IGNORED

Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Xbox/PC/Switch/PS4 - GOTY 2021!

Jamie John

@sandman It's challenging, for sure, but I never found it frustrating: the checkpointing is generous (far more so than Dark Souls) and the bosses are all just pattern recognition. Moreover, a big part of what makes the game special is the satisfaction you derive from overcoming the challenges it throws at you. I'd definitely give it a go, at the very least. Nothing worth doing was ever easy.

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

@sandman It's challenging, for sure, but I never found it frustrating: the checkpointing is generous (far more so than Dark Souls) and the bosses are all just pattern recognition. Moreover, a big part of what makes the game special is the satisfaction you derive from overcoming the challenges it throws at you. I'd definitely give it a go, at the very least. Nothing worth doing was ever easy.

Okey dokey. It’s already downloaded to my one x so I might as well give it a try 

27 minutes ago, sandman said:

Thanks for the warning. Sounds far too hard for me 

I wasn't talking about the difficulty so much as the structure and obvious overall influence of the Souls games on the developers. I'd heard it compared to Zelda but the Souls influence is much more obvious to me.

It's fairly hard but nothing crazy, so don't let that put you off.

I get the initial feeling that it’s hard, mainly because it doesn’t tell you the controls until after a boss fight. I’m very early on but enjoy the Zelda vibe it’s giving me. The 

Spoiler

bit where you light the torches with your arrows was a great way to introduce the bow. And I like how you can use enemy attacks against other enemies.

I’m finding some bosses near the end a bit tricky and maybe I won’t finish it but for the most part, with quite a lot of retrying to master each new enemy, I think it’s been pretty well balanced. I think it’s supposed to feel tough but in reality it’s fairly easy to learn with a bit of patience. The enemies will punish you and you’ll die quickly and often (like against the basic enemies in Dark Souls when you’re first playing) but their patterns are simple and it’s way less complex than a 3D action game, you just avoid their attack and hit them with your sword. The sections you need to retry on death are usually very short. I’m not very skilled at games but I’ve found the combat less infuriating than any 2D Zelda. 

Finally made a start on this tonight, it's one I've been watching but didn't want to outright buy because I generally suck at these types of games. 

True to form, I've already died 3 times and I've been playing for about half an hour lol. Will keep at it because as mentioned in various places, it's a kinder dark souls which I truly have no patience for anymore. Short runs back from dying and not losing all my currencies etc is enough to keep my trying. 

I rarely outright give up on a game due to difficulty but DS2's DLC in recent memory drove me to uninstall the damn thing lol. Hopefully I'll persevere with this. 

Once I got my head round the enemies, I ended up getting through to the first major area of the three "main" bosses. Probably didn't help I decided to go for my first run as umbrella only in an attempt to maximize achievement efficiency which is undoubtedly why I struggled for a bit at first, it's kinda clicked now though. 

22 hours ago, Varsity said:

Once I got my head round the enemies, I ended up getting through to the first major area of the three "main" bosses. Probably didn't help I decided to go for my first run as umbrella only in an attempt to maximize achievement efficiency which is undoubtedly why I struggled for a bit at first, it's kinda clicked now though. 

Oof, it would take less time to play through a second time doing critical path with the brolly once you know what you are doing. 

2 hours ago, Polmon said:

Oof, it would take less time to play through a second time doing critical path with the brolly once you know what you are doing. 

Yeah probably, I did consider it but I'd already started by that point. To be fair, not having too rough a time of it really. The mini arena fights against waves of enemies have caused more issues than the actual bosses so far >.< 

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've been playing with the idea of doing a brolly run myself, just to get those final few achievements...

Speaking as someone who hasn't finished it yet, it's not that hard tbh. I struggled at first but that was mostly getting used to the roll and what to avoid. I've upgraded strength all the way now and apart from a few random enemies, I haven't had any trouble. 

As mentioned above, I'm sure if you just did a critical path run you'd have 0 issues especially if you've done it before. 

So, question, are the upgrades for bombs/arrows etc worth getting or are they kinda passable? Having real trouble on the mini bosses before em, and considering sacking em off and just doing the actual main story bosses on this umbrella run and then mopping up that stuff on a 2nd run with actual weapons. 

I've got the patterns down pat mostly but trying to hit the enemy when they've got those 3 orbs flying round them is proving to be a bloody nightmare. 

51 minutes ago, Varsity said:

So, question, are the upgrades for bombs/arrows etc worth getting or are they kinda passable? Having real trouble on the mini bosses before em, and considering sacking em off and just doing the actual main story bosses on this umbrella run and then mopping up that stuff on a 2nd run with actual weapons. 

I've got the patterns down pat mostly but trying to hit the enemy when they've got those 3 orbs flying round them is proving to be a bloody nightmare. 

The one for the fireball is a massive upgrade and well worth trying to get. I havent got any of the others.

Meh, I gave up on them for now tbh. Kept repeatedly getting to what I assume is them at low health with 3 orbs flying around. 

Decided to branch off and maybe hunt for some health upgrades, because doing it just with the brolly and base health was not fun. Will come back for em if I hit a wall with other bosses maybe and I'm in a better position health wise. 

Just in case, about those sewer grates you see; drop down on those from a height and attack mid fall. Game never explains this yet is the way to gain coin and upgrades.

6 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Ah, Betty is where I'm stuck. If it's acknowledged to be hard I'll go away and power up some spells.

I’ve just done it. Flame spell was useful but learning to dodge was more crucial, for me.

1 hour ago, df0 said:

Just in case, about those sewer crates you see; drop down on those from a height and attack mid fall. Game never explains this yet is the way to gain coin and upgrades.

Thanks, think I've got a couple by accident lol but never clocked that's what it was, these games are really not my forte xD

Managed to get up to 5HP and upgraded speed a few times so gonna put some time aside tomorrow night and try to tackle those minibosses again. 

Just to add, I know it's been said countless times in this thread but the soundtrack in this game is beautiful stuff...definitely one to add to the spotify playlist.

Made good progress last night in the end. Am now on the penultimate boss of the game. 

Didn't try any more silent servants but brought up a guide and went hunting for the last shrines I needed so HP now at 6. Thought Betty would be a nightmare given posts here but got her down in 3-4 tries. The boss I'm now on is pretty easy but don't know if it's just me but this boss really feels like a sponge, was lobbing fireball after fireball last night and it just wasn't going down...and the fight isn't even hard so it's just this disappointing, tedious boss lol. 

Figured I'll try and get this one and the last boss to finish the brolly only run/achievement then go back and get all the stuff I missed for 100% being able to use other weapons. Should make the silent servants a breeze with actual weapons lol...that's the theory anyway.

27 minutes ago, DC said:

TF can you do in phase 2 of theFrog fight?

EDIT: I think I’ve figured it out.

EDITEDIT: No. This is shit.

Spoiler

Plan out what platforms he bombs in advance, preferably in a row or column. 

Fire an arrow at the scepter on his back to regen the lost platforms. 

When he tilts the platform throw a bomb in his mouth and get easy hits in. 

EDIT: Just got to the final boss, wish me luck >.<