IGNORED

Arcane (League of Legends show)

JohnC

Yet another game becoming a Netflix show. Maybe "the Netflix of games" is just Netflix making TV shows of games.

Supposed to be set in the past and telling the origin stories of several characters from Piltover and Zaun.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, yakumo said:

The animation and style look insane, do I need to know anything about the game to appreciate this?. 

Apparently not, this is something of a retroactive prequel following a few of the (eventual) champions and fleshing out the world and giving them a proper backstory..

The first three episodes were extremely well done.. looking forward to seeing more.. the only misstep is Imagine Dragons doing the theme.. Bleh.

36 minutes ago, MDY said:

Apparently not, this is something of a retroactive prequel following a few of the (eventual) champions and fleshing out the world and giving them a proper backstory..

The first three episodes were extremely well done.. looking forward to seeing more.. the only misstep is Imagine Dragons doing the theme.. Bleh.

Thanks, I know Jinx as in the character design, but have no clue of the game at all. I just know this looks fantastic.

No idea what LoL is like as a game, and no interest, but as a piece of animation this is absolutely stellar. Best I’ve seen for an age.

Only 1 Ep in, but visually it’s like Dishonoured and Disco Elysium had an eye-wateringly pretty art-baby. It’s brutal and gorgeous, the cast are great, and the story is interesting too.

Just finished episode 3. Genuinely brilliant. Yes it looks fucking amazing, but dear Lord that was one hell of a story, no punches pulled, with a fantastic script and performances, and a beautifully edited final sequence.

I too really need a ‘making of’, as the art style and animation is fascinating to me. I assume it’s performance captured, as it’s so fluidly done.

Crazy how there's only a dozen or so posts in this thread. I've literally never played LoL and only got into playing Valorant this week, but got a recommendation to watch this. 

Great from start to finish - it's kind of hard to describe how masterfully crafted it is. Not just from the art and animation, but the weaving narratives, the world building, introducing a broad cast of characters etc.

As someone with total ignorance to some of the gaming source material, I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I really enjoyed this. None of the individual elements feel particularly original but it really does mash it all together into a charismatic whole. It moves along at a really decent pace and doesn't lore dump anything, being satisfied with showing and not telling. The characters again are a bit like things you'll no doubt seen before, but for the most part they all have relatable flaws and you do in the end want to see how the core relationships work out.

I did feel like I was missing something by not knowing anything about LoL but from some retroactive reading it seems that they're pulling a pretty stand alone thread out of a jumble of years of bits and pieces.

And you could probably watch it just for the visuals. The action, the use of what seems like 2D animation on top of the 3D for certain effects, the framing of the more static scenes. It's a load of fun even when it's not being particularly subtle.

I just watched the first episode of this. It's clearly well put together and the animation is often great, but the tone of it is just so weird. It feels like a show that should be for both kids and adults, but it's really quite dark and violent (hence the 15 rating I suppose).

It's quite hard to put my finger on, but it's got that strange tonal thing that's also going on in a lot of well written videogames, where the actual scripts and art direction can be very good but the stories themselves are often fairly unchallenging Disney style fare with a bit of hyper violence thrown in.

If I had to make a comparison with something: Disco Elysium is an example of the kind of adult story you get when people who have not been involved with games before write for one, whereas this feels very much like an example of the sort of TV series made by people who normally make games, and thus not feeling particularly adult despite being aimed at them. (Or at least, older teens, which maybe that is the audience I'm not sure, as I said, it's weird)

Like on the one hand you have a street scene with trouserless men chasing prostitutes into a brothel and people drinking and pissing in the street, and then you have a ridiculous little furry professor creature called Heimerdinger. It's all over the place. Like a sort of child's eye view of what a "grown up" world means or is supposed to look like but with cute animals too.

I finished this today, I thought it was excellent. I know next to nothing about LoL but that doesn’t seem to matter. I thought some of the characters, especially Silco, were incredibly well written and the whole world building it does whilst dumping you straight into it is on par with early HBO Game of Thrones (before Game of Thrones went shit).

Some spectacular whatever the animation equivalent of fight choreography is, too.

I think I might have been a bit harsh on it initially: the third episode is really well done. Quite impactful!

I still think it's a bit too weirdly edgy though. It's still taking itself so unbelievably seriously, like just about all videogame things with delusions of grandeur seem to end up doing. While still having ridiculous furry professor people.

It's kind of getting worse as it's going on now for me. 

Spoiler

Now that we've had the "loss of innocence" part out of the way it's just upping the violence and edginess again.

Also, the costumes of the female police officers look hilariously impractical :lol:

So far, so videogames.

Spoiler

Science man is genuinely quite boring. All the stuff with him in the fifth episode feels like someone wrote down "and then some intrigue has to happen". Only it's not really, you know, intriguing.

I now also entirely dislike Powder/Jinx. Just shooting animals (let alone blowing people up) for no reason. Ooh but she's "crazy" now though I guess. So edgy.

They seem to be leaning heavily on her trauma changing her but still expecting you to be sympathetic. Sure, but suffering trauma doesn't necessarily make you a psychopath.

23 hours ago, Benny said:

Like on the one hand you have a street scene with trouserless men chasing prostitutes into a brothel and people drinking and pissing in the street, and then you have a ridiculous little furry professor creature called Heimerdinger. It's all over the place. Like a sort of child's eye view of what a "grown up" world means or is supposed to look like but with cute animals too.

It does its best to wrangle the utter shitshow that League is in art and character design into a single cohesive lore. I thought it did an amazing job. 

Having watched the whole series now I do think it is quite impressive. The tonal shifts kind of settle down after a while and it comes together pretty well overall. I think the story in the first three episodes was the most interesting part though and it followed much more likable characters. It eventually started to collapse under its own weight later on.

Spoiler

I still dislike the character of Jinx though. Depictions of mental illness are always a bit of a minefield and I'm not sure quite how successful it dealt with the themes, but if they do a second season it'll be interesting to see where they go with it.

I agree with Benny here and don't really rate it, it's a Saturday morning cartoon show with sex and violence, which feels like what you'd get if you asked a 12 year old what their best show ever would be. Having the main character you follow being a really obvious knockoff Harley Quinn whose main difference is she has a chaingun makes it clear there's really not much great original material here for them to use.

But it is very nicely animated, very expensively so.