Jump to content
IGNORED

E3 2021 | Nintendo | June 15th - 17:00 BST


Robo_1
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

More people should be talking about SMT:V looking great. Because SMT:V looked great. I was a little worried after the Nocturne remaster was so barebones (and, in the Switch's case, unoptimised), but the trailer (and later Treehouse showing) of SMT:V put those fears to rest.

 

And not just because of the protagonist's fabulous hair.

Agreed. This was by far the most exciting thing in the Direct for me. Looks absolutely fantastic.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Marlew said:

 

Cunts don't know but this is the actual GOAT announcement. 

 

Mushihimesama, Espgaluda 2, Dodonpachi Resurrection are unfathomable releases.

 

Get yourself on the paedophile register and download Mushi now. 

Already done 🥰

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jesus! I was working late so his from the internet. Just watched it now. 
 

That’s the best E3 in such a long time. Just amazing. 
 

That’s just so much stuff in the next 6 months. 
 

Advance Wars, Super Monkey Ball, Warioware, Metroid, G&W, All S tier. So so fucking good. 
 

then golf, SMTV, and so many smaller things I wanted. 
 

honestly best E3 in years. Amazing. I thought Nintendo has shat the bed with COVID, but I was bang out of order. 
 

I love them so much. The stupid happiness of it all. :wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

More people should be talking about SMT:V looking great. Because SMT:V looked great. I was a little worried after the Nocturne remaster was so barebones (and, in the Switch's case, unoptimised), but the trailer (and later Treehouse showing) of SMT:V put those fears to rest.

 

And not just because of the protagonist's fabulous hair.

 

I would but I had absolutely no fuckin clue what was going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm surprised by the reaction in here. I thought it was pretty underwhelming, and bloated with filler.

 

I get that they wanted to focus on the near future, but we don't need five mins of Mario Golf info in an E3 Direct with the game coming out in two weeks. Likewise with 10 whole mins dedicated to a Smash Fighter. Again, I get that you have fans who want every single move shown off, but it's not for your wider audience. It's got its own video coming anyway!

 

Obviously it was saved by the Metroid and Advance Wars announcements, though for me, they did both look a little bland. Can't put my finger on it (though in AWs' case it's probably just them sticking so hard to the GBA visuals) but they just seemed a bit short on details. Metroid, for example, didn't seem to have much character going on in its levels, just a sort of array of different platforms. I like the concept of the thing chasing you, and it's good it's out so soon, though.

 

AW I'm torn over, as I really liked the first two games and it's nice that they've gone back to it but.. it's the first two games. I've played them before, and I don't really think the very conservative and safe visual upgrade is going to differentiate it that much. The cynic in my also just reinforces the belief that Nintendo are so incredibly stingy with sticking their old stuff in the VC for reasons like this, so they tap the mine when the well runs dry (to mix some metaphors). 

 

BOTW2 was a given and not an unknown, so wasn't particularly surprising. It's also two years on from the initial reveal and we still haven't seen that much. What we got shown was arguably the bare minimum we expected, though it predictably looks nice enough. Not sure it'll make that release date, mind. 

 

Then there was a lot of guff about niche games (a lot of which are from elsewhere and just a case of "now on the Switch too").

 

I just thought it was meh. It's their biggest Direct of the year and I just think so much time in the video was underwhelming.

 

Again, I get that their focus is always stuff out in that calendar year, and there's always an immediacy to these Directs that Sony and MS don't have (instead showing big titles earlier but with release dates in the distant future). It's good that we can look at these games and know we'll be playing most of them in less than six months' time. 

 

I dunno, just found it all a little frustrating and disappointing. Glad others have not had this reaction and are so happy with it, mind. And it's definitely not going to mean a shortage of things for me to play, given there are loads of older titles I've yet to buy and,for all my moaning, I probably will pick up Metroid and maybe AW. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Parksey said:

I'm surprised by the reaction in here. I thought it was pretty underwhelming, and bloated with filler.

 

I get that they wanted to focus on the near future, but we don't need five mins of Mario Golf info in an E3 Direct with the game coming out in two weeks. Likewise with 10 whole mins dedicated to a Smash Fighter. Again, I get that you have fans who want every single move shown off, but it's not for your wider audience. It's got its own video coming anyway!

 

Obviously it was saved by the Metroid and Advance Wars announcements, though for me, they did both look a little bland. Can't put my finger on it (though in AWs' case it's probably just them sticking so hard to the GBA visuals) but they just seemed a bit short on details. Metroid, for example, didn't seem to have much character going on in its levels, just a sort of array of different platforms. I like the concept of the thing chasing you, and it's good it's out so soon, though.

 

AW I'm torn over, as I really liked the first two games and it's nice that they've gone back to it but.. it's the first two games. I've played them before, and I don't really think the very conservative and safe visual upgrade is going to differentiate it that much. The cynic in my also just reinforces the belief that Nintendo are so incredibly stingy with sticking their old stuff in the VC for reasons like this, so they tap the mine when the well runs dry (to mix some metaphors). 

