Time - Sean Bean and Stephen Graham prison drama

Timmo

13 minutes ago, tobert said:

Watched the first episode last night and thought it was brilliant. Both leads were outstanding and the sense of foreboding in the prison was palatable

Mmm… foreboding.

homerdrool.jpg

Anyone watched this? Three parter by Jimmy McGovern. 

I'll always say Stephen Graham is never bad in anything, and this is no different. Sean Bean is brilliant as well. 

It's not the cheeriest of things but we'll worth a watch. 

It was slightly odd watching it because there were loads of places I recognised. Not least Walton nick... 

The scene with the

Spoiler

kettle

in the first episode was absolutely horrific, and with a bit of googling is extremely common in prisons.

Which is totally grim.

12 minutes ago, Isaac said:

The scene with the

Reveal hidden contents

kettle

in the first episode was absolutely horrific, and with a bit of googling is extremely common in prisons.

Which is totally grim.

It's known as "napalming".  I just wonder how they get hold of 

Spoiler

kettles

I haven't started watching this yet, I have next week off so it's on my binge list.  I think a realistic portrayal of prisons is quite hard to do - word of mouth is so far very good. 

This was excellent. Graham and Bean were superb, although there wasn't a dud performance in there at all. Sadly, it seemed like an all-too realistic representation of modern prison life. 

Stephen Graham is probably the best actor working today.

Although Sean Bean is incredible in this too.

Just finished it and it had us both in pieces by the end. 

What a stunning bit of TV.

These types of prison drama crash or burn on the extent to which you can emotionally invest in characters who have ultimately done something wrong. This pulls that off with aplomb, just like Lennie James was able to do years back in Buried. 

That you also care for the fate of the characters on the periphery shows what a cracking piece of drama this is.

Yeah i really like this. That opening is very realistic. But then i like it doesn't stick to hard realism and has more movie-like stuff such as the first inmate Bean shares with. 

A character in another prison drama said to another who had just arrived something like; 'never smile'. When Bean's inmate is going on about conspiracies and staring him out, it's easy to try to suppress the awkwardness in ways that aren't as how Bean does it. I wouldn't last a day in prison i don't think. 

Just finished episode 1 and 10 minutes into 2

Spoiler

I can't understand how that inmate threathening Stephen Graham would immediately know his son was transferred to Chapel Grove unless a prison guard is feeding him that information. It's not showing Graham's disbelief or puzzlement at all, he was more surprised the first time and now he's accepted the inevitability of them always knowing. Maybe it will move to suggesting one of his colleagues has a grudge with him but it's not taken time on any of them, they're all invisible and if it did it probably wouldn't be subtle.

I don’t think it's going to go there but as a viewer that is more your central concern over Sean Bean having some food taken off him and that guy constantly stealing his phone time. To be dramatic they have to touch on certain truths but which can come across hammy, like the other inmates looking on like; this guy is weak! You've got to stand up for yourself or they'll walk all over you. I don't think the bbc are good at avoiding cliches but i think this mostly does. 

I think it's easy for Sean Bean's character to fall into being too much of a blank canvas for the audience to slip into, he's just a good natured humble guy out of place. I don't expect him to hit anyone bullying him but it's like, extreme things happen 1% of the time, 99% of life is normal and boring, even in a prison. Dramas only show the 1%, there could be more conversations he has with inmates that are normal where he shows some personality, aren't just about what they're inside for. It doesn't seem like they've found much time for it. 

Inmates accusing you of staring at them, one being scolded with hot water (they're allowed kettles, really?), it does a good job of making you feel like prison are horrible, you wouldn't survive and always watch your speed when driving because that's the likeliest way most people could end up there. 

But also, like when you somehow end up on a local news site and there's a naming and shaming of low level criminals with mugshots and they all look like they've had an awful life, cuts and marks all over their hagged worn faces and we're supposed to tut and think; oh such terrible people in a middle class detached way. 

Dramas along with the media pretty much contributes to the propaganda, the accepted stories so we don't really challenge how extreme some people end up. 

All watched. 

Spoiler

I'm not naive to think that a prison officer smuggling in drugs wouldn't land him a prison sentence nor that by going where everyone expects it to the writer can be as much highlighting the nonsense of it.

What purpose does it serve? What lesson is he meant to learn? What damage was done? But he committed a crime and must be punished! Yeah, but not willingly, the choice of let some inmates get high or watch your son get beaten to death isn't much of a choice. 

