Jump to content

Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Xbox & PC - Metacritic 87 - GOTY 2021!


Jamie John
 Share

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Majora said:

On Series X it feels like there is often some kind of microstutter or frame pacing issue or something. It's worse in some areas than others

 

37 minutes ago, Ran said:

I've been having a persistent micro stutter on my PC so have ditched it for now because it's very annoying. It is a lovely piece of work although I am two great souls in and starting to feel a bit bored with the combat.

Glad to hear it's not just a Series S issue. Maybe it'll be fixed soon, although it's not bothered me much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I noticed the micro-stuttering last night on Series X, in one area of 

Spoiler

the witches mansion. It was a relatively large room, with lots of reflections on the floor and enemies in the corners of the screen.

 

Defo not a deal breaker though, it's absolutely still playable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I found micro-stuttering worst in the docks type area and also the woodland area. I agree it's still perfectly playable, just a little irritating. I only really notice it when I'm running through areas with no enemies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

This is both absolutely excellent and absolutely nothing like Zelda. 

 

Agreed on both counts. There are lots of references and allusions to Zelda, but it doesn't feel like Zelda to play at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got the three giant souls now and am starting to mop up bits I've missed. Does anyone know if there's a point of no return? There must still be a power-up to get as I can't access everything yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just read on Resetera about how to use the circles on the floor. I'll spoiler this but I highly recommend people read it because otherwise you're going to wait for a power-up that never comes

 

Spoiler

You need to strike down on them which apparently you can do by dropping off a ledge and pressing attack? The game literally never mentions this...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Majora said:

Just read on Resetera about how to use the circles on the floor. I'll spoiler this but I highly recommend people read it because otherwise you're going to wait for a power-up that never comes

 

  Reveal hidden contents

You need to strike down on them which apparently you can do by dropping off a ledge and pressing attack? The game literally never mentions this...

 

Yep, I've just discovered this for myself after about 8 hours of play, ha. Channelling that Super Mario Sunshine energy!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve just got to the basement of the Ceramic Mansion or whatever it’s called and I’m not sure how much I’m enjoying this. The combat feels pretty clunky to me and none of the puzzles have been particularly clever. The fights against standard enemies are all pretty tedious enough without having you fight the same mini-boss three times with mild variations. 
 

Still early days, though. And I do like the Dark Souls references. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a counterpoint, I think this may well be my GOTY. 

 

As a general PSA to everyone, once you've got the three giant souls and are looking to track down any secrets, I strongly suggest NOT using a guide. I've been backtracking with my new abilities, searching every nook and cranny, and finding all the stuff for yourself is supremely satisfying. I've found all the shrines, weapons and plant pots now and have three shiny things to go.

 

The 

Spoiler

submerged giant chest in the Overgrown Ruins still eludes me, however, but I'm sure I'll get there!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really hope it grows on me. I like the visual design and some of the secrets are very clever, but the combat is very dull. All the enemies are very basic and the main challenge seems to be manoeuvring around them while dealing with controls which are not quite as responsive as I’d like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I really hope it grows on me. I like the visual design and some of the secrets are very clever, but the combat is very dull. All the enemies are very basic and the main challenge seems to be manoeuvring around them while dealing with controls which are not quite as responsive as I’d like. 

 

I'd say that the combat definitely becomes more involved as the game goes on, but I never found it dull - it's too frantic for that. It's all about prioritising certain targets and creating space for yourself before you get overwhelmed.

 

I can't empathise with what you're saying about the controls, either, I'm afraid. They're tighter than a nun's chuff for me! They have to be, for some of the later encounters. What problems are you having with them, specifically?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I've had to resort to using a guide now as I've got no clue where I'm meant to be going!

 

Whereabouts are you up to?

 

I'm up against the final boss now, but I know there's things I haven't found yet. No matter what I do, however, I can't see any way of getting to certain secrets and I've scoured the entire map at least twice. I'm hoping that you unlock something once you finish the last boss and you can go back to find anything you missed.

 

There's definitely something going on with the 

Spoiler

Crescent moon symbols you find on the floor.

 

And I've found one of the 

Spoiler

Ancient tablets, the one you get for planting all the seeds, but I've no idea how to open the other two doors. The one in the cemetery I think is linked to the bell tower, but I don't have the key. The one on the mountain is linked, I'm sure, to the six braziers throughout the level, but I can't get them to stay lit.

 

And I still haven't figured out how to open the submerged chest in the Overgrown Ruins.

 

Intriguing!

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

 

I'd say that the combat definitely becomes more involved as the game goes on, but I never found it dull - it's too frantic for that. It's all about prioritising certain targets and creating space for yourself before you get overwhelmed.

 

I can't empathise with what you're saying about the controls, either, I'm afraid. They're tighter than a nun's chuff for me! They have to be, for some of the later encounters. What problems are you having with them, specifically?


I find it quite difficult to put into words but they just don’t feel tight or responsive to me. A particular frustration is rolling and then trying to slash in a direction other than the one I was rolling in, seems very hit and miss. Rolling in general just doesn’t feel great to me, possibly due to the short delay after rolling. Maybe increasing the agility stat will improve things by reducing the cooldown on the roll. 
 

And the sense I get from the controls is that this is just how the game is, rather than me not quite getting how to play it/getting the input timing wrong. But I could be wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only issue with the controls is you can't customize them - I find the default with one attack on a trigger and the other on a face button a bit odd and wish I could stick roll on B like Souls.

 

That aside I think this is just lovely so far. Level design is excellent, combat's tight and some of the bosses are incredible (I loved the Witch boss). It's all wrapped up in a delightfully Ghibli'esque aesthetic too - best thing I've played this year. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

My only issue with the controls is you can't customize them - I find the default with one attack on a trigger and the other on a face button a bit odd and wish I could stick roll on B like Souls.

 

That aside I think this is just lovely so far. Level design is excellent, combat's tight and some of the bosses are incredible (I loved the Witch boss). It's all wrapped up in a delightfully Ghibli'esque aesthetic too - best thing I've played this year. 

 

 

You could just use the xbox controller app to make a custom mapping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

You could just use the xbox controller app to make a custom mapping.

 

That crossed my mind but it can't be done on a per game basis and I've already got an alt controller profile set up for my daughter so didn't want to make things confusing for her. I've kinda got used to it now but I know it'll play merry havoc when I go back to my Dark Souls 3 playthrough

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Jamie John changed the title to Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Xbox & PC - Metacritic 87 - GOTY 2021!
6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Made a little video of some of the bomb flower combat in the second area (spoilered for people who haven't got there yet):

 

 

Damn, I love those flowers.


Did you visit that “dungeon” area second? Maybe I’ve missed a chance to get that weapon along the way….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, QuackQuack said:


Did you visit that “dungeon” area second? Maybe I’ve missed a chance to get that weapon along the way….

 

You can find it in the 

Spoiler

Witch's garden, before you go inside the house.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Oh man. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, there are some fantastic bits in this post-credits. :D

Spoiler

Wtf is going on with the ghosts?

I think it may be too deliberately obscure for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, footle said:
  Hide contents

Wtf is going on with the ghosts?

I think it may be too deliberately obscure for me.

 

Spoilered, depending on how much of a hint you want:

 

Spoiler

Look for something else in the environment that looks like them.

 

Spoiler

They follow you. Take one for a walk and see what happens.

 

Spoiler

You need to lead them somewhere. There are seven ghosts and seven places you need to lead them to.

 

Spoiler

The places you need to lead them to are near to where you find each one. All outside.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.