 

BOTW2 was a given and not an unknown, so wasn't particularly surprising. It's also two years on from the initial reveal and we still haven't seen that much. What we got shown was arguably the bare minimum we expected, though it predictably looks nice enough. Not sure it'll make that release date, mind. 

 

Then there was a lot of guff about niche games (a lot of which are from elsewhere and just a case of "now on the Switch too").

 

I just thought it was meh. It's their biggest Direct of the year and I just think so much time in the video was underwhelming.

 

Again, I get that their focus is always stuff out in that calendar year, and there's always an immediacy to these Directs that Sony and MS don't have (instead showing big titles earlier but with release dates in the distant future). It's good that we can look at these games and know we'll be playing most of them in less than six months' time. 

 

I dunno, just found it all a little frustrating and disappointing. Glad others have not had this reaction and are so happy with it, mind. And it's definitely not going to mean a shortage of things for me to play, given there are loads of older titles I've yet to buy and,for all my moaning, I probably will pick up Metroid and maybe AW. 

 

Great avatar-post combo :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, joffocakes said:

 

I would but I had absolutely no fuckin clue what was going on.

 

:lol:

 

I guess SMT is a tricky one to introduce via a few minutes of video; it figures that having had all the series veterans grumble about the trailer and video explaining things we all already understand/expect, for anyone who hasn't played other games in the series it was still inpenetrable. Whoever has the job of marketing it has their job cut out for them!

 

The short version of the series is: it's Pokemon, albeit a lot grungier, weirder, and with a rock-paper-scissors system more based on skill-matchups than creature-type matchups. Also the series predates Pokemon, so really it's the other way around. In fact, SMT has been letting you talk to the monsters demons since 1992,* so maybe that's where the infamous Edge Doom reviewer was coming from ;)

 

Traditionally dungeon crawlers, this one looks to be taking a bit more of a modern semi-open JRPG approach to its structure, but the basic beats remain: you're in a realm infested with demons, and your primary method of survival comes through recruiting demons (via weird, semi-random conversations which rely on you identifying the 'mood' of a demon and how best to please it) to fill up your party. Generally the plot is relatively minimal by JRPG standards, but branching depending on what sides you take: most SMT games have at least three 'routes', often styled as Law/Heaven, Chaos/Demon and Neutral; it seems likely SMT:V will continue this approach.

 

In terms of gameplay, the demons you recruit can furthermore be fused together to create new, more powerful demons, with limited inheritance of abilities when doing so. Combat, meanwhile, is turn-based, and different demon types have different skillsets and abilities; so you may have certain demons focussed on specific elements of magic; others focussed on physical attacks; buffers and healers etc. Most strategy orients around building a complementary party of demons; most tactics orient around identifying what types of attacks your enemies are weak and strong against and acting accordingly.

 

Difficulty in the modern games tends to be... well, high for a JRPG, average-to-low for a dungeon crawler. Whether that holds true for this game remains to be seen, but the Treehouse video did end with the party getting wiped by attempting a boss far too early, so it suggests this won't have become a cakewalk.

 

Absolutely none of this will help you get a feel for the game, but hopefully it'll make parsing the trailer a bit easier!

 

 

* technically, the original short-lived Megami Tensei series, of which Shin Megami Tensei is itself a spinoff, had a basic version of this feature way back in its very first entry in 1987!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

 

Great avatar-post combo :)

 

I'm normally quite positive about these things and rally against fans not having their own specific, wild expectations met.

 

I guess I got caught up in the hype and "insider" stuff, but it just left me a bit cold. I wasn't expecting the moon on the stick (that's probably coming 2023 so way too soon) but I just thought there was a lot of fluff. 

 

It was more the limited time not being used effectively than anything else. Though I have some quibbles with Metroid's slightly bland visuals, AW being a remake and Wario Ware being Wario Ware and something I'm not interested in, at least that's new stuff using the Direct time wisely.

 

I don't think 10 mins for a Smash fighter and all their bloody moves (about 20% of the total video time!), yet another promo for Mario Golf which is out in a week of two or announcements that years-old games like Life is Strange are great use of the time, given Directs are now so limited. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the reason I enjoyed this Direct so much is because it felt like it catered more to the older fans of Nintendo handhelds. Advance Wars, 2D Metroid and WarioWare are all more 'portable' Nintendo franchises that seem to have vanished in recent years since the Switch became their all-in-one console. It felt like I was in the early 2000's again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm happy that Project Zero / Fatal Frame has not been forgotten, and that it is coming to all formats. I never played Maiden of Black Water but the Wii remake of 2 was fantastic. 