I guess i shouldn't get worked up, he's only a fictional character.

Anyway, I thought it was all engaging and convincing, great performances all round, i liked the 2 inmates with crimes they'd yet to confront that drew on embarrassment and shame being the main reason for violence. 

Like the funeral being denied, contrived or true, it's completely pointless. Oh no a phone! We have too few phones available and limit their calls to a degree that seems to cause so much needless aggravation and tension between inmates, like I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here starving the celebrities so they argue and it creates better television. 

What intel? You have to suspect Kavanagh because he's the only one Cobden told. Unless it was the grey haired godfather of the prison guy. In which case we and Mcnally have to assume the ploy all along was to force him to smuggle in drugs then tell. 

I guess he knew that and still went with it to buy his son time. Oh no it was the governor who for some reason phoned Chapel Grove and was told Mcnally's son was getting it easy. What does that mean? Not being beaten to near death? Why is she phoning? Did she ask about him because she heard he'd be beaten to near death? Why would she assume there was a reason for it and expect if there were no more beatings that's suspicious? 

Any 'intel' could have been nothing but that officer was quite determined, looked more than just a random search. 

Cobden asked to do a speech at a conference, the chaplin and the governor the only two people there except the anonymous person in the background. Immediately the Jones guy is like; I've heard you're going out on your own to do a speech. Really? From who? He was just asked! I doubt the person in the background could hear or would care to so that just leaves the governor and the chaplin. Presumably the chaplin was so excited she went around telling everyone or the Jones guy has psychic abilities and we're just meant to not think about it. 

Cobden is humble but really you'd think; yeah Jones guy you're asking me to risk putting years on to my sentence merely for you to sell some drugs in the prison, my whole aim in life is survive this sentence, not increase it, does your life really depend on bringing more drugs in to the prison really really really? 

Guardian review says they're enraged by this. What are they enraged by? Our shitty prisons or us allowing shitty prisons? Our only engagement being actors giving predictably astounding performances that move us. Nothing changes until the next drama and all the middle class people can pat themselves on the back that they were moved by such hard hitting drama.

I was moved too, it's very well done, i liked it a lot, I'm gonna recommend it because i think it's worth watching. And also so i can badger people about all my complaints, a full unload which I'm looking forward to. 

Was the sorry x100 letter supposed to not be insulting? We expect eloquence and he comes out with that? 

I tried to recommend this to my brother, he struggles with watching tv or film fiction because he says he'd rather spend time learning about something. Anyway, he seems to have known a few people who have been to prison, one who did 3 months for evading car insurance multiple times, a big stocky lad who you'd think would be able to handle himself who said it was grim inside. One from football, the friendliest guy who'd come up and shake hands who basically punched someone in a bar and the guy hit his head and fell into a coma. Doesn't sound that friendly, my brother couldn't remember if the guy came out of a coma or died which is quite key. Another again a well spoken nice gym instructor who was with his mates, one punched a guy and then a load got in a single kick and that guy also i think fell into a coma and being a part of the group and doing a single kick (which sounds bad to me, all laying into someone on the ground) got i think something like a few years in prison. He was training to be a quantitative surveyor at the time and managed to keep his job, his employers thinking that these things sometimes happen. I was really surprised by that. 

I don't know what my point is, i hate violence, i hate the combination of false machoism and deep insecurity, the offence taken by any slights. The story told in Time,

Spoiler

About sipping the wrong drink and a fight breaking out over it. It seems the easiest way for things to escalate. So much of communication in those situations seems to me so passive aggressive. The way we're more than anything else social creatures but so aggressive to the outsider, how we can be best friends with someone we talk to while hostile to ones we don't, that there's no difference between the two besides different parts of their personality being shown. The other animals we share the planet with don't have egos. I was on my pushbike once riding down a canal path at 9pm, getting dark. A woman and man walked past. He said something so i stopped and took my earphones out and said; 'what?' I can't remember how it went from there, i think he asked 'have you got a cigarette?' and i still couldn't hear him so said 'what? ...no'. He then said; 'do you want a fight?' I said; 'wha..no'. He walked up to me and punched me in the side of my head before i had time to pedal off. His woman mate said; 'he's just hit that guy!' I just think if he knocked me out and i fell into the canal i would have drowned. He was a stocky guy so how his punch was so weak i don't know really, didn't hurt at all. Then again last week i was nearly crushed by a lorry on a bend before a motorway as the lane became closed and i slammed on the breaks just in time, so i guess we have near death experiences regularly. 

