IGNORED

Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Xbox/PC/Switch/PS4 - GOTY 2021!

Jamie John

23 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I'm really enjoying this a lot.

The fact this isn't a roguelight, and doesn't have roguelight elements, and doesn't have any kind of random reward element at all, is SO refreshing. It's old fashioned in that way, and has way more in common with Bastion than most modern 2D overhead action games. It's much better than Bastion, though.

Yes, I was thinking this. It's challenging, but not overshadowed by the tension and dread that overhangs a roguelike. Refreshing is the word.

I just wish it had rumble. I don't see why this feature isn't included. It feels like a bug, or if not then a serious oversight.

It definitely gets harder, which feels like a no-brainer thing to say about a game but I was finding it pretty easy up to and through the mansion and then as soon as I went into the next area I was dying a lot as there were much more groups of enemies. It's not particularly punishing but you have to focus harder.

Agreed on the Bastion comparison, it's the exact game I was thinking of when I was playing it earlier. Also agreed this is a fair bit better though.

I'm passing lots of areas I don't have access to yet, either because I don't have what looks like some sort of hookshot ability (the metal anchors with red ribbon) or wall breaking strike (the stone walls that glow green). I hope there's some sort of map or treasure detection thing you pick up later that shows you areas you haven't fully explored yet, or its going to be a bit tedious to constantly go over old ground.

14 hours ago, Hitcher said:

While I'm enjoying it it does have it's flaws - no map being one of the biggest IMO.

14 hours ago, Majora said:

I don't know if you really need a map unless it opens up significantly later on. The levels are pretty linear and compact. There are little optional bits you might want to come back to later but the levels are compact enough and there's enough teleportation points that I haven't found it an issue.

19 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm passing lots of areas I don't have access to yet, either because I don't have what looks like some sort of hookshot ability (the metal anchors with red ribbon) or wall breaking strike (the stone walls that glow green). I hope there's some sort of map or treasure detection thing you pick up later that shows you areas you haven't fully explored yet, or its going to be a bit tedious to constantly go over old ground.

Hmm. The levels aren’t that big, and there’s a nice surprise later on, after the mansion, which will hint at why there’s no map (it’d ruin part of the game, really).

Yeah, some of areas I encountered so far are purposefully labyrinthine and a map would ruin them, but, at the same time, it can sometimes be frustrating when you die and have to remember where you actually were as a lot of the environments look similar to each other. It's all very well saying that Souls games don't have maps, but Souls games also have a 3D camera, so you can see things in the distance, and you certainly don't zip through the different rooms/areas in Souls games as quickly as you do in this.

@footle's post gives me hope, though. I should probably just 

Play the videogame

and stop speculating.

Anyway, did anyone here ever play Hob from a few years ago? It was another isometric action-adventure/exploration game that I quite enjoyed, although I think it flew under the radar for lots of people. This game reminds me of Hob a lot, but it's a lot more polished.

I mean, I definitely can't remember everything I passed that you are meant to come back later but I also feel like it will probably take 5-10 minutes at most to scout each area out a second time. I don't think the levels are particularly big in all honesty.

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Anyway, did anyone here ever play Hob from a few years ago? It was another isometric action-adventure/exploration game that I quite enjoyed, although I think it flew under the radar for lots of people. This game reminds me of Hob a lot, but it's a lot more polished.

Yes, the video I was watching of this yesterday reminded me a lot of Hob, and also in the way that I assume sooner or later I'd get lost in a sprawl of map layouts I couldn't quite remember. But it does look great.

36 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yes, the video I was watching of this yesterday reminded me a lot of Hob, and also in the way that I assume sooner or later I'd get lost in a sprawl of map layouts I couldn't quite remember. But it does look great.

33 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I really enjoyed Hob. It was a bit simple and clearly hamstrung but budgetary constraints, but still great. If this is in that vein, that’s very encouraging. 

Yeah, the aesthetic and tone are quite different (although both games featured silent protagonists in a mysterious world), but the exploration and secret hunting is quite reminiscent of it, I think.

