EA Hacked - Secure accounts etc

21 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57431987

EA say no player data has been taken, but I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

780 GB of data has walked off, including source code for Frostbite and FIFA 21.

Wow, this is becoming a really big problem for the industry. CD Project Red were hit only a few months ago and also had source code stolen. Cyber security is no joke.

25 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Wow, this is becoming a really big problem for the industry. CD Project Red were hit only a few months ago and also had source code stolen. Cyber security is no joke.

For all industries, I'd say. There's no target too big or small to be on the wrong end of ransomware, it just doesn't seem to resonate with Joe Public until it affects the burger supply chain.

8 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

If all these publishers weren't so adamant about us having to set up accounts to play their games...

Or if they just left identity management to people who specialize in it, I guess.

Erm

Edit - holy shit

The hackers then requested a multifactor authentication token from EA IT support to gain access to EA's corporate network. The representative said this was successful two times.

Looks like phishing training for all employees is on the cards.

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

Or if they just left identity management to people who specialize in it, I guess.

So when you get an option to use your apple/google identity or create an email/password I guess better to use the big boy tokens? I've always been wary of giving any website my apple or google email address and would much rather create a specific email and password for them

I don't think many people have that option. IIRC, the Apple login even obfuscates your email. Although, all the data brokers have all our emails anyway.

But this is all academic, given how the intrusion seemed to go down here.

3 hours ago, Sabreman said:

If all these publishers weren't so adamant about us having to set up accounts to play their games...

It's bloody annoying. Most people on here will have accounts with EA, MS, Ubisoft etc, I don't know, maybe half a dozen or more. For security you can't have the same password on each one, and you shouldn't have them written down. My old brain can't handle it so I end up having to reset my password every five minutes, that's when it's tempting to go damnit, I'll just put in a slight variation on the password. Not saying this EA hack is down to a phished account but it may as well be as it's that much of a pain for a lot of people. 

All so these companies can control their data, keep people in their little gaming bubble. 

5 minutes ago, Vimster said:

It's bloody annoying. Most people on here will have accounts with EA, MS, Ubisoft etc, I don't know, maybe half a dozen or more. For security you can't have the same password on each one, and you shouldn't have them written down. My old brain can't handle it so I end up having to reset my password every five minutes, that's when it's tempting to go damnit, I'll just put in a slight variation on the password. Not saying this EA hack is down to a phished account but it may as well be as it's that much of a pain for a lot of people. 

All so these companies can control their data, keep people in their little gaming bubble. 

Use a password manager.

25 minutes ago, Vimster said:

BitWarden is free.

At the very least, let Chrome or Edge or whatever handle that bullshit for you. Or a little black book you keep in a drawer. Anything to allow passwords of sufficient complexity and uniqueness to not do what you do there.

We're definitely beyond being able to remember all our account passwords, and they're going to be weak if you attempt to.

The means by which EA was accessed is just insane, I had no idea these sorts of services existed. Basically, you can buy access to potentially thousands of cookies from a single machine as to fool sites into thinking your computer is the compromised computer. 

21 minutes ago, TehStu said:

The means by which EA was accessed is just insane, I had no idea these sorts of services existed. Basically, you can buy access to potentially thousands of cookies from a single machine as to fool sites into thinking your computer is the compromised computer. 

Interesting articles those, thanks for the links.