Introducing Hit Points, a newsletter about the game industry, by me

Nate Dogg III

3 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Just had a reply from someone who worked on that Just Dance, and a couple of months after that E3 spent a week at Apple HQ testing the Apple TV version of the game on the new remote. He and his crew were also beyond sick of the song by the end of it.

Guess who Apple booked to come to Cupertino and sing for them as a thank-you for all their hard work. :lol:

niccagelaughing.gif.c182aed7c16ccd7936dcc3f5b63ab32a.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another good read today but this elicited a proper LOL from me in More:

Summer Game Fest returns in June 9, Everywhere’s Geoff Keighley has confirmed. You can go and watch it at your local IMAX if you’re so inclined, and are insane. 

Lovely stuff. :lol:

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Popo said:

Excellent read, great way to spend Saturday morning. 

i was in a (private) spa reading it. I think it probably cost me £40 in time.

well worth it

(we might have run out of ideas for my 70+ year old mother’s birthday at this point though I suspect she might not be interested in a hit points subscription, sorry).

32 minutes ago, footle said:

i was in a (private) spa reading it. I think it probably cost me £40 in time.

well worth it

(we might have run out of ideas for my 70+ year old mother’s birthday at this point though I suspect she might not be interested in a hit points subscription, sorry).

well this is excellent. Could do a new section on the coolest/weirdest/sexiest places people have read Hit Points.

Must have been nice for you that the Jake story has a happy ending (sorry)

47 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

well this is excellent. Could do a new section on the coolest/weirdest/sexiest places people have read Hit Points.

Must have been nice for you that the Jake story has a happy ending (sorry)

I’ve just read your anniversary lunch post on the discord, and the spa (in someone’s back garden, though it’s well regarded in Cambridgeshire/East Anglia) isn’t half as posh as that ;)

So, I just went to amend my sub to this from the 1 year subscription to the monthly one. I was paid up until January 2023. Changed it over and I have just been charged again for the month and will be again next month and the remainder of my one year sub seems to have disappeared into the ether. There was no warning when I swapped over that I would be charged immediately. I thought it would just change it for when the year sub ran out.

5 hours ago, squirtle said:

So, I just went to amend my sub to this from the 1 year subscription to the monthly one. I was paid up until January 2023. Changed it over and I have just been charged again for the month and will be again next month and the remainder of my one year sub seems to have disappeared into the ether. There was no warning when I swapped over that I would be charged immediately. I thought it would just change it for when the year sub ran out.

Well that's annoying. Sorry, man. I've got another reader with weird billing problems too, I'll take them both up with support. Could you DM me the email address you signed up with?

1 minute ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Well that's annoying. Sorry, man. I've got another reader with weird billing problems too, I'll take them both up with support. Could you DM me the email address you signed up with?

No worries. Will do. I have also raised a ticket with their support as well.

13 minutes ago, squirtle said:

No worries. Will do. I have also raised a ticket with their support as well.

Got it, cheers. From my experience with support so far they'll say something along the lines of 'haha yes sorry, that's the way it works' and not do anything about it, but one can always hope.

6 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Got it, cheers. From my experience with support so far they'll say something along the lines of 'haha yes sorry, that's the way it works' and not do anything about it, but one can always hope.

Well... They sound amazing...

I'm loving this. It's so weird to be reading an email that I like. Thanks for the effort Nate.

There's no way I'm ever going to sub because my interest in the games industry (not the games) has decreased as I've aged but this is great. Thank you. 

On 20/07/2022 at 16:39, Nate Dogg III said:

Just to say that they got back to me and were really good. Offered to keep me in the monthly sub and refund the rest of the year I had paid, refund me the month taken and switch me back to the year, or just refund me everything. I picked the first one and got refunded. All sorted.

• 1 month later...

Thank you @Sarlaccfood! It's nice to be back in the chair but still shaking off some of the rust I think. Not quite at full speed yet.

Working on a couple of things that are very exciting, should have at least one of them out next week. Please look forward to it, etc

@Len I have absolutely no idea, sorry. I did see a popup with the word 'referral' in when I was checking some stats the other day but I closed it on autopilot and then thought, huh, what was that all about. Haven't had any comms from Substack about it either so I assume that was a glitch on their side, sorry for the bother. I'll look into it.

1 hour ago, Len said:

Don't worry about it, was just a surprise really. Certainly no need to look in to it. :)

Hey, I got the popup again! And this time clicked on 'learn more'. Takes me here: https://support.substack.com/hc/en-us/articles/8946512015892

TLDR version is I can send paid subscribers three one-month sub codes to give to pals. Not something I'm interested in turning on right now — you could just read all the paid-exclusive stuff in a few hours then forget about it forever — but there may be changes coming soon (eyes emoji) that would make this a good idea. Thank you for reminding me about it!

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, squirtle said:

Has there been any posts this week? Just noticed not had any this week as I usually catch up on them at the weekend.

Covid! Forgive me! Finally tested positive on Friday after feeling like shit all week, hoping to be back in a few days but depends, obviously.

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Covid! Forgive me! Finally tested positive on Friday after feeling like shit all week, hoping to be back in a few days but depends, obviously.

Ah, shit, dude, sorry about that. Hope you feel better soon. Wasn't annoyed, just wondered if you were off on a well deserved holiday or something. But no, this is much worse.