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

Is the Strength upgrade broken? I've levelled it up twice now but enemies are still taking 3 hits to kill!

Nope, it definitely works. Standard hollows/zombies to down in 2 now instead of 3 for me.

I'm having a ball with this. Some of the dialogue is laugh out loud funny. And the animation is excellent. I love how the little forest spirits open up their petals, desperate for your approval, if you stand still next to them.

I encountered the 

Spoiler

squid man in the pub earlier.

'Greetings, fellow biped!'

:lol:

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

'Greetings, fellow biped!'

Spoiler

Now imagine how boring his hints would be if there was a map, and how little time, relatively is needed to find the locations with the hints.

I would quite like the hints written down though.

I'm very much enjoying smashing motherfuckers with the 

Spoiler

Thunder Hammer.

I've now got to the Frog King's Domain. The music and aesthetic is gorgeous. I love flooded stuff in games. Reminds me of the flooded area in Hyper Light Drifter 😍

This has completely monopolised my gaming time. Skyward Sword hasn't had a look in since I started it.

15 hours ago, Jamie John said:

This has completely monopolised my gaming time. Skyward Sword hasn't had a look in since I started it.

I’d forgotten about that. How’s that one game a month rule going?

Although, I crumbled and bought this yesterday, too. Seems nice so far, and makes a very nice change from Returnal. I beat the cathedral boss yesterday. Lovey so far, though I do find the movement and roll ever so slightly less responsive than I’d like them to be. 

Totally get the complaints about no health bars, too. Stops you from taking more risks, which I think is a bad thing. 

This is an excellent achievement - such a complete vision for two people.

I felt like it took too long to be upgraded, which made some of the gameplay a little repetitive. You see so much that you can't do yet, but it seems like you're 50% of the way through the game before you start getting much. And the stat points seem to be making a negligible difference. 

But they're small issues in what has been, so far, one of my favourite games of the year. Although trudging back every time you die can fuck off. It's just a boring mechanic that makes beautifully designed areas become spaces you can't wait to never see again.

49 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I still say this needs some sort of map or zoom out feature. Every time I come back to play I have no idea where I've been or places I missed are.

Despite being very early on, I'd agree with this. Even the couple of times I died to the cathedral boss, I managed to get lost on the way back to him and it felt like I was taking the long way round. It'd be less of an issue if the areas weren't so visually similar and basically designed like mazes.

I can 100% see where you're coming from with the Hob comparison, @Jamie John. I was hoping this would be much more polished than it is, though. It still seems slightly rough around the edges.

Is it a Unity game? I can't see anything about that when it boots up, but it seems to suffer from Unity's ugly-menu syndrome and doesn't seem to support Quick Resume, either.

7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I can 100% see where you're coming from with the Hob comparison, @Jamie John. I was hoping this would be much more polished than it is, though. It still seems slightly rough around the edges.

Is it a Unity game? I can't see anything about that when it boots up, but it seems to suffer from Unity's ugly-menu syndrome and doesn't seem to support Quick Resume, either

Maybe it's because I'm playing it on XSX, but I can't say I've noticed that many rough edges, really. It all seems pretty tight and precise to me.

I do think a map or some sort of compass would be welcome, though - I'm approaching the end of the game now, I think, but want to mop up all the shrines and plant pots before I get there, and it's a job to remember where I have and haven't been. There's definitely something to be said for just exploring and seeing what you can find, however - it's really satisfying to just come across a secret after noticing something strange in the environment. Maybe some sort of way point system would work, so you can tag something you want to come back to later.

You might unlock something similar in the end game, though, so we'll see. I'm still not sure what all these circular stone patterns on the floor are about. They look like teleport points, but I can't use them yet. I'm enjoying the mystery!

I've been having a persistent micro stutter on my PC so have ditched it for now because it's very annoying. It is a lovely piece of work although I am two great souls in and starting to feel a bit bored with the combat.

• Jamie John changed the title to Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Xbox/PC/Switch/PS4 - GOTY 2021!