Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Xbox/PC/Switch/PS4 - GOTY 2021!

Jamie John

1 hour ago, Ry said:

I don't even know how to get into the mansion. All the doors have keys when first inside. I take. It I have to beat that knight boss then? 

The roll attack, followed by a roll right back out will make short work of those knights. It's a very useful move, and you can attack in a different direction to your roll for drivebys.

I just 100%'d this, after spending too long finding the last bit in Lockstone. Here are some tips I wish I'd known earlier, and aren't overtly explained:

Stone discs on the floor:

Spoiler

They need a drop attack from above

Finding seeds:

Spoiler

The trowel, once you have it, will shimmer in the item screen if a seed is nearby. More awkward than HUD, but better than randomly wandering around.

Finding plant pots:

Spoiler

Once you've done the chess puzzle and beaten his Gran, Pothead is in front of the big door behind the chess puzzle, and will tell you where to look.

Now I'm after something similar, but more puzzle-heavy. Any recs?

32 minutes ago, schmojo said:

The roll attack, followed by a roll right back out will make short work of those knights. It's a very useful move, and you can attack in a different direction to your roll for drivebys.

I just 100%'d this, after spending too long finding the last bit in Lockstone. Here are some tips I wish I'd known earlier, and aren't overtly explained:

Stone discs on the floor:

Hide contents

They need a drop attack from above

Finding seeds:

Hide contents

The trowel, once you have it, will shimmer in the item screen if a seed is nearby. More awkward than HUD, but better than randomly wandering around.

Finding plant pots:

Hide contents

Once you've done the chess puzzle and beaten his Gran, Pothead is in front of the big door behind the chess puzzle, and will tell you where to look.

Now I'm after something similar, but more puzzle-heavy. Any recs?

Re. Pothead, that's interesting - I don't think I encountered him by

Spoiler

the door in the garden at all. After the Witch Mansion section he moved to a red tent near the pub.

And I didn't realise the trowel glowed, either, but then I think I found all of the pots and seeds naturally, just from playing the game.

What bit were you stuck on in Lockstone?

Just experienced a big first playing this, in all the years I've been playing videogames.

I actually laughed out loud.

Spoiler

The intro to the frog boss.

Just finished beating Grandma. 

This game is such a Gem and actually amusing at times. Will definitely be up there as a GOTY contender for me. 

It's certainly the best I have played so far this year (I really wish I could play It Takes Two as that might beat it) 

At the icy area now and those gauntlets are really ratcheting up in terms of difficulty. Fuck those spear guys in the armpit.

I am head over heels for this game though. I find it absolutely staggering that a title this perfectly pitched, beautifully composed, wonderfully detailed, subtly hilarious, satisfyingly executed and refreshingly compact was made by just two people.

Actually quite inspiring when you think about it.

I think I’m on the final boss and while I’m not quite as in love with this as others, it’s been very good throughout. Bosses have been the highlight, for me, but I think I might have missed some puzzles.

Spoiler

The Betty boss fight wasn’t particularly great, but the Crow one was very good. I suspect a lot of effort went into that.

Currenty on the Lord of Doors, though I’ve only had one go at it and didn’t get past the corridor with all the bulls in it.

Just finished it, missed one of the magic shrines but that's ok, I wasn't really using magic much.

Overall I think it's great, very Souls inspired in many ways - the combat and level design particularly although it's got a bit more Metroidvania going on in places.

One mechanic I had an issue with is the roll, you travel too far and the i-frames are too generous. This has two effects, you sometimes survive mistakes that you should be punished for but, conversely, because the roll is so long you sometimes get punished as you come out of the roll by stuff you couldn't reasonably preempt. This is something the Souls games get right, where the roll or dash cover much less ground and the i-frames are less generous. Hades, for me, makes exactly the same mistake and is the worse for it.

Anyhow, it's an absolutely cracking game for the most part, the mechanics are tight, the art direction is just  wonderful and some of the characters really stay with you. Very much hope it does well and can't wait to see what they do next. 

Finished this earlier. I don’t think this’ll be particularly memorable for me, let alone GOTY, but I enjoyed my time with it and don’t think it was a waste of money. 

I can’t really put my finger on it, but this just lacked a certain spark for me. It’s a great achievement for only two people to make, but neither the puzzles nor the combat had that certain spark to make them truly special. 

I liked the world, and I think the gravedigger was probably the highlight - his melancholy eulogies were wonderful. But at times, even the world seemed to lack a bit of cohesion, making it feel a bit disjointed overall. 

As if to confirm my feeling that I am just a bit of a miserable sod in general with regard to games at the moment (and so my “I liked it but not that much” is probably equivalent to immense praise), Eurogamer have just given this and Essential:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-30-deaths-door-review-wonderfully-honed-zelda-like-with-a-soulful-edge

I'm at the last boss and I think I have to give up. It's putting me back so far after I die and it's just annoying. 

To anyone who's finished:

Spoiler

Is it worth wondering around with the squid in the endgame? You can't teleport where he wants to go, you have to schlep there - so I didn't bother. Also the bell tower turning the world dark with pink floaty ghosts? Couldn't figure out what was going on there.

43 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm at the last boss and I think I have to give up. It's putting me back so far after I die and it's just annoying. 