And has also written no end of amazing BBC dramas of high quality as well. 

The Street 

Moving on 

Accused 

Are all fantastic. 

He's a brilliant writer tbh. 

On 09/06/2021 at 15:41, Loik V credern said:

All watched. 

Hide contents

I'm not naive to think that a prison officer smuggling in drugs wouldn't land him a prison sentence nor that by going where everyone expects it to the writer can be as much highlighting the nonsense of it.

What purpose does it serve? What lesson is he meant to learn? What damage was done? But he committed a crime and must be punished! Yeah, but not willingly, the choice of let some inmates get high or watch your son get beaten to death isn't much of a choice. 

I guess i shouldn't get worked up, he's only a fictional character.

Anyway, I thought it was all engaging and convincing, great performances all round, i liked the 2 inmates with crimes they'd yet to confront that drew on embarrassment and shame being the main reason for violence. 

Like the funeral being denied, contrived or true, it's completely pointless. Oh no a phone! We have too few phones available and limit their calls to a degree that seems to cause so much needless aggravation and tension between inmates, like I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here starving the celebrities so they argue and it creates better television. 

What intel? You have to suspect Kavanagh because he's the only one Cobden told. Unless it was the grey haired godfather of the prison guy. In which case we and Mcnally have to assume the ploy all along was to force him to smuggle in drugs then tell. 

I guess he knew that and still went with it to buy his son time. Oh no it was the governor who for some reason phoned Chapel Grove and was told Mcnally's son was getting it easy. What does that mean? Not being beaten to near death? Why is she phoning? Did she ask about him because she heard he'd be beaten to near death? Why would she assume there was a reason for it and expect if there were no more beatings that's suspicious? 

Any 'intel' could have been nothing but that officer was quite determined, looked more than just a random search. 

Cobden asked to do a speech at a conference, the chaplin and the governor the only two people there except the anonymous person in the background. Immediately the Jones guy is like; I've heard you're going out on your own to do a speech. Really? From who? He was just asked! I doubt the person in the background could hear or would care to so that just leaves the governor and the chaplin. Presumably the chaplin was so excited she went around telling everyone or the Jones guy has psychic abilities and we're just meant to not think about it. 

Cobden is humble but really you'd think; yeah Jones guy you're asking me to risk putting years on to my sentence merely for you to sell some drugs in the prison, my whole aim in life is survive this sentence, not increase it, does your life really depend on bringing more drugs in to the prison really really really? 

Guardian review says they're enraged by this. What are they enraged by? Our shitty prisons or us allowing shitty prisons? Our only engagement being actors giving predictably astounding performances that move us. Nothing changes until the next drama and all the middle class people can pat themselves on the back that they were moved by such hard hitting drama.

I was moved too, it's very well done, i liked it a lot, I'm gonna recommend it because i think it's worth watching. And also so i can badger people about all my complaints, a full unload which I'm looking forward to. 

Was the sorry x100 letter supposed to not be insulting? We expect eloquence and he comes out with that? 

On the phone thing - having a phone in a prison is a serious offence. Five years ago (I remember exactly when it was, it was on my 39th birthday) I was nearly arrested for having a phone in HMP Liverpool - where I think a good bit of this was filmed, it was actually mentioned by the welsh fella under it's old name "Walton". It was only because I was in to see the Head of Security and had gone in through the employees entrance, but hadn't been told to stick my phone in a locker, that I wasn't. When I told my father in law this (he's a magistrate), he told me that day he'd added 18 months onto someone's sentence for having a phone in their cell. The landlines they use in prisons are monitored and recorded, mobiles obviously aren't. The problem is that prisoners could be intimidating witnesses or carrying on about their criminal enterprises if their calls are unmonitored. It's a big deal.

I'd say the governor ringing Chapel Grove was her doing her job properly.  For exactly the reasons highlighted. It's an easy way to see if there's going to be any more problems and if there's anything she should be looking out for.

How would he know Cobden was going out? Given the amount of paperwork involved and the amount of lists he'd be on, loads of the staff would know. If Jones is a "Mr Big" type gangster, as he was portrayed to be, any number of those staff could be feeding him information. I don't think  he was asked then went later that day, it would have been a good bit later, so he had plenty of time to be told and then plan something. And yes, drugs are that important. It's often said whoever controls the drugs, controls the prison.