stop detailing the thread. As you were peeps.

If it’s 2022 it would be 18 months tops. 

Though inevitably delayed.

Just now, wretcherd said:

That Warioware trailer, I was suddenly so conscious that it was some bloke talking. Much better as occasional soundbites.

Now I see why Illumination aren't putting him in the Mario film.

I thought the same. It was a weird feeling. He is fine for the games but I couldn't see him working well for a movie.

1 minute ago, Darhkwing said:

Wouldn't be much fun using 2 buttons.

True I didn’t think of that, oh well. It’s a nice little curio for collectors I suppose but something that I’d actually use, not so much. 

A big reason a lot of the remakes excite people is that they're from series that wound up losing their way a bit and are going back to earlier incarnations to re-establish themselves. Monkey Ball is the big one here, as that series really went in the wrong direction but Banana Mania is exactly what that series should do. Pulling content from what many consider the best entries to create a best of version.

Mario Party is another one. Super Mario Party was a step in the right direction but it had some big drawbacks. 1) Small scale boards & 2) no way to play in portable mode becuase the game locked you to one joy-con only. This new one fixes the latter and comes up with the older N64 boards, which were a lot bigger in size.

Advance Wars as well. Days of Ruin isn't a bad game or anything, but it removed the sunny look the series was known for in the west to go for a more darker anime approach and it flopped HARD. This obviously goes back to the original style with a more toy soldiers esque look.

Seeing them go back to older entries to try and find what made people love those in the first place seems like a pretty solid plan from where I'm sitting.

With Monkey Ball, I just hope they don't screw up the physics again. Monkey Ball 1 and 2 had very distinct physics and controls, and then the next game - the compilation thing - instead tweaked them and everything felt really wrong. Things like the acceleration you could get when moving backwards was changed completely.

I played so much Monkey Ball. Those first ten levels were magnificent.

6 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

A big reason a lot of the remakes excite people isthat they're from series that wound up losing their way a bit and are going back to earlier incarnations to re-establish themselves. Monkey Ball is the big one here, as that series really went in the wrong direction but Banana Mania is exactly what that series should do. Pulling content from what many consider the best entries to create a best of version.

Mario Party is another one. Super Mario Party was a step in the right direction but it had some big drawbacks. 1) Small scale boards & 2) no way to play in portable mode becuase the game locked you to one joy-con only. This new one fixes the latter and comes up with the older N64 boards, which were a lot bigger in size.

Advance Wars as well. Days of Ruin isn't a bad game or anything, but it removed the sunny look the series was known for in the west to go for a more darker anime approach and it flopped HARD. This obviously goes back to the original style with a more toy soldiers esque look.

So seeing them go back to older entries to try and find what made people love those in the first place seems like a pretty solid plan from where I'm sitting.

I think for both Advance Wars & Monkey Ball it might just be time to accept those series have had their day; they had both reached perfection on their first couple of outings. 

Super Mario Party has sold phenomenally well though, I think all it needed was more content as it’s pretty bare bones. 

I think we’ve reached a stage now though where selling people old games or remasters is becoming increasingly difficult to accept in the age of Game Pass and enhanced backwards compatibility across generations. I just have no desire for them unless they really go to town like Demon’s Souls, and in Advance Wars case they’ve made it look worse than the originals, there was nothing wrong with that old style. 

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think for both Advance Wars & Monkey Ball it might just be time to accept those series have had their day; they had both reached perfection on their first couple of outings. 

Can't speak about your desire to buy them, but speak for yourself about accepting those series need to rest. Plenty of people want those series to continue and go back to what made them good. 

I kinda liked this one really. I’ll never be a massive Nintendo fan (despite owning most of their machines at one time or another!), but there was a nice enough variety of games here.

BotW2 looks wonderful though, and should there actually be a Switch 4k release one day then I’ll be there day one to play this and the first one.

Just now, HarMGM said:

Can't speak about your desire to buy them, but speak for yourself about accepting those series need to rest. Plenty of people want those series to continue and go back to what made them good. 

I will buy Advance Wars, of course I will, because it’s the only legitimate way I can play the first two unsurpassed games on modern Switch hardware, but I’m not happy about it. I’d rather they just let me have the originals. 

And clearly in the case of Mario Party they are just going for a cash grab too, as I said SMP is one of the best sellers on Switch, give us a proper sequel or some DLC. But there’s no argument there for going back to the originals to make people like them again, people already do. 

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

Brand new WarioWare, the good Super Moneky Balls, a new Metroid, the return of a much-loved and long-assumed dead franchise in Advance Wars and somethinganything of BotW2 all adds up to an S-tier Direct. Feel good curios like Fatal Frame getting more shine, and a good look at Shin Megami Tensei V can only help. Plus the Zelda Game & Watch 😎 They shagged us silly and beautifully.

yeah but no f zero and the metroid isn't even 3d even though it teases it will be. 

i don't actually expect a new f zero, i just use one of my 10 posts every 3 years in discussion to bring it up. 

At this point there's more chance of me learning blender and unity and making my own.  

34 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I’m sitting here deciding which game I want to ask for for my birthday, which one for Christmas, which one I can bear to put off until the new year… :lol: what a show!

Easy one for me, my birthday is 2 days after Metroid, and Advance Wars is a Christmas title, other half has already been handed the list 😛

First time in years that I've actually wanted a specific thing for Birthday / Christmas, actually excited for both of those events now :)

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

And clearly in the case of Mario Party they are just going for a cash grab too, as I said SMP is one of the best sellers on Switch, give us a proper sequel or some DLC. But there’s no argument there for going back to the originals to make people like them again, people already do. 

Meh on the cash grab part. The first one is still selling at a good pace. In order for a second Switch game to do good, it needs to differentiate itself from Super. Using older fan favourite content alongside features people have been asking for can accomplish that. Besides, despite SMP selling well, it had a mixed reception from the fanbase. Lacking in content was one problem, sure. But the overal size of the boards, ingame economy were a few others. This looks like a step up in that regard.

I think the problem with Nintendo’s E3 is that expectations are always so absurdly high that they’ll never live up to it.

There wasn’t a great deal in there for me but enough that I’ll inevitably pick up (Metroid Dread being the highlight but even that wasn’t hugely exciting, most likely as I’m actually playing samus returns on 3DS currently).

I was hoping to see Prime 4, Bayonetta and a new Mario game. Mario Party doesn’t count.

Absurdly I half expected them to still mention a switch pro, especially at the start when they were talking about the system giving players loads of choices etc. I was ready for them to say “and now there’s another way!”

1 minute ago, HarMGM said:

Meh on the cash grab part. The first one is still selling at a good pace. In order for a second Switch game to do good, it needs to differentiate itself from Super. Using older fan favourite content alongside features people have been asking for can accomplish that. Besides, despite SMP selling well, it had a mixed reception from the fanbase. Lacking in content was one problem, sure. But the overal size of the boards, ingame economy were a few others. This looks like a step up in that regard.

I think part of the problem, from my point of view anyway, is that I will just buy these regardless, because I know they will be produced to a high standard and I know already they are enjoyable. They know their audience and we are the problem. 

But stuff I’m genuinely excited about from that show; BOTW2 looks incredible and totally mind blowing, Metroid, SMTV and Age of Calamity DLC - that looks brilliant btw but then I love the game it’s really underrated. It’s not a lot really when you consider Zelda is still miles off.