If it's the bit where you have to:

Spoiler

follow him through worlds then I don't think you have to hit him - just avoid him and the charging bull statues. I did attack him throughout but don't think I needed to, once you make it through a set number of worlds you end up in the final fight which isn't that tricky, crucially you don't have to do the world jumping bit again. I agree though, that bit is a little tedious

13 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

To anyone who's finished:

Hide contents

Is it worth wondering around with the squid in the endgame? You can't teleport where he wants to go, you have to schlep there - so I didn't bother. Also the bell tower turning the world dark with pink floaty ghosts? Couldn't figure out what was going on there.

Spoiler

There are far fewer enemies in the dark, so with l the shortcuts, it takes you about five minutes to get to where he wants you to go. Doing it is necessary to unlock the secret ending, as well as about five or six other secret things.

Re. the pink, floaty ghosts, they follow you - you need to lead each one to something close to where you find them. Again, this will unlock something which is necessary to get the secret ending.

I thought it was a fun game to 100%, myself. Figuring everything out isn't too taxing and is really satisfying. It only took me about two hours to 100% it after beating the final boss, so it's not a massive slog or anything.

So I’ve done Grandma and made my way East to the sunken bit. However I make it so far in (to the first door) and then I’m stuck in the area with the big frog statue without seeming to be able to do anything. There are glowing green blocks about but can’t seem to do anything with them. Am I missing a power and where do I go if I am? 

18 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

So I’ve done Grandma and made my way East to the sunken bit. However I make it so far in (to the first door) and then I’m stuck in the area with the big frog statue without seeming to be able to do anything. There are glowing green blocks about but can’t seem to do anything with them. Am I missing a power and where do I go if I am? 

Have you unlocked the 

Spoiler

bomb

ability yet?

Just now, Jamie John said:

Have you unlocked the 

Hide contents

bomb

ability yet?

No. I was heading East as instructed but guess I need to get what you said first. Which direction should I be going? 

8 hours ago, Yiggy said:

No. I was heading East as instructed but guess I need to get what you said first. Which direction should I be going? 

I'm not quite sure where you are. From the graveyard hub area, you need to go east until you find a 

Spoiler

monster-operated gondola thing that you have to summon by lighting a bonfire. This will take you to the Overgrown Ruins area. The bomb ability is found here, eventually. Until you have the bomb, to get through the glowing green blocks to get to the centre of the area, you need to 

Spoiler

draw the fire of the big green bomb flowers with the orange petals, like this:

https://eip.gg/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Orange-Flower-Tech-Deaths-Door-Walkthrough-GIF.gif

Eventually you'll come across some friendly NPC characters that sort of look like teddies with antlers. If you help them out, they'll open the way forward for you to the next dungeon.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'm not quite sure where you are. From the graveyard hub area, you need to go east until you find a 

Hide contents

monster-operated gondola thing that you have to summon by lighting a bonfire. This will take you to the Overgrown Ruins area. The bomb ability is found here, eventually. Until you have the bomb, to get through the glowing green blocks to get to the centre of the area, you need to 

Hide contents

draw the fire of the big green bomb flowers with the orange petals, like this:

https://eip.gg/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Orange-Flower-Tech-Deaths-Door-Walkthrough-GIF.gif

Eventually you'll come across some friendly NPC characters that sort of look like teddies with antlers. If you help them out, they'll open the way forward for you to the next dungeon.

Thanks that’s exactly where I am but I hadn’t clicked that there was something to do with the big plant things. Ta. 

Finished this. Just under 8 hours, and 79% complete. Upgraded my health once and magic wasn't upgraded.

Most fun I've had with a game all year, not that I've played much tbh. Great world design, fun combat, decent script and it looks glorious.

As originally thought, a tad on the easy side as the I-frames are silly generous  and like any top down/isometric combat game, patience rather than spamming buttons wins the race.

No interest in mopping anything up as I'm not a completionist, but for my tastes this is a [9].

I also finished this today and thought it was very good on the whole. Maybe not quite in the upper echelon of indie games, simply because I found the art and audio a little stronger than the actual gameplay but it was all very solid and enjoyable. The final two boss fights were excellent also, really elevated the game in the final stretch. 

After being waylaid by Flight Simulator, I went back to this yesterday and this morning, beating the Frog King and made my West to the Tower. Annoyingly, I wasn't paying attention to the achievements and I've missed a couple. Is there an option to replay anything once you complete the game, or is it a case of starting from scratch? If the latter, then I guess it may as well be an umbrella run attempt :lol:

12 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

After being waylaid by Flight Simulator, I went back to this yesterday and this morning, beating the Frog King and made my West to the Tower. Annoyingly, I wasn't;t paying attention to the achievements and I've missed a couple. Is there an option to replay anything once you complete the game, or is it a case of starting from scratch? If the latter, then I guess it may as well be an umbrella run attempt :lol:

There's no way, unfortunately. I missed the same two that you're talking about as well, I think. I'm also contemplating an umbrella run, too...

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

There's no way, unfortunately. I missed the same two that you're talking about as well, I think. I'm also contemplating an umbrella run, too...

These two?

Spoiler

Set fire to the Witches' Urn
Feed a Bomb to the Frog King

7 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

These two?

Hide contents

Set fire to the Witches' Urn
Feed a Bomb to the Frog King

Yup! I've got all the achievements apart from those two and the umbrella run one.

• Jamie John changed the title to Death's Door - Isometric action-adventure from the makers of Titan Souls - Xbox/PC/Switch/PS4 - GOTY 2021!