IGNORED

Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Xbox/PC/Switch/PS4 - GOTY 2021!

Jamie John

I bought this partly because rllmuk thinks it's the best thing ever, but TBH it just doesn't grab me. The visuals are fantastic, and the style of the game is really appealing with all the weird characters - but actually playing the game isn't really that satisfying. 

What am I missing? I'm not against being a tiny crow running around swinging swords at people, but the actual sword-swinging and puzzle-solving is just not doing it for me.

If you'd like to chip in with "You just need to play up until [x] and then it'll grab you", I'm currently up to the Witch's castle, running around solving puzzles.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm loving this. Just got to Betty and... yeah? That's a marked spike in difficulty compared to anything else in the game. Think I'm going to take a trek back through and see what I can unlock. Get my bomb powerup a little quicker and see if I can find my fourth health/magic shrine. Currently on 3 of each! It's very good though, feels properly Zelda'y in the best way. 

As great as this is I keep hitting spikes that make me want to throw my pad at the TV. I'm currently on my way to what I presume is the second Giant Soul  and I'm doing one of those rooms where enemies spawn in doors and it's the big bastards with the hammers that are doing me. I know the patterns I just can't dodge consistently.

First person to tell me to 'git gud' gets told to fuck off.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

As great as this is I keep hitting spikes that make me want to throw my pad at the TV. I'm currently on my way to what I presume is the second Giant Soul  and I'm doing one of those rooms where enemies spawn in doors and it's the big bastards with the hammers that are doing me. I know the patterns I just can't dodge consistently.

Become better?

;)

Do those sections have an instant restart, at least?

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I struggled fighting those guys for a while. Found that using ranged attacks on these guys really helped to whittle down their health, specifically (spoilers in case you've not found it yet)

Spoiler

The upgraded fire spell.

28 minutes ago, df0 said:

@moosegrinder Not combat related, but here's a tip: those sewer grates? Fall on em from above while attacking. I was 90% through the game before I asked google, the game never explains that mechanic.

I did not know this, cheers man.

15 minutes ago, Flams said:

I struggled fighting those guys for a while. Found that using ranged attacks on these guys really helped to whittle down their health, specifically (spoilers in case you've not found it yet)

Reveal hidden contents

The upgraded fire spell.

I think I've missed loads of stuff. I've not extended my life bar or magic bar yet and I don't know if I'm supposed to have. I think I have a couple of magic crystals, I presume the green ones are for life.

I picked this up over Christmas and just finished it last night. "Finished". Beat the boss and decided to have a quick run around before bed to see if there were any last bits of business to mop up.

Spoiler

Three hours later and it's night time and a squid is showing me the way to his moon temple.

Brilliant game.

I tried this again recently. Finally got past a set of chambers that I was stuck on forever and got to the witch urn battle. Had about 10 attempts, towards the end it was going on for what felt like 15mins and then discovered there is a THIRD part to it. Then if you die you have to start again. I don't understand people who say this is like a 3-5 hour game because I feel like I've almost spent way more than this already just getting to the 1st proper boss.

On that battle, I'm just mainly hitting the green balls back at her. Then doing my fireball magic at her here and there (mostly when she is in the urn). Am I playing it wrong or is this just the game?

Yeah you're doing it wrong. You can get in to batter her as she transitions to the urn and hops around, then as she turns into and out of the bullet hell urn, you can also bounce the purple orbs back at her. I died a lot as I forgot on the third phase she spits out purple orbs in here spin across the screen and as she hops around.

53 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I tried this again recently. Finally got past a set of chambers that I was stuck on forever and got to the witch urn battle. Had about 10 attempts, towards the end it was going on for what felt like 15mins and then discovered there is a THIRD part to it. Then if you die you have to start again. I don't understand people who say this is like a 3-5 hour game because I feel like I've almost spent way more than this already just getting to the 1st proper boss.

On that battle, I'm just mainly hitting the green balls back at her. Then doing my fireball magic at her here and there (mostly when she is in the urn). Am I playing it wrong or is this just the game?

I don't think anyone has claimed it's a 3-5 hour game. It took me 15 hours to 100 percent it, so I'd say it's at least half that just to get to the credits.

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

Spoiler

If you time and aim it right, when she is in cannon mode you can bounce a shot back into the mouth of the pot whilst it's rotating, which does big damage. I found it easiest to pull off at about medium distance.

5 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Hide contents

If you time and aim it right, when she is in cannon mode you can bounce a shot back into the mouth of the pot whilst it's rotating, which does big damage. I found it easiest to pull off at about medium distance.

Or fireball. That works too.

Just killed her.

Spoiler

I can't believe I hadn't tried hitting the purple ones back at her.

Then that dread again of going back to the hub and having no idea where to go. I find that really daunting so I just randomly went to the first area (courtyard place) and wandered around, just so happened to come across a web that I could blast. Seem to be going somewhere now and stopped the game there on a positive note. In the back of my mind however I'm thinking it's going to lead me nowhere, maybe some extra currency at most. Then I'm going to be back to randomly wandering around again.

9 hours ago, Capwn said:

Just killed her.

Reveal hidden contents

I can't believe I hadn't tried hitting the purple ones back at her.

Then that dread again of going back to the hub and having no idea where to go. I find that really daunting so I just randomly went to the first area (courtyard place) and wandered around, just so happened to come across a web that I could blast. Seem to be going somewhere now and stopped the game there on a positive note. In the back of my mind however I'm thinking it's going to lead me nowhere, maybe some extra currency at most. Then I'm going to be back to randomly wandering around again.

If you need to know the next thing to do after killing her, you can talk to the grey crow on the mountain and he'll show you an image of the next bit. I thought his clue must have been wrong and I couldn't go there yet but I was wrong.

3 hours ago, Graham S said:

If you need to know the next thing to do after killing her, you can talk to the grey crow on the mountain and he'll show you an image of the next bit. I thought his clue must have been wrong and I couldn't go there yet but I was wrong.

What mountain? in the hub? 

24 minutes ago, Capwn said:

What mountain? in the hub? 

In the lost cemetery,

Spoiler

there's a summit, and an old grey crow standing in front of a seemingly important door. He told me to do the witch bit next, so I assumed you'll have already seen him. He seems to be the hint person about which boss you can do next. But if you want to know which bit to do after the witch grandma it is.

Spoiler

beyond where you defeated the cathedral boss, there's a bridge, and a lift down (I think the game may describe this as East or South East maybe, and there's like a rope or a zipline. You should be able to get down the rope there somehow for the next bit.

I should say I don't know if there's a definite sequence mandated by what power ups you've unlocked, this is just the order I followed and the game seemed to be telling me to follow.

Am still stuck, spent a hour wandering around going nowhere last night (did find a shrine at least). Couldn't find any summits in the lost cemetery. Anytime I find a new place, it leads to areas where I need a ability that I don't have such as smashing walls and what I'm guessing is hooking onto those crosses.

I don't know, it's an odd one, if they really didn't want to add a map that can be accessed at any time I would have had a character in the main hub that lets you read their map. Something like that, otherwise there will be people like me that are just wandering around in circles with no idea if they are going in the right/wrong direction.

I agree with you that the lost cemetery area is way too confusing, it all looks the same and I spent a lot of time getting lost in there as well. Your final target to move on is in the bottom right corner of the area. Of course, I can't remember exactly how to get there, but if you are getting this stuck I'd just use a walkthrough to check what's next. You probably need to use the newest ability that you unlocked (bombs?) to get there.