 

It's a survival horror that slips under a lot of radars, maybe due to the overt Japanese-ness, but the titles provide some of the most genuinely frightening experiences in gaming this side of PT. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I would like them to release another Wario platformer instead of Wario Ware, which I’ve personally never got on with. 

 

whynotboth.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Marlew said:

Mushihimesama now. 

Espgaluda 2 summer. 

Dodonpachi Resurrection winter. 

 

Can't remember anything else. 

 

GOAT Direct

 

 

 

In case anyone is having the issue I did - Mushihimesama does not (as of this morning) appear if you search for it on the uk eshop via a web browser..

e.g.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Search/Search-299117.html?q=Mushihimesama&f=147393

 

HOWEVER..

If you go into the eshop on your Switch and search for it, it will be there.. it's about £15..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought this was incredibly bad.

 

I joked with my son that they would probably spend half of it on Super Smash. The hype just drained out of us during that first 10 minutes. We played this game to death on Wii U in 2014. Seven years ago.

 

Sure there were some niche games that will get some people excited, but there was absolutely nothing fresh or really new. 

 

Metroid, nothing like it for 19 years!!!! (Except for the almost identical looking one we released a couple of years ago).

 

Breath of the Wild 1.5 will be great in 18 months time.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As there’s no Super Monkey Ball re-release thread yet, I shall lament in here that there’s no way Sega has done the perfect thing - which is to make the original Monkey Target optionally have the second game’s split-screen mode. Has always seemed like a no-brainer for a new game to me. Sigh.

 

I’m obviously still buying it and will play the original MT for hours and hours as before. No online play, presumably, though. Also sigh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

As there’s no Super Monkey Ball re-release thread yet, I shall lament in here that there’s no way Sega has done the perfect thing - which is to make the original Monkey Target optionally have the second game’s split-screen mode. Has always seemed like a no-brainer for a new game to me. Sigh.

 

I’m obviously still buying it and will play the original MT for hours and hours as before. No online play, presumably, though. Also sigh.

:quote:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone is entitled to be disappointed by things of course, but sometimes on here I can't understand what people's expectations are really, taking into context the last 18 months which people seem determined to ignore.

 

My expectations were really low because rumours were Nintendo were stuggling with the pandemic situation and they were completely surpassed.

 

I joked beforehand that I'd like to see Advance Wars as a complete pie in the sky thing and I'm getting it this year.

 

Warioware looks awesome.

 

BOTW2 is a way off but looks phenomenal, exactly what we would want from a sequel.

 

Mario Golf, Monster Hunter Stories and SMT:5 were already on my pre order list anyway but both are looking good.

 

I'd been holding out for Danganronpa, Life is Strange, and Fatal Frame on Switch so I'm pleased with those.

 

I'm not really into 2D Metroids but a new one seems like a pretty big deal.

 

Mario and Rabbids we had already seen but it is a must buy.

 

Oh and Super Monkey Ball.

 

So yeah. What were people expecting? Switch Pro (lol)? Some killer new IP? F-Zero (lol)?

 

Only thing missing for me was a big Animal Crossing announcement but I think they are building up to announcing some big paid expansion for that now.

 

Nintendo are and always have been about finding the sweet spot between innovation and nostalgia and this presentation felt in keeping with that.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Warioware looks awesome.

 

Is it just me who thinks that this character-based 2D shooty/platformy thing to solve the minigames looks way, way worse than the old Wario Ware games? I was excited until I saw how it played in the trailer. I hope I'm wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe? I dunno. I think what aggravates me a little in these threads is the sort of "I have concerns" hand-wringing that goes on based on assumptions from a 2 minute trailer. We will see very shortly when it is released and if it isn't quite what we wanted then fine, there are many other games to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't like Smash Bros, I don't own Smash Bros, I have no interest in Smash Bros - but it's sold MILLIONS and is loved so I can totally see why they give it some time in these things. It would be weirder for me for them to ignore all the people that have that game. Asking them to not give 5 mins to a franchise of that size is just willfully ignoring the audience that it has. I'm actually really surprised we didn't see anything on Animal Crossing for exactly the same reason.

 

As for people saying Zelda looks like 'more of the same' or 'Zelda 1.5' - GOOD. It was an outstanding game, I want more stuff like that. Gimme gimme. Why would anyone not want more Zelda (unless you didn't like the last one, in which case I suggest nothing they could do would help so I'm happy for them to ignore you and just carry on delivering for the rest of us).

 

Nintendo are damed if they do - 'Zelda is the same' - and damned if they don't - 'where's F-Zero I want more F-Zero'. Tough crowd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bradigor said:

Just watched this morning as my sight was horrid yesterday. Lots of good stuff and I think they catered for almost everyone. Not a home run of a direct, but very, very solid.

 

Yeah that'd be my take on it too. They needed to show gameplay of Bayonetta 3 or Prime 4, or a completely new reveal for the home run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.